Enjoying unicycling with Jessie in Sydney

Hey Canoeheadted. Thanks for the advice on swapping feet each time free mounting. I tried it this evening down at the park. It breaks the monotonous feeling of “here we go again” Got up a few times on the KH29 with each foot forward. Ankle is feeling great, hope to remember to keep stretching it.

I put the KH muni bar arrangement on. Finding it useful in control, having both hands on each of the grips when mounting…I’ve stopped using the brake when mounting…it doesn’t seem to suit me.

And thanks for the kind words of welcome.
BTW, How did you come about your name for this forum? Whereabouts do you paddle?

…. You mount better than me…. I’m only game to mount right foot first on a 20”

“I put the KH muni bar arrangement on. Finding it useful in control, having both hands on each of the grips when mounting…I’ve stopped using the brake when mounting…it doesn’t seem to suit me.”

I’m a big fan of handlebars. I feel they provide a lot of handling leverage for my cross country muni and they also provide a symmetrical body position that can react predictably with the needed corrections to maintain balance.

Another thumbs up to ditching the brake assisted mount. It doesn’t suit anyone as is robs you of other skills that are needed to mount and ride.

I’ve developed an incredible hobby of buying, selling, repairing, and trading canoes/kayaks (watercraft) over the last 30 years and people started referring to me as a canoehead.
I joined a paddling forum called Canadian Canoe Routes and signed up as Canoeheadted.
200+ boats later along with countless trip reports to encourage others to start exploring safely by water and my street name of “Canoeheadted” has stuck.

So like I’ve said before… If you are anywhere near Burns Lake, British Columbia, Canada please give me a shout and we’ll take you for a paddle or a ride or anything that gets us out in the woods.
We have (what I call) a “Fun Park” in our front yard Trailforks Map and our area is called the “Lakes District” so a paddle/trip could easily be done.

Sorry about the ramble… now back to your regular perusing.

That depends on the mount. I find a brake assisted jump mount on a 36er so easy that anyone could do it with essentially no leaning curve.

Looks like a jump mount but since the wheel is held still by the brake are you pulling on the seat to help the jump be super easy or something?

Yes, pull and push quite a bit with the arms. Otherwise I can not jump nearly as high.

1 Like

You’re absolutely right.
I never even thought of that style of mounting.

I’ll have to try this mount if I ever get around to putting a brake on my uni.

Jump mount looks pretty cool too!
Though, as a starter, I can see that on occasion I will not quite make the landing on the pedals and it will be a instant crash landing, with or without pedal bite.

For now I’ll stick to foot pressure on the pedal combined with groin pressure on the seat to get up. Takes less energy, which I need to conserve for the 20 or so mounts I got to make in a session at the park (grass surface)

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.