Essential Tools, Mechanical and Maintenence skills

A late answer.

I use this one :

It is small, light, backlit, gives an accurate PSI, BAR and KPA, and is compatible with Schrader valves.
Accurate according to some reviews I have read. At least it doesn’t give underrated pressure like my hand pumps jauges.

When I ride my 29+, or one of my 36ers I like having it with me for when I want to change the air pressure, depending on the terrain, and then I have my landmarks.
For example for trails and bumpy tarmac I put 42-45 PSI on the King George 36" (still experiencing with those numbers) , and for smooth roads/bikepaths I prefer 50 PSI.

Same thing with the 3" Knard tire, for riding on the tarmac I put 30 PSI, but for playing/ hopping or doing muni I will rather put 20 PSI.

IMHO There is no such thing as a accuracy “by touching the tire”, especially with the Knard.
So this is the perfect tool to know how many PSI you really have.

You can expect what you want and roll your eyes when you want. I can have a drily acerbic and fairly typical British sense of humour if I want.

I don’t see what my post count has to do with it. I don’t draw conclusions from your relatively low post count. For all I know you could have been riding for longer than me at a higher level and not been in the habit of posting. The bulk of my posts were made 7-10 years ago, when this forum was a very different place - sometimes several new threads a day, and constant chit chat. I come on it now and sometimes see nothing new for hours at a time.

I’m not sure about professing to be an instructor. Where did you get that from? I’ve helped a few people to learn over the last few years but never professed to be an instructor.

Yeah, I came along too late to have a real-time experience of this forum in its heyday, but when I look up stuff that no one has discussed since 2009, I get an inkling of how it used to be.

As far as pressure gauges, one built into a floor pump should be good enough, though to be honest I’ve never even really had a floor pump or a pressure gauge of my own. I usually just ride to my local bike shop, get a bit more air than I want, then let my tire gradually soften over the next two or three weeks. For my 20" wheel of learning, I like to start at 28-32 psi, but I’m too fat (200 lbs) and my tire too skinny (2.4 rather than 2.5), otherwise I’d probably start with a lower pressure. In the unlikely event that I do some real distance riding, ideally I will get access to a pressure gauge and floor pump somewhere, and put my 29 up to its limit of 70 psi.

Agree with you. With the pressure guage, I used Accutire MS-4021B

I found this product is best at here: https://automotivespaces.com/best-tire-pressure-gauge/

At here have some product very good and i have chosen Accutire MS-4021B

Up Rite, if you share some of your notes with the forum, I will read them. There’s a parable, I can’t find the attribution: Some scientists attempted to figure out the inner workings of a tiny hummingbird, only to kill it in the process. I don’t think unicycling is that fragile. Maybe just the egos of the riders on this forum (myself frequently included) are fragile. Unicycling is currently more of an art than a science. The compute scientist, Donald Knuth, said that making a science out of an art improves the art. Good luck! Glad to hear you’re improving.

I’m pretty sure he was talking about teaching beginners how to ride, not how to become an uber unicycle meister. Many new riders get so distracted by all the different aspects of the unicycle world that they don’t focus enough on learning to ride the thing, and instead might get bogged down by minutiae. Sometimes a good instructor can tell you where to focus your attention, and which things to worry about later.

There are plenty of over thinkers in these forums – we can argue about the most ridiculous or obscure things!

Sorry, not true. It was a process, but not real complicated to figure out how to make stronger unicycles when we kept breaking those old square taper unis. What was actually harder was getting unicycling to a place where an actual market was developed, to help cover the costs of development and make for affordable, high quality and really strong unicycles. People who preferred “simple” just kept riding their oldschool unicycles and doing the oldschool activities (secretly, they started riding offroad and bought the “good stuff” a few years later). :slight_smile:

I will venture to guess that you are not a teacher. Starting simple is not ending simple. But teaching someone to ride a unicycle, in an actual class-like situation, usually involves compromises, generally based around limits on time. The worst thing you can do to a beginner unicyclist is leave them thinking it’s even harder than they thought it was going to be. First we generally try to help new riders get some success; to get to that place where they can see the light at the end of the tunnel. From then they will learn and grow much faster, but if we can’t get them to that point within whatever time is available, they may never try again.

I get it. If we’ve written 7000 (or more) posts on here, how is it we don’t have time to make notes? I didn’t make any notes in my early days of riding either. I think that speaks to one’s personal style, and commitment to the activity. When I was learning, I wasn’t committed at all. My borrowed uni was a piece of crap, and I didn’t have easy access to information (Internet or its predecessors) to help in the process. My motivation didn’t really develop until after I realized I could ride the thing.

I once wrote on these forms, somewhere, a similar quote. I think it was something like “Learning to ride a unicycle is 90% perspiration, 3% inspiration, and 7% refusing to quit.” Something like that, but the original was better…

True. Also, figuring out what’s useful and not, is often the hardest part of all.

And us being unicyclists, about half will vehemently disagree about the art vs. science thing. Some will prove it mathematically. Others will post a video if the most beautiful riding you’ve ever seen. We’re an interesting bunch, and it takes all kinds!

And with that, I will post an “art” picture.

Hi everyone just wanted to say thanks and lots of respect to all of you who have been gathering/sharing the massive amount of helpful information on this site throughout the years, when u re on one wheel even a little splinter of advice is utterly useful! It is how things are supposed to be: each and every single one of us has opinions different to the others but we can only agree on the fact that our unicycles are the second greatest instrument one can possibly own in this lifetime. Great for mind, body and soul indeed… Bruce also said you must be like water, having no form of its own it is therefor able to adapt to any given unique situation. Sounds a lot like learning to unicycle:) A great tool for improvement too is having an imaginary ghost sensei telling me to pedal faster, climb it and now do it again! So i admit to being c r a z y and the wheel is like therapy… Have a nice day/night y’all and i hope all UPD’s worldwide turn out to be harmless and fun

I don’t expect from anyone else or post myself anything but enthusiam killing trolling. Are any of us really expecting anything useful or informative? I expect the entire internet to be full of selfies, brag posts, and misinformation or I’m trying to find that one other person out there who might agree with my opinionated stance.

Don’t get UpTight, please just feed my ego, tell me I’m alRight!

Yes, I’m just another thread killer in your midst,
JM

2 Likes

Yes! :stuck_out_tongue:

My earlier post that provoked this kerfuffle was short but to the point. My basic premise is: keep it simple, don’t over complicate it. Just do it. If the slogan’s good enough for Nike, it’s good enough for Mike.

I have a genuine and deeply held belief that the widespread promotion of the perception of complexity is a barrier to learning. Some people like to establish and maintain a mystique about things that are really quite simple. This is entirely up to them, but it can dissuade others and when it does, that is a Bad Thing.

There is a place for training diaries and detailed notes and achievement logs. In my view, it is for the small number of people who really want to explore the limits and possibly compete, either against others or against the clock. For the rest of us, it’s just riding a one wheeled bike for fun, and the very best thing is to do it, and learn by doing.

The fact that in one post I expressed this ironically and with brevity does not make me a troll. My record in this forum as an enthusiastic supporter of beginners, as one who is always willing to share stories and advice, and who has posted with equal candour about successes and failures should stand for itself.

Everyone here is free to disagree with me. It’s only riding a one wheeled bike. With few exceptions, no one dies.

I agree with you. It seems that the key to a lot of things in life is to break them down into bite-sized chunks.

Sorry

Hello everyone

Please forgive me if I offended anyone.

My attempt at adding a little humor may have been better left out of such a serious discussion.
JM

1 Like

Actually I think you did a pretty good job of summing up what social media can be, and what our national dialogue is turning into… :roll_eyes:

Hey all,

Thanks everyone, yes everyone! For the comments and feedback.

FYI, I am just a beginner to unicycling, starting late and overweight with intermittent and infrequent practice sessions (until the weather gets better). Just trying to get to riding in a straight line without falling off too much or breaking another unicycle under my excessive tonnage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA5UqUyFmT0

Share my notes? That would be a lot of paperwork.

Curiosity killing the cat?

OK, lets’s go with that :smiley:

@Up Rite: If you hit the button to the right of the “Quote” button, you’ll be multiquotin’ like johnfoss in no time. :slight_smile:

Remember to always remove the pedals before you remove the cranks (I have a set of cranks with pedals that wont come off). I’ m getting this excellent thread back on topic.

1 Like
  1. Now, that is good advice.

2. I was going to ask, do you have a vice? But I know how I’d answer that question myself!:smiley:

I did that with a set of cranks alread.

By the way, really liked your mounting tutorial video.