Flatland, LX or DX?

I had a DX for a long time. I will agree that the cranks are pretty strong, but one of my friends had one and after a fwe 7 stair jumps, they were definitely really bent. But that’s not the issue here. The issue is if you want the fat tire with cranks that offer nothing but some strength (mine unscrewed on me, bashed my ankles countless times, and ruined at least 3 pairs of shoes) or if you want to make it easier on yourself to land crankrolls and freestyle tricks. Neither of those cranksets are that great for crankrolls, which are a large part of flat. If you want my honest opinion, both the DX and LX suck. No matter which one you choose, you will have to mod it. If you have money, definitely invest in some moment cranks (or maybe just a KH wheel) The KH stuff is superior in every way. I understand that Money doesn’t grow on trees, either. So if it’s between the two, i’m gonna cast my vote for LX.

What!?!?! why would you spend money and get a wheelset that

A. Has hub/flange problems
B. Isnt going to fit his frame

you might as well get a whole new uni

Yeah, I’ve been eyeing the Nimbus Street.

ME TOO. But i dont like the seatpost so i think im gonna go custom and get a nimbus hub, kh rim, 125mm moments, this frame try all sticky and ill prolly transfer my post and kh seat w/cf base

I’ve heard this complaint a lot. I’m not very versed in unicycle parts, but is it really that bad? All I’m going to be doing is flat and at max like 4-5 sets.

i havnt actually tried it…but i bent my cromo (25.4) post (all they offer in 22mm is alu) so im not to comfortable with aluminum and dont wanna risk it.

The DX bearings are not too big, both the LX and DX use 40mm bearings.

i thought so…caus my friend did it…tight fit but…

Well I took the wheelset off of the LX and tried to put it on the DX, and the only place it caught was at the bearings. The tire fit, just when it got to the bearings the part of the frame that is supposed to go around them(for lack of knowing the name of said part) didn’t fit on the DX bearings, the diameter was too big.

just go with the lx. its so much better. its only around 10 lbs and everything on it is perfect except for the strength. as long as you stick to just FLATland it will be fine. If I were to enter a flatland competition, I would probably ask if I could borrow someones LX. it has such a better flatland feel than anything else Ive tried.

Haha that is interesting. I have never seen a pair of cotterless cranks that I thought would work well for flat. I would rather use a dx over an lx but they are both not as good as koxx street cranks. There are definitely things I don’t like about the koxx cranks too but out of the current available options I think they are the best.

Have you ever tried the dx cranks? Theyre just horrible for flat, in my opinion. I do think koxx cranks are probably the best, but for flatland i really really like light unicycles. I also prefer a freestyle width wheel. And i like the lx frame too, i guess it would be better with koxx cranks, but just slightly, and it would add weight (i think)

I have tried the dx cranks but that was before I did flat stuff. The pinch bolt looks like it would be annoying but I can’t imagine it actually stopping your roll. A while ago I tried flat stuff on cotterless cranks and it was definitely noticeably harder, the curved part near the axle isn’t wide enough to give you a good place to stand on.
For a day I had a 20" wheel with an odyssey 7ka rim and a koxx hub/street cranks in my domina frame and it was really cool. It was really light (I assume lighter than an lx because of the aluminum frame, my super light khe tire and my thomson post). Although ideally in my mind flatland should have no static hops, it is really really hard to not do them and hopping on high psi 20" unis is very uncomfortable. Eventually I will probably go back to riding a 20" wheel for pure flat but I really like to have one main uni that I can ride any style with.

your uni must be sweet. K1 hub+street cranks domina frame and twisted pc’s thompson post and derail base right? that must be so sweet:D

Yeah, I like it. The street cranks tend to destroy shoes pretty quickly though.

i do that skating anyway. but the moments arnt to bad so i think im gonna stick with those

I don’t know what a 7ka rim is… but I can tell you that a lx is WAY lighter than a stock kh…