Evolution of Balance Award 2010

Hey,

I’m happy to say that the 2010 Evolution of Balance Grant award is now accepting applications!
Click here to go to the EOB page and download an application.

If you’re unfamiliar with it, the Evolution of Balance Award aims to help riders seeking mountain unicycling adventures. The intent is not to entirely pay for the trip, but rather to help make possible a bigger adventure than the winning team might otherwise choose to attempt.

The award is:
$1700 (CAN)
$500 (US) gift certificate for Horny Toad Activewear (www.hornytoad.com)
One free KH unicycle (single speed)
One free set of KH pads and gloves
Up to three additional Kris Holm unicycles at wholesale cost

Thank you as well to to Nathan Hoover and family, Unicycle.com, and Horny Toad Activewear for helping make this award possible.

Cheers,

Kris

I don’t know if I’m the only one but when I try and open the application form I keep getting a message saying the file is corrupt.

Fixed now =).

Grant applications are due on March 30, 2010 and grants will be awarded on April 30, 2010.

K.

Awesome, Thanks :smiley:

Kris – I just wanted to say thanks for putting the grant together. It is a great way to help encourage great epic mountain uni adventures.

corbin

Corbin - I appreciate the kind remarks.=) Hopefully there will be some great proposals this year! It is really cool to see people’s ideas as well.

Kris

“Applicant must be at least 18 years of age and complete legal liability releases.”

“If under age 18,name of guardian__________”

Does this mean under 18’s can take part or not?

No problem to apply if you are under 18, as long as your parent or legal guardian signs the release.

Cheers,

K.

Hey,

Quick head’s up: The Evolution of Balance Award application deadline is coming up soon (March 30). If you plan to send in an application, perhaps send me an email (info at krisholm.com) to let me know it’s coming.

If you’re thinking about applying, go for it! The intent of the award is to support adventures that might otherwise be unaffordable, not to entirely pay for a trip. But that said, if your idea is less committing than the 3 month epic done by the '09 winners, don’t let that stop you from applying.

Any applicants or anyone else that wants to, feel free to share your trip ideas here.

Cheers,

Kris

Just a thought, Kris.

Any chance you’d be including a clause in the future that has the winners retell their adventures on a microsite at krisholm.com?

It’s always been exciting reading about the winners’ trips and it’s a bit of a pity the links will get lost with the passage of time. It’d be inspirational definitely to newer unicyclists in years to come who wouldn’t have heard of the first few winners to have a repository to reference for their dream rides.

Yes - that is a really good idea. Not just for the stories but perhaps also as an inspiration for others who might want to do a similar trip.

There is a clause in the application that riders share their stories, but no specific restrictions. I talked to others about this, in particular my sister who has received quite a few climbing grants for expeditions and who sits on the board of one, and my mom who sponsors a mountaineering grant. Our consensus was that the type of people that win these grants are often the type who are willing to share and mentor others without needing it to be required.

That said I should get onto working on that as a resource site…

Kris.

upload problems

Hey Kris,
me and as I know some other folks have problems to upload pics there:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.2.8 Server at capture.krisholm.com Port 80

I suggest thats a reason why not more pics are posted there.

@jogi: wrong award :wink:

@kris: how about to enter with a three day muni competition? would that also be possible?

ups,

sorry:o