Extremely advanced Coker

http://www.creativegeckos.com/pages/coker-suspension-frames.html

Ed Mosimann has created a unicycle for me with the following features:

1. Adjustable cranks (140mm to 180mm and a separate 120mm drilling)
  2. Suspension
  3. Dual brake setup (a drag brake and an on/off brake)
  4. Adjustable handle system
  5. rear rack system

Check out the link above and let me know what you think.

-Bronson

That’s a wierd looking machine.

Should be an excellent tourer

At what point does a coker stop being a coker? (Or rather, when is a coker not a coker?)

When does it become just another 36" unicycle? (Albeit a weird looking one…)

Phil, just me

He’s got some great designs… but, well, estheticly this one doesn’t work for me. The base frame is cool, as are some of the other details, but the combo?

Bronson, have you UPD to the front yet on this pimp new ride?

-Christopher

time for some sarcasim.

ah,a $2500 dollar uni with plastic pedals?i would’nt be calling it a Coker anymore,your only using their tire.

UPD’s on this unicycle

I have had a few UPD’s on this unicycle testing out the brakes and riding off road too fast. When I first started riding it on some fire road I got excited and went way too fast attacking bumps because the suspension works so well. The crashes were no big deal. I would say about the same danger as riding a Coker with a handle.

This unicycle is all about comfort and performance. I imagine the first shocked and suspended bicycles looked “weird” when they came out. To me it is all about the ride, not that the ride looks like everyone else’s ride or that the ride looks like a traditional unicycle.

Let’s face it, the traditional unicycle design is not comfortable for long distance. Ask anyone who has rode longer than 50 miles in a day on any unicycle. I have yet to meet anyone who has not experienced discomfort.

-Bronson

Plastic Pedals

I have plastic pedals on this unicycle because I wanted to travel as light as possible when traveling to New Mexcio. I will probably put on some metal pedals soon.

-Bronson

For me, the simplicity of the unicycle is part of its charm, so I wouldn’t choose the very clever and fancy looking one pictured. that said, it appears to be a masterpiece, and I wouldn’t refuse a ride on it.:smiley:

Each to his own - some go for speed, some for distance, some for technical difficulty - some folks like radishes, some kurly kale…

Amazing looking machine, and you should be pleased with it. Those raked forks and the long neck make it look like a velociraptor.

Have fun.

What an elegant form. It looks as if it is alive even without a rider. It has heretofore unmatched esthetic appeal. How many iterations do you think will be required to fine tune the suspension? How quickly can you change the crank length?

The horizontal extensions are a base for EVEN MORE accessories: cupholders, CD player, AC, DVD w/LCD, 5.0 V8 GT, SPEBSQSA, etc.

Please keep us updated, B.

-Joel

cranks switch?

Sweet looking uni!
Unfortunately a little out of my price range :roll_eyes:
I have a couple questions though.
How do the cranks change from 140-180?
What is that thing after the handle?
How long is the thing with all that, and what is the weight?

drool… drip… drip…

Answers

Suspension: The suspension feels great as is. Unless the titanium bars flex differently over time, I would say they are good now. It would be possible to swap out the two titanium bars with either straight tubes or other types of materials, although I don’t think it will be neccessary. Also, the seat can be mounted directly to the base of the frame, bypassing the suspension if wanted.

Cranks: To adjust the cranks you loosen one bolt, rotate the disk to the appropriate length, then tighten the bolt. Once you get used to the actions, it takes seconds per crank arm.

Thing after the handle: The wire looking piece is a titanium rod used as a crash bar. It is nice the way that the material flexes as it hits the ground, absorbing some of the shock.

Weight: I will be weighing it in a few days. I am guessing around 20-25 lbs. This is about the same weight as my no suspension Coker deluxe with handle (24 lbs). See the pictures of it here: http://community.webshots.com/album/48071201MogRdZ

Esthetics: Purely a personal thing. I like the unique character and mechanical/organic nature of this unicycle. Seeing this cycle up close is different than seeing a picture of it. I know the hours of design and construction that have gone into this creation. It is truely a work of art as much as a functional touring machine. This unicycle sets a new bar on performance.

Re: Extremely advanced Coker

Wow.

That is the coolest thing.

I want one. Dunno if I can afford one this year…

If I get one I’ll probably trade up to the Kovachi wheel instead of the
stock one.

The question of when it stops being a Coker is an interesting one. Somebody mentioned that the only thing left of the original cycle is the tire.

Coker is a tire company. From one standpoint, you could call it a Coker as long as it uses the Coker 36" tire. The Coker Monster Bike is also a Coker.

But it could get confusing. Now we have the regular Coker and the Deluxe Coker. I would guess Bronson’s to be somewhere in the realm of extreme-custom Coker.

The cycle looks very cool. Definitely non-traditional, but after seeing some of Ed’s cycles at MUni Weekend I was ready for the appearance of this one. Sure it could use some kind of paint or anodizing, but I think it’s still an experiment at this point.

Can’t wait to try it out someday!

That is cool! I have to second the comment that it looks like a robotic velociraptor.

The suspension style is similar to, but still very different from, the design concept used for the Softride bikes. <http://www.softride.com/bike_index.html>

How is the Hurricane seatpost attached to the seat base? It looks very strange from the pictures at
<http://www.creativegeckos.com/pages/accessories.htm>
He has avoided the use of rails. Is the seatpost still using the stock mount (that’s designed for bike rails) on the seatpost?

How is it for adjusting the seat height when you change crank length. When going from 120 to 180 you need to make a big change in seat height. Can it handle that without needing to change to a shorter or longer seatpost? On my mostly stock Coker whenever I change crank lengths I need to swap seatposts because I can’t get enough adjustability on the stock Coker frame with the short seat tube neck.

Answers

Seatpost attachment: There are two bolts that go from the bottom of the seat post bracket to the aluminum seat base. The top of the seatpost bracket (the one that grabs the top of the rails is not needed). This eliminates the use of rails and gives more space to work with. The pictures show how this is setup.

Seatpost height: I have the seatpost cut to allow a change of 140mm to 180mm. I think I will need another seatpost to run at 120mm, but might be able to get away with my current one. I would think that rider height plays a factor in this adjustment. I am 5’8’’.

Look ahead - pedal - feel the ride - and smile!
Ed:)

Re: Extremely advanced Coker

bronson writes:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/26ny

>
>
>Ed Mosimann has created a unicycle for me with the following features:
>
>1) Adjustable cranks (140mm to 180mm and a separate 120mm drilling)
>2) Suspension
>3) Dual brake setup (a drag brake and an on/off brake)
>4) Adjustable handle system
>5) rear rack system
>
>Check out the link above and let me know what you think.
Bronson, that it one cool machine. I love the aesthetics of it, but then,
I drive (and love) an Aztek, the car voted one of the ugliest of all time.
I think that’s just part of why I love it. You deluxxxe model is odd to
most eyes but as you said, ppl’s tastes adjust over time.

And the idea of riding comfortably for more than 50 miles at a time –
hard to fathom!

Perhaps you can harper it around the country for a few months? I’ll send
you my address as soon as you need it!

David Stone

Man, that looks heavy, but with all the stuff on it i bet it’d be awsome on long rides. And i’ll third the motion that it looks like a robotic velociraptor.