Five Ten Riding Shoe Reviews:

I wear a 13E in most and a 14 in others. I wear the Sam hills you gave me tons still. So I am going to look into getting some barons

Wrong shoes could lead to face plant

First post… just started to learn unicycling last fall… I’m at the point now where I can ride straight for as long as needed… getting the hang of doing figure 8s (right is easy; still working on left)… I’ve been free mounting for a couple of months.

I’ve seen somewhere on the 'net about tieing the shoe laces. At 53 I learned to tie my laces a long time ago and generally think not tieing shoe laces is privy to the domain of those who also wear their pants on the ground.

I was out practicing figure 8s this morning and did a face plant when my laces got caught (I’m not sure what). I went down so fast it reminded me of the day I first bought my uni… Luckily I didn’t get hurt other than a contusion on my left thumb and a scaped knee.

As a former runner I was wearing an old pair of running shoes. I always double tie my laces. After that crash, I quad-tied them before getting back on.

Fortunately I was on my 20". I have a 24" and the fall would have been slightly higher.

I’ve been monitoring this thread for about a week… after the face plant… I just ordered a pair of Barons. Thanks to all for the detailed reviews/comparisons.

In case anyone needs a reminder, or is new to unicycling, or thinks it won’t happen to them (like me), make sure your laces are secure and buttoned down.

Even when I double tie my laces, I have to re-tighten them every hour or half-hour

Cyclone

I have been looking at these.

I have just go a schlumpf and though they would be less likely to catch the switch? and the top strap will keep the laces tucked in :slight_smile:

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/10925-cyclone

I just came back from a LBS, I just bought a pair of 5.10 Freeriders! They look really nice, the sole looks really strong. I haven’t tried them for riding yet since it’s raining, I’m going to be riding them for Trials, Street and a little bit of flatland. I will finaly have a pair of shoe that’s going to last more than 1 month! :slight_smile:

Jaco, which ones did you get?

Before you get them too nasty to return, check out my reviews and make sure you have either the black/white or red/black version, the others suffer from sole delam (grey, blue).

Alan, the cyclone has a recessed and removable spd cleat mount which is not going to be flush and not going to give good traction.

The laces on some of five ten shoes have a “knobby” texture which keeps them from coming undone. I have had zero problems with laces loosening on the knobby laces.

I bought the white/burgundy(?). The sole looks good. What’s wrong with the “not-good” ones? Also, the bike shop I got them from only had those and the grey/black for my size of shoe.

No need to quad tie your shoelaces, I’ve been wearing these for over a year: http://www.tongueties.net/order.html

:slight_smile:

Take a look at the sole of the shoes you bought. Is their a rand (edging) that wraps the edge of the sole, styled kinda like a converse sneaker? If you’re not sure, then take a look at the Baron:

Notice how the sole on the Baron is glued edge to edge on the midsole and there is no rand. Now look at the Freerider Burgundy:

Can you see the rand? The problem with the “randed” Freerides is that the pedal cleats will tear the rand loose from the side of the shoe. It happened to me on two pairs, so not an anomally.

Order the Baron, White/Black and maybe Blue Zebra (seb picture shows a new styled sole), these all have the improved sole. Now it’s possible the soles have been improved on the Grey and Burgundy, but you’ll need to judge it for yourself.

Also, note that there are two styles of uppers: The White/Black and Baron have a back stirrup strap exterior and Impact styled lacing, these uppers appear to be more robust than the Grey, Burgundy, and Blue Zebra which have the side strap upper and eyelit lacing. All of the Freeriders have a skate style “thick” tongue which does pack down after awhile. The Baron has a normal thin tongue.

My wife and daughter are riding in the White/Black, great shoes, nice and stable, same design as the Baron. I’m loving my Barons, super stable and comfy, might have to spring for a smaller size though, they apparently run big…

Jaco, I’d take em back and order one of the others, it’s worth the wait and extra $$

Thanks a lot for that post! But looking at these pictures, my shoes are like the first picture. I had problems with some other pair of shoe that were exactly like the second picture, I would not have bought them if they were like that. I’m still trying to find the perfect shoes, I’m pretty sure the 5.10 Freeriders will be the best yet. I haven’t ridden them hard enough yet!

Hey Jaco, it’s possible Five Ten updated all of their Freerider soles, which would be great!

Enjoy the shoes, I love mine, can’t imagine riding without a stick sole :slight_smile:

hi ben i was fanceing the impacts but your swaying me to the baron iv been using my dc trainers so i tried some walking boots could not tell where my foot was on the pedal the impacts look like they can take a beeting is the baron as tough we dont seem to have them in the shops hear so can only look at the pics

The Impacts are more like boots, lacking in feel, clunky, which is why I like the Freeriders. The Baron is much more robust that the grey/blck Freeriders, which is my old shoe. I have been riding the Baron 2-3 x week for the past month and they have not changed, same stiffness, soles look brand new, uppers have been trashed on by yours truly and other than being dirty, they are like new.

The only thing I’d say is the y fit big, so order your standard size and a smaller size 1/2-1 size smaller, then keep the one that fits best. The red color is a bit much at first, but with a little mud they start looking real good :slight_smile:

thanks ben are they flat on the inside i have flat feet and carnt have any instep on my trainer which sucks

Hmmm… interesting.

I’ve been wearing shoestring replacements that tri-athletes use on my work shoes for several years now. They convert a laced shoe into a laced shoe that you slip on… no more tying knots… and no dangling loops.

http://www.yankz.com/Yankz-Sure-Lace-System-Difference-s/43.htm

I’ll probably get a set for my red barons.

I tried the yankz, I like tying my shoes too much :slight_smile:
The tongue ties just work… I bought a couple more to have on each of my uni shoes.

Completely flat, you can add as much or as little arch support as you want.

I love the Barons, so nice and roomy, not hot, just enough support without lacking feeling, nice for walking :roll_eyes:

Good to know. I have custom made orthotics for my flat feet (flat as a board) and they’re made of a hard synthetic (could be carbon fiber). One thing I’ve noticed from unicycle riding, is that my inserts will actually wear through the wall of the shoe where my shoe occasionally rubs the crank. How thick or durable would you say the inner side-walls are?

About the same as a good pair of hiking boots. Maybe you could trim the edges on your orthotics so they aren’t as abrasive or wrap the edges so they don’t bite into the shoe.

I really have only noticed it in walking or running shoes, but the issue is that it is the arch where I need the most support, and they barely fit into shoes as it is. Maybe a small piece of leather between them or something though.