Flexibility of trials wheels

Hi there,

I am thinking about getting a trials-type 20" unicycle (a Tuni, as it has been called recently), and I have a few newbie tire questions:

1. I understand that a 20" Monty tire uses a 19" rim. Would I be limited to trials-only tires on this rim, or can some more slick freestyle type tires fit?

2. If not, would the Hookworm tire (used for BMX) fit and be an ok compromise?

3. If not, how difficult would it be to change the wheel between rides (assuming that the unicycle would have main-cap bearings)?

The reason I ask is that I (like many, I would imagine) have limited funds to devote to unicycling <sigh> and I would like to have a multi-purpose 20" to add to the clutter in my apartment <grin>. I am interested in playing with both trials and freestyle maneuvers on this machine, but I wouldn’t be serious enough for competition in either trials nor freestyle (just for fUn!).

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom, O Venerable Uni Experts! :slight_smile:

andrea

The 19" rims will only fit the trials style tires like the Monty tire. You will need to opt for two wheels, one for trials and one for freestyle, and swap them as needed. A frame with main cap style bearing holders will make this type of swap easy to do. Along with swapping the wheel you’ll need to adjust the seat height from trials height to freestyle height.

Ideally both wheels should use the same brand of hub (for example the Suzue hub) so that the bearing spacing will be the same. That will make wheel swaps easier. If you try to use two different brands of hubs then you’ll need to confirm with unicycle.com that both hubs use the same bearing spacing.

Re: Flexibility of trials wheels

See, catching on already! I did use that last year some time though…

If a mountain unicycle is a Muni and a trials unicycle is a Tuni, would a freestyle unicycle be a Funi?

just askin’

Daniel

So it follows that a giraffe unicycle is a GUni (goony), yah?

And a Distance uni is a Duni. but it’s not really that important, I just wanted to abreviate something.

An one with spikes for ice riding…a Zambuni?

Or a distance uni could be a “Cuni”, if a Coker. I think duni sounds better, but cuni looks kind of cool. :smiley:

Thanks for the wheel info, John. That helps a lot.

andrea

Unless you’re in Mississippi where “Cuni” does not sound like an endearing term.

this is all pretty Luni Ha Ha Ha Ha HA HA HA HAH???

Oh God, here come’s Martha :roll_eyes:

You RANG ???

[B][I]Obviously, Mr. Sofa needs to have his doilies changed.
My newest doily crochet patterns can be found in my latest book, “Embellishments for the Davenport, Couch, Ottoman, Hassock, and even the lowly Sofa”.

Actually, now that those humid summer months have passed, it’s the perfect time for that reupholstering project you’ve been procrastinating. I can recommend some lovely damask brocades, if you wish.

But please!
DO continue using the name of the Almighty in the same sentence with my name!
I find it deliciously blasphemous!

I spell my name “Maatha”, by the way, dear. [/I][/B]

RE: nickname for distance unicycle

Ah. I didn’t think of that…

“Duni” it is!

My apologies.

andrea

ahhhh she’s attacking unicycling.com RUN!!!

maatha needs a haircut

Maaatha Maatha Maatha, Your back, we were all so very happy you were gone,too bad :angry:
We all just have to listen to your sass longer.
Tuni,Muni, Cuni, Funi,Zambuni, Duni, Guni, as jagur said this is all pretty luni. So would a kangaroo be a Kuni? And a broken unicycle…POS?

Wouldn’t a kangaroo, be a kangaruni?

how about some one wheel skin art…a tattuni?

I swear, that’s my last one :astonished:

[B]Darling Unispin, I would never DREAM of attacking unicycling.com!
They’re my FAVOURITE vendor of unicycling products!

Perhaps you are confused…

…but there’s still no reason to be afraid… I wouldn’t hurt a fly! (unless it was trying to deposit salmonella on my fresh Waldorf Salad)

Yet, running IS a very effective form of aerobic exercise.
In moderation, it is a form of cross-training that brings physiological benefits to the average unicyclist at a reduced psychological-stress level… by affording a respite from the heckling that often accompanies public unicycling.

[/B]

Back on the original topic, I suggest you just get the Trials uni and use it for everything. I’ve heard various mentions that a Trials uni is not good for Freestyle, but I’ve yet to see the evidence.

I have only two problems with my Trials uni for freestyle:

1. Tire marks the floor. This only matters if you ride indoors.

2. Long cranks. This is only a problem if your Trials uni has long cranks.

The old Schwinn 20" unis came with 140mm cranks. They work, they’re just a little long. you can get by with them for both Trials or Freestyle. 125mm would be even better. I used 125mm cranks on my Freestyle uni from 1984 (the year I started usind 20") to this year, when I got my new one.

As regards tuni, funi, guni, kangaruni, stuni, ultuni, and even MUni, remember these terms are meaningful only to us, not the general population. So if you’re making T-shirts, or other public forms of messaging, remember to spell out “unicycle” if you want people to know what you’re all about.

So Zambuni is cool then?

Great!

Tell me about it. I had some “MUNI MILITIA” stickers made, and nobody has a clue what they mean. Of course, this just gives me a chance to explain it to them and tell them how much fun muni is.

Mojoe of the MUNI MILITIA
http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/

sticker1.jpg