First 5 mile ride

Well
I’ve been riding for about 6 weeks now and just completed my first ride over 5 miles. I’ve learned a few things.

1. My seat sucks (stock Torker). I’ll be ordering a new seat tonight. Maybe a Miyata?
  2. I still need to work on my endurance. It’s actually improving almost daily. Two week ago I barely made a mile and a half. Unicycling is a great workout (for us older guys (42)).
  3. People respond to Unicycles. I’ve yet to hear a negative comment from anybody. I get a lot of smiles and nods and “I haven’t seen one of those in years” comments. I did get a “where’s your handlebars” today but that was the worst. Mostly I get adults saying “look at the unicycle” to their kids. And I hear kids saying “cool”. I’d be willing to bet a couple of people will buy unicycles this year who didn’t even consider it before they saw me.

Steve Anderson

I haven’t even seen you and I’m considering buying a unicycle. Good work on your 8k! Sounds farther, doesn’t it? The seat upgrade is an excellent idea. Consider an airseat conversion if you plan on some really long hauls.

Steve,

Same experience here, I just completed my first 10+ mile ride on the Coker. Nothing but thumbs up and compliments from the kids to the hard core roadies. Even the old guy with the “second wheel” comment clearly made it in fun.

Steve DeKoekkoek

(Another 42 YO, 1960 must be a good year for unicyclists)

I can’t decide whether or not to save up for a Coker next or a MUni. They both look like so much fun. The Torker that I have now is fine for learning on and basic freestyle (I think) but I want more options.
As far as my seat upgrade. Will the Miyata seat fit on my current seatpost or do I need an adapter of some kind? Or will a post with the Miyata fit in my Torker? I have looked in past posts and I didn’t see this answered so my apologies if it’s an old and re-occuring question.

Steve Anderson
s-anderson@cox.net

Which one next.

Sorry I can’t help you on which one to get next, I’ve been riding since '76 but I’m a newbie on both the Coker and Muni. The Coker is pretty cool for cruising, my Muni is a 24" blue Schwinn that I threw a MTB tire on, I guess it’s a starter Muni. Having fun on both, especially considering all my mid-week riding is done after dark!

Regarding the seat post, the Miyata seat post is pretty standard and does fit the chrome Torker (and Coker). The Black Stealth Torker has a different diameter seatpost though.

Steve-

You will soon get a response from Scott Kurland which will say, “Coker, Coker, Coker” for good reasons. He learned on one, they’re extremely cool looking, they’re fast, and a gas to ride.

The seatplate on a Miyata is different than for the Viscount, United, and Torker seats so you will need a Miyata seatpost. The seatplate is welded to the seatpost. The unicycle “standard” for cheap imports has been 22.0mm for some time. Miyata is, of course, NOT standard. It’s 22.2mm or about 0.008" larger in diameter but it should fit your standard Torker frame without too much trouble if any at all. Miyata seatposts (I have several and extensions) fit both my Torkers, my Zephyr when it was still alive, my blue Jugglebug, and my Coker with no modifications.

The Unistar, or “Stealth Torker,” is using an “outdated” bicycle seatpost diameter of 25.2mm (25.4mm is an inch so it’s really just a one inch post) so it has been made cleverly incompatible. I don’t know what to say about extensions for these guys. I made one for myself.

Another problem with Miyata is that they only make stuff for little Japanese people so their only seatpost length is 300mm which is too short for tall and long-legged fellows. You may need to buy an extension depending on your inseam.

…and boy are my legs tired! :slight_smile:

(sorry, I couldn’t resist the pun)

I’ve been riding for six weeks also. Yesterday, I just completed my first 225 foot ride (and boy were my legs tired).

In addition to being overweight and out of shape, I still do not put my full weight on the seat. I think this means that one foot struggles against the other. As my forward foot pedals down, my back foot applies pressure to resist the upward motion of the back pedal. This is wrong, I know, and it tires out my leg muscles quickly.

I am completely unqualified to give advice, because I am struggling to follow my own advice. But could this be part of your endurance problem? Is your endurance improving, or are you simply learning to sit on the seat?

Just a thought (from a slow learner). In any event, congratulations on your uni success!

uni57 (Dave)

I still do not put my full weight on the seat. I think this means that one foot struggles against the other. As my forward foot pedals down, my back foot applies pressure to resist the upward motion of the back pedal. This is wrong, I know, and it tires out my leg muscles quickly.

Hi Dave
My endurance is improving dramatically, the more I ride the easier it gets. I find though, that as my legs get tired my ratio’s of UDP’s per distance traveled increases proportionately.
I do also have problems with keeping all of my weight on the seat. I know I’m too tense and just need to relax more but to tell the truth, until I can find a seat that is more comfortable, I won’t be too relaxed.

Thanks
Steve Anderson

Mike Fule recently wrote an excellent review comparing a Coker to another uni with a ten speed bicycle wheel, about 27 inches. I would read this review before spending money, if you buy a coker go ahead and get the upgrades. Try searching this site for Mike Fule and Coker. carjug