First ride with V brakes

My V brake adaptors came in the post today from Unicycle.com, so I looked out my old V brakes, some new pads, and fitted them to my Kris Holm XC 24.

I was out for about half an hour on my lunch break, and managed to fit in a couple of steep short hills to test the brake on. There is a short steep hill in some woods near home, and I just manage to unicycle down it, maybe about one out of six attempts, but today, once I got used to it, I was able to unicycle down with a bit of control, and cleared it every second time.

I am looking forward to trying it out on some local hill tracks where there are some very long, very steep hills, the last time I was there, my legs were really tired after a while, I had to have a break, so I am keen to see how I get on again.

I ordered a new seat post for my 20" uni as well, it has been cut down to size, and the uni cleaned up ready for my ten year old daughter to start learning.

Could be a good summer.

Innes

It’s good to hear that you’re having fun and i think it’s sweet that you’re letting your 10 year old daughter experience the world of unicycling.

BTW it was a nice read also. :smiley: :smiley:

you couldn’t post a picture by chance?

How do the V brake adaptors work? i am looking to fight my 24" with brakes but have no brake mounts? i have never seen these adaptors on UDC…

Nice write up though. i wonder how long it takes your daughter to get the hang of it. you better watch yourself, she will overtake you in time :slight_smile:

The adaptors fit on the bottom brake mount on the unicycle frame. The frame is fitted with mounts for hydraulic brakes.

My daughter had the first shot on the unicycle tonight, she seems very keen. It will be good if she gets on well, I like the idea of two unicyclists in the family.

Innes

The adaptors fit on the bottom brake mount on the unicycle frame. The frame is fitted with mounts for hydraulic brakes.

My daughter had the first shot on the unicycle tonight, she seems very keen. It will be good if she gets on well, I like the idea of two unicyclists in the family.

Innes

Nice to get a report on the V brake set up. I’ve been considering this for my 24" Muni.

And, a very hearty congratulations on writing possibly the first post that I’ve read where ‘brake’ and ‘break’ were both used correctly in the same post.:wink:

1 Like

I’d actually come to the conclusion that ‘break’ was an Americanism for ‘brake’ as it’s used so often on here.

Innes, thanks for the review, what made you go fo the V-brake setup?

for some of us trigger happy american coker riders, they mean the same thing :wink: when we do one, the other happens :stuck_out_tongue:

I went for the V brake set up for a few reasons. Mainly price, I had old V brakes left over from upgrading my Mountain Bike to disks, so it was just the adaptors to buy.

I also thought that I really didn’t need Hydraulic brakes for the type of riding I do, I can see the need for some people where they need to really lock the wheel to jump from one obstacle to the next, but all I need to do is keep control going down some steep hills.

The V brake option is also very easy to set up, and change if you feel the need.

Innes