Finally got my movie up!

YES, I finally got my movie uploaded! The bad part is, it’s 77 MB. I’m in the process of uploading a 36 MB version, then I’ll make a 15 or so version.
It’s the second album in the gallery, called U of I: Unicyclists of Idaho.

A link is usually nice: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/U-of-I

Oh, yeah. Except now I changed the URL, so it’s http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/U-of-I

I’ve got the 36 MB version up, now for the 15… I bet that one will be such bad quality, that no one will want to download it. Oh well.

damn, i downloaded it but i can’t watch it. all i get is audio.

That’s weird. It’s happened to me before, on some other videos. Try downloading the newest version of Windows Media Player. Or ask someone who has more experience with these matters, that would be a better idea.

As for the 15 MB version, I won’t get it up today because my computer is going sooooo slowly so I can’t make it smaller right now. (especially since I’m doing homework at the same time…)

Yeah, that happens to me sometimes (as with this time) when I use Winamp. When that happens I open it with Divx and that usually does it.

Nice video/uni skills.

It requires Windows Media Player 9. Or at least the WM9 codecs.
You can download the WM9 from here:
Microsoft Windows Media Home

For making the file size of the video smaller it is often better to drop the resolution of the video. The big version you have is at 640x480. That’s a lot of pixels for the codec to deal with. Dropping the resolution down to 320x240 (or even smaller) will reduce the number of pixels that have to be encoded to 1/4 which will make for a smaller file without loosing a lot of quality. This trick is especially useful at very low bitrates.

The video players are able to scale up the video from 320x240 up to 640x480 as the video plays. The routines to do this are very efficient and do a good job.

A 320x240 video encoded at 500 Kbps can end up looking better than a 640x480 video encoded at 500 Kbps. With fewer pixels to encode the codec can focus its algorithms on improving the quality and the motion rather than just trying to feed more pixels to the screen. Try encoding the 15 MB version of the video at 320x240 or even smaller and see if you like the results better.

Oh, okay, I’ll try that.
Thanks!