First trip on 36er since Achilles surgery

It’s been 5 months since my Achilles surgery and finally today I took the 36er out on a route that has a few decent hills and was able to get in 9.4 miles with no UPD’s.
It was just a couple weeks ago I rode around the neighborhood and had a UPD and tried to freemount and as I pushed off I could feel some discomfort in the achilles so I figured it wasn’t time yet and stuck with two wheels and the tread mill, but everyday now I feel more strength, but still cant stand on my toes yet.

Keep it up; it’s frustrating coming back from an injury, but the worst thing you can do is push it too hard and set yourself back. Listen to your body and do what feels right. I went on my first easy MUni ride this weekend since breaking my forearm; it’s hard sending people off on the gnarly trail while I take the beginners on the easy singletrack, but your health has to be #1, right?

Good job getting back up, and we’ll hope to see you out there!

beware I have had a big achilles snap before and afterwards the achilles tendon of the other leg suffered: I tended to overcompensate. So even when walking try to focus on equal balance on both legs. (now the Achilles tendon that was severed is twice the width of the other :astonished: )

Good going! I’m laid off uni like, for only one, two weeks. But this is nothing compared to the stories I have read like yours. Yeah, easing back into it is not something I’m good at - so I know what you mean about the discomfort - be careful!

Great to hear that Robert! Jacquie and I took a ride around Lake Natoma yesterday. I’m out of shape because she kicked my butt (she’s on a bike). I’ve got a long way to go to be ready for the Tahoe ride in June! Let’s get together for some rides when you have time! You set the pace and distance, of course. :slight_smile:

keep it going. maybe see ya next X-mas.