Folding@Home challenge

Hello again! It’s been a while since I posted anything in these forums, so here goes:

I have recently purchased a new CPU to aid in our Folding efforts. It is a Mobile Athlon XP 2500+, originally made for notebook computers. Some guy found out that these are exceptionally good overclocking CPUs.

The default speed for these is 1.86GHz. I have mine running smoothly at 2.7GHz. Yes! A 2.7GHz CPU that isn’t an Intel something! Needless to say, I am very glad I purchased one of these. The maximum speed I have been able to achieve so far is 2.8GHz, although it was very unstable. Click to see a screenshot of amazing proportions.

My two brothers and I have all switched to my brother, David’s user name (winterburnd) in an effort to beat our parents, whose user name is Dan_&_Cyndy_Winterburn.

The challenge I have in mind is to beat mgrant in the folding@home rankings. I believe it is possible, although we will need more people in the winterburnd alliance. Are you with us?

It doesn’t really matter whose user name does what because all the points go to our team, but I thought it would be interesting to see how long it would take to pass mgrant, master of folders.

Other than that, keep on folding for ol’ team # 13392!

Sounds like fun! What username should I change to?

Hey, wait a minute…

-mg

What’s folding@home? :thinking:

Taken from the folding@home site

What does Folding@Home do?

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease

Re: Folding@Home challenge

So, do you still believe?

-mg

Since i got the cluster here compiling under my name it’s helping (slowly) close the gap between myself and mgrant. BTW MG, what kind of computers make up those 37 processors?

I did install this on a new G5 tower and man does it book. Added a cron job that starts and stops it so it only runs after business hours. It really takes advantage of AltiVec.

I noticed that our team ranking moved from the 180’s to the 150’s in the last 5 months AND alot of people on the list have quit folding (0 active processors in the last week)

matt

Now that I’m back on the net, my computer will be folding nonstop. It only takes a few minutes to upload my info and download the next bunch, so even if I can’t connect for half the day, my computer is still in.

Technically it should only be about 20. The machines get re-imaged often and when fah runs for the first time it “thinks” its a new computer. So, over the next little while the number of CPUs will probably climb while in reality they are duplicates.

Most of the machines are Dell GX270s. I’ve also got an HP D220, HP c5000 (?), HP Omnibook 6000, Sony VAIO, and a handful of miscellenouse machines.

Like you, I have access to a test lab. Too bad I cannot run fah on all the computers. There are close to 1000 in the lab.

-mg