First spin feelings

Hi,

In order not to bump an old thread where i posted a question i create a new one to share what i have learnt.

Some of you replied that it was possible, thanks. Otherwise i would have given up trying this trick.

I have now (today) figured out what was my problem, and it wasn’t the crank lenght (although shorter cranks should help to pedal quicker). The most disturbing thing is my rough low pressured tire that stick to the ground : It cost a lot to make quick rotations with that, but it’s actually possible.

I noticed to that my seat was too low. My first spin came when i stood up to get higher. More exactly : i stood up, and twisted as much as i could my upper body on the side i wanted to spin. And it’s finally with this position that i did my first spinned turns on a relative slippery ground (not on a road or on concrete)
I am constantly fighting with the tire to keep on spinning but with practice i am sure i will win. I even accidentaly did an half rotation of pirouette but once more, my tire stopped me early.

Manu

Excuse my lack of vocabulary to describe that, i hope i will be understood by those interested.

You can also pump up your tire to high pressure to cut down the friction.

To reduce hitting pedals to the ground, try to lean your upper body in toward the turn as well, to cut down on the tilt angle of the unicycle. It doesn’t look (or feel) as nice, but it lets you keep pedaling. I used to hit my pedal easily enough when I had 125s and a narrow setup…

i have the same problem i have a qu’ax trials 2005 and my pedals hit the ground all the time can you record that so i can see how you do that and then i’ll be able to do that too :slight_smile:

I can spin/pirouette my 20" trials uni with no problem, although I have to pump up the tyre rather considerably before I do, otherwise I can’t keep a pirouette going.

I also ride with my seat low, so maybe it’s a matter of technique?

I am glad you are having good luck using a trials unicycle. I found it very difficult to keep a spin going for more than a couple of revolutions, until I got a freestyle unicycle. The I was able to spin 5 or more times maybe around 30% of the time, but now the wheel keeps locking up and I go into a mini piroette, rather than spinning. :roll_eyes: This is the last major thing I need up to level 7, so it is very frustrating not to be able to do it :frowning: so if anyone has any suggestions…

I borrowed a camera, and went to a place with enough light at midnight. The underground appeared to be very interesting. I had my tire pumped up to 2.4 bar and the ground was the most slippery i had ever tried. So it was quite different of my first attempts and not actually better.

http://manu2015.free.fr/spin_attempts.avi
1min 15Mo, directly out from the camera.

I think i am not so far from doing it regular. I have just to practice. Am i right ?

Manuel

Yes, if you can do it on a Trials uni, you’ll find it way easier on a Freestyle.

For the problem above, all you need to do it slow down. Speed is one of the factors in the equation of a spin. If you keep everything else the same but slow down when you feel yourself hitting the center, you should be able to keep your circle consistent.

Then tackle the pirouette, which is harder. Not only harder to hold, but harder on your tire. Find a smooth surface to practice or be prepared to buy more rubber!

I watched the video (nice subway station!). Let me start by pointing out to all readers of this thread how manu2015 has done several things right. When asking for help on skills, most people start by not describing the problem. They usually just ask “How do I do so-and-so?” This doesn’t help us coach them. Instead it usually generates (well-deserved) advice to search and read, rather than expecting us to write the same story again.

1. manu2015 started by describing the exact problem he’s having. This gives us a frame of reference for giving him useful things to try.

2. He described his unicycle, such as wheel size, tire pressure, crank length; important bits of information to give useful answers.

3. Then he provided a video. Huge file, but good quality picture so we could see what he was doing!

So, your grippy Trials tire is definitely a takeaway, when riding on normal pavement. Your shiny floor fixed that though, and was more slippery than what you’re used to! That’s what it’s like in a gym or on a (good) stage. To compensate for slippery floors, you can let air out of the tire.

As for seat height, you can do it with the seat lower, but I’m sure a higher seat will make it easier, as it puts you further from the axle, which means you can lean over more easily.

In your video it shows you are at the point where mostly you need more practice, as you expected. Most of your attempts seemed to end when a pedal hit the ground, so try to avoid that. Learn how much you can lean without touching down the pedals. Then just control the speed, as I wrote above, to keep you from riding into the center of your circle.

Remember to have fun, and stop every once in a while so you don’t throw up. Good advice from the Uni-Cyclone (who still gets dizzy).

I have just recently become fairly consistent at being able to do spins on my Coker. My circles get smaller and smaller until they just disappear and then I’m spinning on a single point. It feels pretty weird to be pedaling and not moving anywhere, but rather spinning. I was never able to do spins back when I rode a smaller wheel uni. My best Coker spins are probably limited to about 1 1/2 revs (once my circles end and my spin begins) at the moment.

Being I usually have relatively low pressure and reading the previous posts, I know increasing my tire pressure will probably help me. I think the pavement at Grant’s Tomb where I practice my spins is relatively slick (compared to regular pavement, anyway) so I believe it is probably ok. Riding a Coker, I don’t have any problems with my pedals hitting the ground, but the problem I do have - which will only get worse as my spins improve - is that when I do a (good 1 or 1 1/2 rev) spin I get dizzy! Any suggestions?