file location in linux

I have a file that I want to read that was from kmail in the mandrake
partition of my harddrive. Is there a way for me to read the email on the
windows side?

Where would I find the files that kmail makes?


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/
http://DomainJunkies.com/ http://5R5.NET
http://GotPaintball.com/ http://CircleRPrinting.com

Re: file location in linux

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 06:09 pm, Rodney Blackwell wrote:

> I have a file that I want to read that was from kmail in the mandrake
> partition of my harddrive. Is there a way for me to read the email on the
> windows side?

Well you can read it with any text editor.

>
> Where would I find the files that kmail makes?

/home/yourusername/Mail


John R. Marshall - Web Developer

JRM Studios - http://www.jrmstudios.com
The Hotrodding Network - http://www.hotrodding.net

Re: file location in linux

You also have to get a tool to read the Linux partition in Windows. If
you are using ext2, I know there are tools that can read an ext2
partition in Windows but writing is still experimental. I don’t have a
URL but a Google search should find it. If you are using something like
Reiser or XFS then you may be out of luck.


Josh

John R. Marshall wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 July 2002 06:09 pm, Rodney Blackwell wrote:
>
>
>>I have a file that I want to read that was from kmail in the mandrake
>>partition of my harddrive. Is there a way for me to read the email on the
>>windows side?
>
>
> Well you can read it with any text editor.
>
>
>>Where would I find the files that kmail makes?
>
>
> /home/yourusername/Mail
>
>

Re: file location in linux

“John R. Marshall” <john@jrmstudios.com> wrote in message
news:ai7728$50e$1@www.darklock.com

> > Where would I find the files that kmail makes?
>
> /home/yourusername/Mail

Thanks, but I don’t see this directory on the Windows partition? I guess
I’ll need the special tool Josh was talking about?


Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator

http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/
http://DomainJunkies.com/ http://5R5.NET
http://GotPaintball.com/ http://CircleRPrinting.com

Re: file location in linux

Yes, windows will not read a linux (ext2) partition, it will simply
ignore it. You’ll need a special program to access the linux partition
from within windows.

-Mike K.

Rodney Blackwell wrote:
>
> “John R. Marshall” <john@jrmstudios.com> wrote in message
> news:ai7728$50e$1@www.darklock.com
>[color=darkred]
> > > Where would I find the files that kmail makes?
> >
> > /home/yourusername/Mail
>
> Thanks, but I don’t see this directory on the Windows partition? I guess
> I’ll need the special tool Josh was talking about?
>
> –
> Rodney Blackwell - site owner/administrator
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> http://T-ShirtCountdown.com http://TalkT-Shirts.com/
> http://ihateclowns.com/ http://Globie.com/
> http://DomainJunkies.com/ http://5R5.NET
> http://GotPaintball.com/ http://CircleRPrinting.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------[/color]

Re: file location in linux

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 06:39 pm, Rodney Blackwell wrote:

> Thanks, but I don’t see this directory on the Windows partition? I guess
> I’ll need the special tool Josh was talking about?

Boot into Linux, copy to a floppy, boot back to windows :slight_smile:

or boot to linux, forward the email to yourself, boot back to windows, and
check your email.

or format windows and dont worry about it :stuck_out_tongue:


John R. Marshall - Web Developer

JRM Studios - http://www.jrmstudios.com
The Hotrodding Network - http://www.hotrodding.net

Re: file location in linux

Or in linux, you can mount the windows partition, copy the file there,
and when you boot back into windows, the file will be accessible to you.

-Mike K.

“John R. Marshall” wrote:
>
> On Tuesday 30 July 2002 06:39 pm, Rodney Blackwell wrote:
>
> > Thanks, but I don’t see this directory on the Windows partition? I guess
> > I’ll need the special tool Josh was talking about?
>
> Boot into Linux, copy to a floppy, boot back to windows :slight_smile:
>
> or boot to linux, forward the email to yourself, boot back to windows, and
> check your email.
>
> or format windows and dont worry about it :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> –
> John R. Marshall - Web Developer
>
> JRM Studios - http://www.jrmstudios.com
> The Hotrodding Network - http://www.hotrodding.net