Fast unicycles in benefit rides

Is anyone planning to ride a unicycle in the June 2003 SF to LA AIDS/Lifecycle benefit ride?

I’m waiting by the mailbox for a Coker, and thinking (dreaming) of doing that ride. I’d imagine that the fundraising potential of a unicycle that can participate in these benefit rides on par with bicycles would be fairly great. What have others’ experiences been?

Joel

Hi Joel,
I have done a few fundraising rides on my coker in the past few years and I must say that getting pledges is a lot easier and people are much more eager to lend there support and their money to someone that is doing the ride in an unconventional way, whether it be unicycle, rollerblades or whatever. I took a look at that ride in California and I would definately be interested in riding with you. It looks like a pretty intense ride especially 118 miles on the first day. Sounds like a blast though, especially if we get a handful of cokers to do the ride. Keep me posted.

Aj

Have you checked with the organizers to see if they will even allow the cokers. Scot Cooper, just finished the Arthritis Ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles on his “UNibago”. They allowed him to ride.

However, he had some problems getting accepted to ride on what I think was one of the AIDs rides. They turned him down. It was something with insurance, I think.

Hadn’t gotten that far. Thanks for the tip!

On the tour for the cure ride a few of us rode in this past summer, there were 3 of us on cokers. Jeff Lutkus finished with the lead group of bikers i think. I was amazed.

Re: Fast unicycles in benefit rides

“teachndad” <teachndad.bwvcz@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:teachndad.bwvcz@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Have you checked with the organizers to see if they will even allow the
> cokers. Scot Cooper, just finished the Arthritis Ride from San
> Francisco to Los Angeles on his “UNibago”. They allowed him to ride.
>
> However, he had some problems getting accepted to ride on what I think
> was one of the AIDs rides. They turned him down. It was something with
> insurance, I think.
>

On very popular (usually shorter) rides, like the London to Brighton in the
UK, it’d be silly doing them on a coker, because there are so many people
that if you’re not careful you’re always riding in the middle of a huge
crowd going very slowly. If you’re doing one that is likely to be crowded
try and get an early start so you’re not stuck with the really slow people.
Personally I wouldn’t do one of the bigger rides on my coker unless I was
very certain I could stillstand / idle well. Actually thinking about it
I’d ride a 29" cos I can get off that with almost no space. On the really
long multi day rides it wouldn’t be a problem I guess because the riders
will be so spread out.

As far as checking with organisers, I work on the theory that most of this
things are billed as cycle rides and have people with silly tricycles and
stuff riding, so I don’t see why I should have to ask about my silly
unicycle. Also, if you don’t ask until the day, I reckon you’re much more
likely to get someone who just says yeah, fine, go for it, whereas if you
ask earlier it’ll go to the lawyers or the insurance or something.

Joe

it’s easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

:wink:

As Rod Wylie stated, the Aids Ride organization did not let me ride in 2001 after 3 attempts to assure them that I could do it. Their loss as I joined 9 other unicyclists and rode in the European Unicycle Tour instead. Think of the media attention they could have had. Three networks showed me with unibago 5 times on T.V. and cable last week. Six times if you count the interview at the S.F. Grand Prix fun ride.

I recommend the Arthritis Foundation’s California Coast Classic. I just did it last week, Sept. 21-28, riding 520 miles in 8 days and I had a blast. You gotta have a brake on your Coker to do it. The ride was well organized by Tim Kneeland and Assoc. Everyone had a great time and the food alone is worth going back for not to mention the world’s most beautiful coastline. Check it out at:
http://www.californiacoastclassic.org/

If y’all want to do it, I’ll do it again, but this time I want some one-wheeled company.

The longest day is day 1 at 85 miles and the hardest day is day 4 from Big Sur to San Simeon (66 mi.) mostly hills!

Let me know.

Scot Cooper

Congratulations! I wonder if the AIDS ride organizers will see their folly. I’m up for training for next year’s Arthritis ride – that sounds realistic.

Spent 20 minutes on the CD so far – what a cruiser!

Joel

If you are serious, you can contact them at the link already provided. If they get registrations from other unicyclists this early for the 2003 ride not only will the organizers be very stoked, but I will sign up again, as I’m still recovering this week.

You won’t regret it. It is the most beautiful coast ride I’ve done. Let us not forget that it is also for a very worthy cause, arthritis. On my most difficult day, Day 4, from Big Sur to San Simeon, the hills were starting to wear on me. One after another like a sewing machine, the hills climbed, decended and weaved in-and-out like a snake. The thought that kept me riding was of a little boy named Michael. Michael lost his sight in his right eye and some of his left eye. At the age of 8-9 he has had six surgeries on his left eye to improve his sight. Kids like Michael suffer everyday and I was whining about my ankle hurting cause I didn’t use my brake enough on the first day (85 miles).

Just remember, everyone will earn it one way or another.

No better way to travel than by unibago. -SC

Hi Scot,
Count me in. The texas contingency has spoken. How much does it cost to register? Besides the pledges required the website doesn’t say how much it costs. Can you tell all of us how your experiences were? K, bye.

Aj

Ok, that finally modivated me to find the news coverage, and digitize it:
http://lutkus.com/video/promo/MS_ride2002.mpg

As for my speed, well, it was a 10 mile ride, and I trained by riding at least 10 miles each day the week before… so, I finished faster than the weekend type bikers, but there’s no way I could approach the speed of bikers who put a little more energy into things than just a casual ride.

That was the second such ride I’ve been in, and it is a lot of fun. (Unfortunately, the organizers of this one heard about the unicycles, and limited us to 10 miles… not that I expect anyone would have cared if we rode farther) It’s especially great because there are a lot of families and causal riders in this sort of event that someone who’s used to a Coker can often keep up with. I actually had a chance to chat every now and again with this father and his two young sons – they’d pass me on ever down hill, and I’d pass them on every up hill.

Cool video! I especially like the comment about unicycling being the
antithesis of MS. Well done Jeff (and others).

Did you happen to measure you average speed?

Why did the organizers limit you to 10 miles?

-mg

“lutkus” <lutkus.c0ytc@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:lutkus.c0ytc@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Ok, that finally modivated me to find the news coverage, and digitize
> it:
> http://lutkus.com/video/promo/MS_ride2002.mpg
>
> As for my speed, well, it was a 10 mile ride, and I trained by riding at
> least 10 miles each day the week before… so, I finished faster than
> the weekend type bikers, but there’s no way I could approach the speed
> of bikers who put a little more energy into things than just a casual
> ride.
>
> That was the second such ride I’ve been in, and it is a lot of fun.
> (Unfortunately, the organizers of this one heard about the unicycles,
> and limited us to 10 miles… not that I expect anyone would have cared
> if we rode farther) It’s especially great because there are a lot of
> families and causal riders in this sort of event that someone who’s used
> to a Coker can often keep up with. I actually had a chance to chat
> every now and again with this father and his two young sons – they’d
> pass me on ever down hill, and I’d pass them on every up hill.
>
> nick wrote:
> > *On the tour for the cure ride a few of us rode in this past summer,
> > there were 3 of us on cokers. Jeff Lutkus finished with the lead group
> > of bikers i think. I was amazed. *
>
>
>
> –
> lutkus - some guy
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> lutkus’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/20770
>

lutkus.c0ytc@timelimit.unicyclist.com writes:
>Ok, that finally modivated me to find the news coverage, and digitize
>it:

>
>http://lutkus.com/video/promo/MS_ride2002.mpg

Jeff, that was so cool how you digitized the news footage, and it was a
pretty good segment! It was nice how you and the newscaster compared
unicycling and MS. Bravo (bravi?) all around to all the riders, and good
luck next year getting a few more miles permitted.

David

Co-founder, Unatics of NY
1st Sunday / 3rd Saturday
@ Central Park Bandshell
1:30 start time after 11/1/01

Re: Re: Fast unicycles in benefit rides

I didn’t talk to the organizers myself, but I think it was really just a case of irnogrance – they really didn’t know what to expect, so they chose to limit things to minimize anything that can go wrong. I’m sure if we were to do the same thing next year, they’d be ok with us going farther because now they know it’s not a problem.

The news coverage was pretty funny, though. For literally 3 or 4 miles, a news van rode 20 feet in front of me, with 2 camera guys sitting in the back with the doors open, filming. I guess that’s just evidence that no real news was going on that day.

As for my speed, it was probably just shy of 12mph (I ride with 5" cranks)

Sorry that it has taken me a few days to respond. I was out of town for the weekend. Attended a wedding on Saturday and the Mt. Diablo Challenge on Sunday.

BigWheelTex asked how much registration was for the Arthritis Foundation’s CaliforniaCoastClassic. It is $65 the first time and $35 if you sign up as a veteran the next year. The registration applies to the $2,800 in pledges you have to raise.

As for the details of the ride, it will be hard for me to put into words, but I plan to do just that for my webpage at unitours.org and maybe the On One Wheel folks. For now, just know that it was an incredible trip and one that I’ll remember the rest of my life.

Anyone who signs up for the CCC, please contact me. -Scot