Excited, Thought I'd Share

Hello Everyone!

I just came in from a long evening of practicing, and for the first time I feel completely satisfied that my work is going somewhere! I finally unied 18 feet without help from anyone/thing! Now I know that seems tiny to you guys and glas out there who can do some crazy-fun stuff, but its a huge step since I have only been riding a short time.

I did notice one thing though; even though I am a hopelessly right-handed person when it comes to every-day tasks, when I am on my unicycle my left foot, and hand seem to take over! I don’t think this is a bad thing, just weird since my left hand used to be pretty much for decoration. Has anyone else noticed a severe change in side dominance between unicycling and other stuff?

~Krissy

Oh, and By the way, here’s the photo you guys asked for. Do I fit the look of a unicyclist?

Congratulations!

I remember when I could go about 10 feet and then fall. Then came a day when I pushed off the wall and realised I’d gone three times as far; it felt like I’d forgotten to fall off.

I ran back and spent the next two hours practicing with a big grin on my face.

Krissy

Oh, and By the way, here’s the photo you guys asked for. Do I fit the look of a unicyclist?

Yes, though I would have recommended proping up your unicycle in the background for a truly authentic look.

Re: Excited, Thought I’d Share

Great picture, Krissy. I assume you’re the one on the right? :smiley:

Bruce

Congrats! Soon you’ll be getting some pretty nice distance, after that, you’ll most likely be zooming around as easy as a bike with minimal fatigue.

Yeah, a very you’re-a-mean-one-Mr.-Grinch grin. I need to try that out. :smiley:

Hey, that’s great, every achievement is rewarded by a bigger goal to set your sights on.

I hope you put that back in the cage, it sucks squishing your bird when you mount!

Krissy, are using the lift from that budgie to cheat? I don’t think it’s fair to have birds or helium balloons fight gravity for you.

The photo is unquestionably unicyclic.

Absolutely. Redheads are just born to unicycle… :sunglasses:

Re: Re: Excited, Thought I’d Share

And some unicyclists are made to be redheads.

Krissy, great progress!

neworleans2003061.jpg

Re: Re: Re: Excited, Thought I’d Share

Man, oh man, gotta love those redheads… even you Steve!:smiley:

Erin

:o

Krissy,

Excellent on your progress! You look to me like a cross between a librarian and Puck. :smiley:

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Sometimes your dominant hand is the more coordinated one, but not the stronger one, so if something requires strength (i.e., holding on), it may be more natural to do it with your nondominant hand. (It’s The Gripping Hand to Niven/Pournelle fans.) When I UPD and can’t stay on my feet, it’s always my left arm that keeps my face off the ground. I always wear a wrist guard on my left, but only use the right one if I think I’m doing something hard.

Will Charlie stay on your shoulder outdoors? It would be cool to unicycle with a bird keeping you company … particularly a talking bird.

Same thing happened with my hand. Not with my foot, but with my hand. I always use my right hand instead of my left to hold the seat while hopping, and dropping, and stuff.
My theory is that I use my right hand to keep the seat still, so I use my left dominant hand to flaial around to keep balance. That’s just a theory, though.

Good for you, Krissy!

I’m new at this too, and I love the feeling of finally getting it.
There are times when I practice that I think, “Ehhh, I’m not getting
anywhere today.” Funny thing, though, I don’t believe it’s that bad: in
truth, I think my body learns to balance a bit better every time I get on.

I’m a lefty, and for some reason I find that I’m dominant on my right on the
unicycle.

David
stiller ( at ) quip ( dot ) net

“K.r.i.s.s.y” <K.r.i.s.s.y.omodn@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:K.r.i.s.s.y.omodn@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Hello Everyone!
>
> I just came in from a long evening of practicing, and for the first time
> I feel completely satisfied that my work is going somewhere! I finally
> unied 18 feet without help from anyone/thing! Now I know that seems tiny
> to you guys and glas out there who can do some crazy-fun stuff, but its
> a huge step since I have only been riding a short time.
>
> I did notice one thing though; even though I am a hopelessly
> right-handed person when it comes to every-day tasks, when I am on my
> unicycle my left foot, and hand seem to take over! I don’t think this is
> a bad thing, just weird since my left hand used to be pretty much for
> decoration. Has anyone else noticed a severe change in side dominance
> between unicycling and other stuff?
>
> ~Krissy
>
> Oh, and By the way, here’s the photo you guys asked for. Do I fit the
> look of a unicyclist?
>
>
> ±---------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Attachment filename: charlie and krissy.jpg |
> |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/144860|
> ±---------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> –
> K.r.i.s.s.y
>
> There is a fine line between Insane and Genius
> (Some flirt with that line a little too much…)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> K.r.i.s.s.y’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3961
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/25589
>

Good job! You’re certainly getting the hang of it. Once you find your balance center and a ride a big distance you’ll be able to ride as long as you want. About the hand thing, I don’t really know, but my left foot has become more centered around unicycling. And you fit the look :wink: I like the glasses :sunglasses: …unless your the bird.