First unicyclist down Mt. Monadnock, Jaffery NH

For those of you who have never been in the Northeast, follow my trip down the area’s most-climbed mountain on uni! The rolling green hills in the background belong to the beautiful Southwest corner of New Hampshire.

An off duty ranger on his way up said to us as we came down, “just when you think you’ve seen everything, a unicyclist comes down the mountain – paradise valley, even!” He radios down to the station at the bottom of the mountain and the unified sound of a dozen hands hitting their respective owner’s foreheads was heard throughout the park.

See pics and movies of trip.

It was a beautiful day and a great ride. Members of the thunderwheels will grin with pride as one of their fellow members gives a shout-out on his way down a bumpy section. See the third movie on the page.

I could have gotten a $200 fine, but the ranger let me off.

See some of you in Seattle in a couple of weeks for UNICON 11!

-Erik

Erik-

Cool flicks. That looks like a fun ride. I saw all of your thumbnails but couldn’t get any high-rez from them. See you soon.

Why did you go riding down a closed trail? Are there no trails open to bikes up there?

There are supposed to be no wheeled vehicles. But since a uni goes rawther slowly and since it doesn’t leave skids from brakes, and actually has better traction than shoes (when not falling from the seat), and because I could, I took it. This is uni training, east coast style. I hope it helps me in the west at Unicon.

-Erik

Re: First unicyclist down Mt. Monadnock, Jaffery NH

Cool. I eye that mountain every summer with lust but was leery of the park
rangers. Do you ride in Southern New Hampshire much? I’m up there riding
every August looking for good trails. Gap Mountain is pretty good.

Did you ride around the top of the mountain? For those of you who don’t know,
the top of the mountain has miles of wide open granite which looks very
ride-able.

Course some will say you are running the risk of giving Muni a bad name riding
on closed trails, (John :slight_smile: but I doubt you will find many Muniists going down
Monadnock. It’s sort a moot point. Personally I would avoid it more for the
ticket. But seeing how you got away with it, it’s tempting me. On the other
hand I suspect that there are some good mtb trails around there too.

Joe

Joe

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 21:08:48 -0500 erike
<erike.7t8jm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

For 've gothose of you who have never been in the Northeast, follow my trip
down the area’s most-climbed mountain on uni! The rolling green hills
in the background belong to the beautiful Southwest corner of New
Hampshire.

An off duty ranger on his way up said to us as we came down, “just when
you think you’ve seen everything, a unicyclist comes down the mountain
– paradise valley, even!” He radios down to the station at the bottom
of the mountain and the unified sound of a dozen hands hitting their
respective owner’s foreheads was heard throughout the park.

‘See pics and movies of trip.’
(http://erike.unicyclist.com/20020710.htm)

It was a beautiful day and a great ride. Members of the thunderwheels
will grin with pride as one of their fellow members gives a shout-out on
his way down a bumpy section. See the third movie on the page.

I could have gotten a $200 fine, but the ranger let me off.

See some of you in Seattle in a couple of weeks for UNICON 11!

-Erik

erike - recent stairmaster

erike’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/345
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/19330

rec.sport.unicycling mailing list - www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu

Hey erike,
What is the elevation of the mountain you were riding? That looks like alot of fun!

Jeff T.

erike,

WOW! Your Hunter squeaks almost as much as mine does, and with every hop too. What gives? Has it always done that? It is loud! Mine is too. Have you ever eliminated the noise?

This weekend I’m having Tommy take a look, but I’m curious as to what you have to say about your own Hunter creaking.

Lewis

Right now I’m living in Worcester MA working on a Masters in Statistics, but I’m in Keene quite a bit. Joe, I’d love to ride sometime. I’ve hiked gap mountain, but it’s been a few years.
There is a similar ‘no bikes’ on parts of the Gap Mt trail.

Jeff T. Here’s some more info about Monadnock.

Harper - links to highrez are fixed.

John, I think the rangers got quite a kick from it. The ranger on duty had to warn me because that was his job. Another ranger told me how cool it was and wanted to know more. I explained how safe it was, for me and others, and that it doesn’t tear up the trail the way other wheels would.

Thanks to all for your interest.
-Erik

Squeeky Hunter Profile hub. I asked this in another thread a few weeks ago, the answer is here

Here is some more information.

The answer seems to be to tightening up the crank bolts. Mine seem pretty tight

-Erik

DUDE!!!

hey erik!
my friend rob saw you at the top of the mountian!! he told me about it at banagans, i thought it might be you that he was talking about! i just climbed monadnock(on foot) yesterday, and was eyeing the entire trail for possibilities of riding uni down it. nice to know it was you! we’ll have to get together after i get my muni built(just missing a frame now)

(its danner btw)
RancidFlannel

I’ve been up Gap Mountain with Erik on foot, before we ever learned to ride unis. From what I recall, the trail up gets kinda steep and rugged. There is a small section about 3/4 that I found tough going on foot. But I think we deviated from the trail at that point.

Riding around up at the top would be fun. It isn’t too big of an area, compared to Monadnock, but it had some good bumps and rocks to hop up on.

Gap Mountain is a fast climb up (40min), which is perfect if you want to catch the sunrise. There are also a lot of flat rugged roads and paths in that area if you’re new to off roading. One trail extends from Keene down past Fitzwilliam. It was once a train track, but all of the tracks and ties were pulled out. I went biking on that one, so it should be all legal of unicyclists.

I think the trail up Gap Mountain is acutally part of a larger trail that extends all the way to CT. A Thunderwheel could conquer much turf in a ride like that! Ho!

Darrell