Encounter 3 - Angels of Mercy

Still later on today’s ride, I stopped to bask in the sunshine on the edge of a large clearing in the forest. 25 hard miles ridden in the day, and I was starting to fade. Food and drink supplies were down to er… one apple. I don’t cope well with low energy levels, and it looked like I’d have to make my way back to the car sooner than I’d hoped.
I sat there, surrounded by oak, beech, birch and pine trees; squirrels were chattering and skipping about; birds were fluttering past on their various errands; there was not a cloud in the sky, and all was well with that little corner of the world. And I, being of an occasionally melancholy disposition, reflected that just one of the daisy cutter bombs or cruise missiles currently being deployed in Iraq would be able to destroy literally every living thing that I could see in every direction - and that perhaps ordinary Iraqis think their country is every bit as beautiful as I think mine is - whatever the rights and wrongs of the war.
And these morose musings were interrupted by the giggling of two girls of about 16, who approached me with some embarrassment to say that they’d finished their picnic and had some food left over. I looked so ‘chilled’ sitting there that they thought I’d be the ideal person to prevent the remaining food from going to waste. So they presented me with a piece of quiche, a bag of crisps and a full carton of orange drink, giggled shyly and walked off. Fuel for another 40 minutes or so of hard technical riding (by my standards). :0)

Encounters 1, 2, & 3

I vote for the creation of a new forum here.

The Mikefule Uni-Journal

Seriously! Mike’s posts rate their own forum!

Keep 'em coming, Mike!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your 3 Encounters!

– Glutes

Re: Encounter 3 - Angels of Mercy

Mikefule <Mikefule.kpiwd@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
> they thought I’d be the ideal person to
> prevent the remaining food from going to waste. So they presented me
> with a piece of quiche, a bag of crisps and a full carton of orange
> drink, giggled shyly and walked off. Fuel for another 40 minutes or so
> of hard technical riding (by my standards). :0)

You are a lucky begger mike.

sarah

Union of UK Unicyclists
By and for UK riders

Re: Encounter 3 - Angels of Mercy

where DO u find the ‘PAINT’ button on your keyboard?

:slight_smile: