Exeter Unicycle Hockey Saturday 6th January

Having the BUC as the season finale makes a lot of sense and for the first season having a “short one” to iron out the organisation seems, to me, to be a good idea and then have the second season running for a whole year. just a thought

Roland

Lucas- just don;t get your self into the finals, shouldn’t be too hard to arange. Then clear off at 5.30
We get booted out of teh hall at 6pm but changeing rooms & showers etc are avalible after that time. I suspect there will teh traditional trip to pizza hut afterwards as well.

ha no way we left it til half for last time and still got there at about quarter to 7,because of traffice, exeter traffic hates me it made me miss the train to Blue Peter aswell.
Im really in a pickle of a decision aswell because football has asked me to play in a cup game so quite important on the other hand, hockey only happens once every few months,
Will I be in the South West team?
WIll there be space for freestyle when not playing?

Only every couple of months you reckon … 20th Jan EMU hockey Tournament, 10th Feb Manchester Torunament, 10th March Manchester… so we’re all going to be able to get our hockey fixes - you should definitely come, you don’t want to miss out

I suspect this is too late for you lucas- but yes I think you would be on a SWUM team, There will not be much space for freestyle , just that big balcony again ( tho we may have to leave that for an hour while there is a party close to it) . Sound like there will be quite fewe hockey events in teh coming months so i think you would get to play for SWUM at another event if you could go.

Thanks for great day of hockey everyone! i really enjoyed actually being competitive with it rather trhan in the past where i’ve played in a scratch team and not really cared about winning or losing. Go Swum team!
would anyone be kind enough to put some results up?

1st Lunis
2nd EMU’s
3rd London scratch
4th SWUM?

Sorry I didn’t hear the other results as I was playing in the above group during knockouts. Thanks Sarah for organising another great day, having parallel matches after the group stages worked really well.

Keith

As keith said but with a bit more detail…
In the semis - we (EMUs) beat SWUM 7-1 (I think - it was a shame that you had to leave early - Amanda gallantly stepped in in your place ) and in the other semi, LUNIs beat “London” 5-0 (I’m not sure about that one it might have been a bit closer then in the Final Luni’s beat us (EMU’s) 2-0 amd I think that “London” beat SWUM but unfortunately I don’t have the score for that one. I’m sure that sarah will post up full details in time.

Thanks to SWUM for putting on such a good afternoon it seemed to work really well, It was really good to see some new teams coming together - its looking like we may well have a very healthy hockey scene in the UK in the not too distant future if we can keep this up.

The only downsides were that the pitch was a bit on the small side and so could get a bit crowded it certainly looked that way in the matches that were played 6-a-side, but I guess that that is just a function of the hall we were in
And with the scratch teams they didn’t seem to be very well balanced - my main concern with this is that the EMU’s travelled down with 7 players so we knew two weren’t going to be able to play in our team but it we were all pretty close in standed to the extent that the final place in the EMU team was decided on the toss of a coin. So the there were two scratch teams “Scratch” & “London” which I feel should have been picked o be as balanced as possible to give all the spare players an equal chance of doing well - bearing in mind that as this was a league tournament then there are going to be good teams there and it will always be difficult for a scratch team that isn’t used to playig together. It seemed that “the London team kind of picked itself” to give a definitely better team than the other scratch team.

I personally think that having scratch teams in the torunament is an excellent idea to encourage as many people as possible to play hockey and help with the growth of the sport but I feel that it should be the duty of the “tournament director” to ensure that the players without teams are as equally as possible formed into teams to allow people to get the most out of the day. This isn’t meant as a complaint but as we’re at the formative stages of the league I just wanted to mention it as something to consider for future events.

Anyway, once more thanks for a fantastic day and roll on the next even - the Scratch Team Winter Warmer in Derby 4.00 pm - 9.00pm in Derby on Saturday 20th July

Roland

I didn’t enjoy playing in goal against you! I’d already ascertained from watching SWUM’s earlier games that you were the player to watch. There was some good passing going on between you and Paul, as well.

We (Severn Wheelers) were 5th, I believe Cardiff were 6th, I don’t know which order Southampton and Scratch finished in.

t’was a great day, inspiring to see so many amazing teams and hockey players!

yes an excelent day. thanks again to sarah for organising. i think we (southampton) improved hugely throughout the day. from the total thrashing in the first game (EMU’s i think) to the end of the day where the results were much closer. we even beat cardiff i think (with the help of certain additional player). would like to know where we finished in the end if pos. if we werent last i think that would be a triumph as we havn’t had a practice yet and one of our players hadnt played hockey before!

a brilliant day, i really enjoyed it. cant wait for more:)

dan

Yep that was us :o but glad you guys enjoyed yourselves over the day - don’t get disheartened as its the best way to learn thats what we found when we started. Another way to improve is to book a hall / pitch and organise a scratch tournament, loads of people will come I can almost promise somewhere between 5 & 10 from EMU and there’ll be a load from LUNI, SWUM etc. etc. you get to play with some of the better players and you learn so quickly - so pick a date get a hall and we’ll all turn up - Thats the approach we took when we started (EMU has only been going just over two years) and it helped us learning so much.

Roland

whoops i meant cambridge:o

you didnt mean cambridge, we beat cardiff (thanks to our extra player!), we beat cambridge by having a team!

it was a brilliant day, really enjoyed it and desperate for more days like this. Hopefully we will soon have somewhere to practise so that we can actually play together as a team before a tournament, and make sure that we have people to play in the team who have had a go at hockey before! i think that for never having played as a team before, and none of us having much experience at all (ish) we did quite well, only letting in around 25 goals over 4 (or 5?) matches. Im proud of our best score, 10 - 0 loss against the emus! what a great first match for a new team!!

apologies to anyone who thought we were crazy by the end of the day (and meal…), we had lots of fun! hope you did too!

looking forward to more,

Anna.

P.S. thanks to the people who volunteered to make our team up to 6 to play the bigger teams, we would have lost so much worse without you!!

thanks alot danny, i really enjoyed, playing you lot, it looked from the start as if you were going to thrash us but turned out to be a really good battle, like i said the competitive side of things, knowing that theres something in it if you win it was fun, yeh me and paul had some nice link up play along with sam running all over the place, and i think sarah set one up from in goal, We will have to try and get some regular practices together maybe.

I saw barry filming will you be putting some clips up? that would be cool, we could have a goal of the season at buc ha ha that would be very sophisticated for unicycle hockey.

quick reply to a couple of points people rasied.

small pitch for 6 man teams- Yes, but a game is meant to be 5 a side. I hadn’t realised any were played 6 a side, they shouldn’t have been.

un even scratch teams- Yes they were a little, I was trying to keep families and pairs of friends together. Scartch teams are surposed to be fun and its nicer I think to play with some one you know. The name “london” was kind of misleading as they came from Cambridge , hampshire and some where else i forget that isn’t london. While “scratch” came from London, cornwall and derby.

I would also like to say, before Sarah drowns in waves of constructive criticism, that I hugely enjoyed the day, as did all the rest of the Southampton team +1 (or +2). I think the 6-a-side games were played rather informally during the final stages on the less serious side (as in the competition to ascertain who loses best), so we had 2 6-a side games against Cardiff and Severn Wheelers, which were, in my opinion, better paced, more even and much less tiring than the usual 5-a-side. The usual setup of 5-a-side is of course the best and most fair setup, but it goes to show that the venue and the number of players per team greatly changes the feel of a game.

Many, many thanks to Ale(u)x who was our scratch addition at the last minute and became our staple team mate in convincing defeat (although it encouragingly became less convincing as the afternoon wore on). Also to Nick who helped us to our first team victory against Cardiff, and to the Cardiff team member who helped us to a narrow defeat against the Severn Wheelers, who’s name unfortunately evades me.

All of the team are now looking forward not only to the eventual commencement of practices here at Southampton University, but also more tournament competition in the future. We all learnt a lot as a team and it gave some of our team some vital practice in the decidedly unforgiving world of ‘playing against the Emus’.

More SWUM Hockey Days Please Sarah!

Loose.

And they meant that all 6 Severn Wheelers at the tournament were able to play a game together, ditto for the Cardiff players.

These were two of the last 3 games in the play-offs. When Southampton played Cardiff, someone (Russell IIRC) suggested letting a Severn Wheeler play for Southampton to have 6-a-side. Then, when Southampton played us, I suggested letting them have a Cardiff player. If was fun, but I certainly prefer 5-a-side (probably just because it’s what I’m used to).

Oh, and I got roped into refing my first game (Cardiff v Scratch). It wasn’t as bad as I feared, though it’s prompted me to reread the rules this afternoon. I think it’s a good few years since I last read them. I rather enjoyed it in a way. Perhaps I’ll have another good read of the rules before the next one and volunteer to ref again (but don’t hold me to that).

I think it was Paul.

Are you sure? The loser’s final was between Severn Wheelers and Southampton (which Severn narrowly won) and the third/forth play off was between Scratch and Cardiff.

Doesn’t that make it:

Severn 5th, Southampton 6th, Cardiff and Scratch 7th and 8th (not sure who won the last game)