First Wheel

Poll: What wheel size did you learn to unicycle on?

Re: First Wheel

glopal wrote:
> Poll: What wheel size did you learn to unicycle on?

36".

Make a searching and fearless moral self-inventory. Admit to yourself
and to another human the exact nature of your wrongs. List the people
you have harmed. Make direct amends to such people wherever possible,
except when to do so would injure them or others. Continue to take
personal inventory and when wrong promptly admit it.

A 20" Schwinn with cottered cranks.

20 inches.

And a bit of a thread hijack, but still quite related. After mastering general riding on your first unicycle, if you bought a second unicycle of another wheel size, what was the size of the second wheel, and how long did it take for you to get used to it?

I learned on a 20. A year later I got a 24. It took roughly 10 minutes to get used to it.

Daniel

I first tried on a 24" P.O.S. with little success and bought a 20" Stealth Torker and learned pretty quickly. Once I felt comfortable on the Torker, I bought a 24" Yuni Muni and had no trouble adjusting to it and ride it exclusively now

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 10:14:20 -0500, glopal
<glopal.m6wvz@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Poll: What wheel size did you learn to unicycle on?

See the table at <www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn.htm>
And read that it matters, too, for learning time required.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“661, neighbourhood of the Beast”

20", then a KH24 muni.

Started on a 16" red Troxel with solid rubber tire.
Bought a 24" Taiwan, broke that in a month
Bought a 20" United/Monty/Profile. Broke my neck.
Bought a 20" Semcycle Freestyle. Hated freestyle stuff.
Built a 24" NII/Profile/Alex/Fireball. Ride hard every day I can.

Was this thread was on before. :frowning: I think it was. Getting to hate repeats. Oh well, here it is.

A 20" Juggleart Standard Unicycle.

David.

24" Cottered POS

A 24" cottered Schwinn I haggled for in a Pawn shop for $15. I think it’s got the old style seat, probably from the 70’s/80’s. I learned on it, then leant it to some friends to learn on after I bought a 24" savage from a bike shop for $110 (mistake!). The ol’ Schwinn is still circulating around the Hell On Wheel gang.

I’ve since bought a 24" united muni with with sun rim/suzue hub/miyata aircushion seat, a 20" torker (now being used in the Lower East Side of New York), and a 700c semcycle XL lite. I think I’m ready for a new muni, maybe with a profile hub, but still trying to decide what combo to get.

20 inch Pashley UMX

Then 26 Pashley MUni
(Quite a step up at the time)

Then a Nimbus 24
(Immediately comfortable with it)

Then a Coker (36)
Took some learning.

Then a 28
No problems

16" hard plastic tire Troxel first. Eventually learned to ride in a straight line. When attemping to turn, this proved too much for the cheap P.O.S.

At around that time, did one ride (one attempt) on a 24" Schwinn; went 100+ meters, also in a straight line.

Three years later, learned to turn on Schwinn Giraffe with 20" wheel.

A club 20", then I bought my own 20", then I bought a 24" which I rebuilt to a 700c for distances, then rebuilt to a 26" for MUni. Now I have a shed full

26"

1. 24" DM
  2. 26" DMATU
  3. 20" DM
  4. Coker
  5. 20" x 2 DM (still learning slowly)

As you can see, I like DMs.

A 20". It was a JCPenney unicycle with one piece cranks, a true P.O.S. I think the tire was solid, I can’t remember, it was around 1970.
Once I learned, I bought a 20" Columbia which got stolen. Then I bought a 24" Schwinn, I remember it was $40 new. A few years later I traded that and $200 for my first car.

Now I’ve got a bunch, including a 24" Schwinn (for sentimental reasons).

and a bit of a futher hi-jack…
when u got your second wheel, was your first reaction to say ‘this is much easier/nicer/better than the one i learnt on’?

how many people would’ve prefered to have learnt on their second wheel?

The first unicycle I owned was a Schwinn Giraffe (20"). This was followed by a 24" Schwinn. That was followed about a year later by a 24" Miyata.

For a teenager, I don’t thing there’s a significant difference between learning on a 20" or a 24". I think I might have done better on a 24". Anything would have been better than the Troxel I learned on.