foot position problems

I hate to admit this, but I have not quite figured out a reliable way to change my foot position while pedaling.

I know some things:

. putting weight on the seat helps

. pedaling really fast over rough terrain bounces the feet around giving me a chance to reposition the stance.

. stopping, going to stillstand, moving the foot

. roll the foot off of the ball, then lift it to move it.

None of those options are working out so that I can change my foot position reliably while riding. I’ve tried practicing the skill to no avail.

Moreover, I keep getting more grippy pedals (Primo Tenderizor -> Snafu -> Eastern) so the problem’s getting worse.

Anyone had a clear breakthrough that I can use to reliably reposition my feet on super-grippy pedals?

Just take your foot off the pedal the tiniest little bit to change it, and if you cant ride one footed dont worry becuase when you take it off like 1/2 an inch to change it you wont notice it. that what i have alwasy done even before my one foot abilities

Chase

Learn to one foot, then you can take a foot off, and then replace it without any problems.

The alternative would to just live with your foot positions unless they are horrible, or get less grippy shoes. Sometimes you can find skater shoes with really fine patterns that the peddal pins wont fit into. Thats what I use, and they are nice, they have a bit of a grip but if I don’t put alot of weight on them I can slide them along the peddal, its only annoying when its raining outside, becasue then my feet tend to slip off when I don’t want them too.

to change foot position, I personally ride really slowly to start. when your foot is coming over the top, take all your weight off it, reposition it, then push it down to keep the wheel going. then do the same with the other foot. it’s sometimes hard to balance, but it works for me…

Clarification, the environment is UMX style riding.

1. Pedals need to be grippy.
  2. 1 footing is impractical because of the terrain.
  3. The bumps seem to prevent me from unweighting the foot.

I don’t get it. The bumps are moving your feet out of position, yet you are unable to move your feet.

When you hit a bump, your foot is bounced momentarily above the pedal. All you have to do is the same thing, by yourself. Obviously not while you’re flying over major bumps.

The other method I sometimes use is to twist my heel from side to side. This keeps the foot in contact with the pedal but allows me to move it around until I like where it is.

Mostly you just need to practice and you’ll get it figured out.

Sometimes your foot gets knocked to a really bad position (like heel on the pedal) while you’re still in a gnarly spot, and you have to keep going like that until you get through it. You usually can’t do any fine-tuning of foot position if you’re riding at top speed. You may have to slow down for that. Even in a race, it’s better than falling off!

Different Shoes I find change how easy or difficult it is to get your foot in that sweet spot. Any shoes that have arches on the bottom thend to mess me up and I find myself moving my foot around too much to find the position that feels comfortable.

This is why virtually every pair of shoes I own now have flat soles.

Might be another thing to concider in fixing the position of your feet.

Checkernuts is right, you should buy a pair of shoes just for unicycling with flat soles. I recommend skate shoes. they don’t need to be too expensive, but if you do big drops you want them to have a bit of support.

I sometimes have this problem too in more challenging terrain or when fatigued. I ride in Dualy’s and mount with my right foot in place but sometimes my left foot doesn’t land quite right and I ride off in an awkward left foot position. I have quite a bit of pressure on the pedals and it is hard to adjust. Just got to ride with the wierd foor postion until you can wiggle your foot enough to shift it into position.

I use Duallys and really grippy pedals. My two main techniques are:

1. The corner rotation – rock your foot up (while pedaling of course) on one of the outside corners of the pedal. Rotate the foot on that corner and then rock it back down. Even over rough ground, you can repeat this until your foot position has improved.

2. The sideways skooch – this works best on smooth pavement and is a little riskier. Rock your foot outwards so that the pressure is on the outside edge. When your foot comes up in the pedaling cycle, pull it up faster so there is little or no pressure on it, then quickly pull the entire foot sideways towards the frame.

Another technique that works well on rough ground is to do a single idle, which gives you all the time in the world to lift your top foot off and reposition it.

Yeah i have noticed my feet slip a lot. The only reason they do this though is becuae they get wet. I have noticed the if you use the pedals with the little metal spikes on them you get less slippage but you also get big holes in your shins. its a trade off ig uess

I think I found a method to move the foot (that wasn’t mentioned above):

Stomp down on the pedal with the foot that you want to move (when it is towards the rear of the cycle).
Then use the “compression” to lift the foot off the pedal.

It seems to work over bumps and durning banked turns, etc.