Finally Learnt Crankflips!!

Hey eveyone,

I finally learnt to crankflip!!!

About a week ago for some reason i found i could half flip ater about half an hour practice, I thought crankflips would be pretty easy to learn from that. But after 4 days i still couldent do them at all. On monday i praciced for like 4 hours non stop on them and only landed 2 kinda very bad 3 quarter crankflips and ended up very tired and frustrated, so then i gave up and didn’t even try yeaterday.

Today I gave it another shot and about half an hour later i landed one, and half an hour after that i could do them about %90 of the time and off a small ledge pretty easily.

It’s kind of wierd how you can get heaps better at something wothout even practiceing it. I making a small video tommorow so it will be in there for sure.

OOH! I’ve been meaning to nail crankflips for a while now!

I think I’ll go out when the weathers nicer and get them.

And advice on learning?

AndyC

i know what u mean, i had a reluctant break from unicycling, came back, and found i could jump heaps higher than before

Ride on!

i’ll be waiting for tips on that one too…

How difficult are crank flips? In comparison, let’s say, to uni-spins.

I’ve been considering trying them but can’t get up the nerve, it just seems so awkward.

I can jump and back spin the cranks 180 and front spin 360, (sort of like pedaling normally mid air) but… How does it work with your feet off the pedals?

Do you just jump, kick down on the pedal, and then hope for the best?

P.S. Do you normally work at a skill for 4 hours straight? I don’t ride much more then 20 minutes working on a skill before taking a break.

I would also be interested in a break down of the crank flip if anyone feels qualified to do so,

Jas’o

Yeah congrats, 4 hours is a great effort!!

There seems to be 2 or more groups of people who have different ways of learning to crankflip, some people learn to land half flips first and then they work on kicking it harder… and then there’s another group who get the hang of the spin quite fast but spend a long time learning to keep the uni under them so it doesn’t come flying out the front.

Then there’s the group who don’t have any problems learning crankflips and so for them it’s just a matter of trying a few times.

Good job!

Me, I can’t even spin the cranks. I just jump, my feet come off, and that’s it.

'Course I…haven’t put ANY time into learning them. I will one of these days…

Good job on the flips man. That’s rad good to see people getting into them.

Forward crankflip:

1. Ride at a slower pace forwards.
  2. Concentrate, keep your head clear.
  3. Know your footy and where you plan to kick.
  4. Approach the point and lean over your uni right before you jump off.
  5. Kick the front foot down towards the ground and pop up in the air as much as possible. Try harder for the kick down than the jump up, the kick is more important.
  6. Pull the uni out infront of you slightly while in the air (this is hard cause it’s hard to think about while doing all of that, but if you’re about to miss it saves a lot of pain, easier to bail from.)
  7. Spot the cranks, YOUR FEET WILL LAND IN THE SAME SPOT AS THE LEFT IF YOU DO IT RIGHT, don’t worry about landing with them anywhere else but normal footing. Just like a unispin, the pedals will be there since you kicked more than jumped, just gotta get back on.
  8. Land on the pedals (easy enough?). If you’re worried about your kick, remember step 6. Just pull it completely out from you and watch the cranks, do they come around enough? If they do, try sticking it.
  9. Practice practice practice. after you hit it.
  10. FIND A STAIR SET!!!
    Good luck.

Hey you dont mind us using that for unicycle.2ya.com do you Shaun?

Thanks everyone for there comments! And i don’t have any advice better than shaun! And I found 360 unipins much easier than crankflips. I think a 180 unispin and a 360 unispin are alot more similar than half flips and full flips.

Thanks for sharing your skill.

I’m glad the top riders still are here on the forum to help.

I have typed this before so I just copied and pasted.

The way i do it is I ride slow then quickly speed up and put all my weight on the foot that is going to do the flipping. Then when you hop up suck your non flipping foot up high to get it out of the way to make sure none of the pressure is lost when you hop. I put my toe of my flipping foot on the pedal with the rest of my foot hanging off. That way it is so much easier to flip it. So hop and suck up your foot and push down really hard with the flipping foot. With the flipping foot you should push down fast then really quickly pull that one back up so both of your feet are in the air. If you don’t suck back up your flipping foot you will end up with a one footed rev. It is a good idea to slightly lean on your flipping foot right before you take off to put more pressure on it so it can flip faster.The rest is just learning how hard to kick it and getting your timing down.

congratz man! and it is weird how if you take a little break from something you improve at it, well in most cases, lol cause like ill be playing guitar, learning a new sweep pick, and at first i cant get it to good, the next day ill play bass or drums, on the 2nd day pick up my guitar and i can do the sweep pattern, =p

I need to try that with school now, if i leave for a week, i should be tons smarter when i come back right?!?

Well another way which isnt as good for full revs, but works just fine for halfs, is just do a rolling no footer, sont stop when you do oyur no footer and let the cranks keep spinning, thats how I do it, but I cant do a full rev…

yeah that makes sence… good idea

lol, ill just save it for my sats, then ill get a perfect score! lol

can i just point out that president_luke has only been riding for like 9 months. this is an amazing effort. good job man! u coming riding with tom and i on saturday?

every time we go riding luke makes me jealous of his amazing progress. i have been riding for more than 3 years and i am nowhere near as good at flips and spins as he is. :angry: i guess i dont practise 4 hours straight without landing anything though!

See ya,

Max

ahaha max !!

yeah but the thing with luke is, is that u and me dont practice one trick ova and ova for hours on end, and think about the trick wen we sleep like Luke does!!

he is a very skilled rider, and very determined wen he sets his mind to it!!

i need to practice more on my street, but i keep gettin side-tracked into trials lines all the time…

eg: riding up onto the oval to have some street flip trick practice and on the way to the oval " oohhh that looks like a fun and challenging line to ride" ahaha :stuck_out_tongue:

ahaha max !!

yeah but the thing with luke is, is that u and me dont practice one trick ova and ova for hours on end, and think about the trick wen we sleep like Luke does!!

he is a very skilled rider, and very determined wen he sets his mind to it!!

i need to practice more on my street, but i keep gettin side-tracked into trials lines all the time…

eg: riding up onto the oval to have some street flip trick practice and on the way to the oval " oohhh that looks like a fun and challenging line to ride" ahaha :stuck_out_tongue:

oh well, sick work Luke