Emma's Progress

Little kids are a trip, one minute they want to hold your hand for dear life, then they are suddenly squalling “I can do it all by myself,leggo!” By the time you read this I bet she’s ready for the hold-unto-a-long-stick-and-ride-around-Dad phase. Enjoy every minute JJuggle, this is the very best part of unicycling! carjug

About the young unicyclists question… (I’m 11, remember?)

Well everyone says I’m really talented and a fast learner, but it took me about 2 weeks to learn to ride it a good distance (about 100 feet). Now I’ve been practicing it for nearly a month or a month and a half and if you look at my post above, my best trick is jumping off a sidewalk. Right now I’m learning to “idle”.

if u have access to a diablo u must try that on the uni
it looks sooo kewl when u throw it high in the air and then pedal like mad and manage to catch it!
(i’ve done this exactly once)
somewhere someone must organise a diablo-soccer-uni game

:smiley:

Re: Re: Emma’s Progress

right: in my club I have seen kids learn in 2 weeks
and it took me 4 months!
probably we can set up an equation that shows the relationship
between age and learning duration :smiley:

bear

Gild,

The Lord of Terror loves soccer, but putting his big claws on those little pedals undermines his credibility. I hear he will agree to referee, however.

Lewis

Re: Emma’s Progress

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:05:24 -0600, wobbling bear
<wobbling.bear.kyj7b@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>probably we can set up an equation that shows the relationship
>between age and learning duration :smiley:

Good idea, it’s the sort of thing I love to do. But I have little
data. Maybe we should set up a new thread for it.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons and forks, so I wondered what do Chinese mothers use? Toothpicks? - George Carlin”

Emma’s Progress - April 6, 2003

For the past week or so Emma had been doing pretty well, getting to the point where she is able to pedal a few revolutions while only loosely holding my hands. Tim’s (DazedNContused) daughter emailed her some advice which we took: pretend that there are eggs between our hands and the harder we press the more like they are to crack. This was very useful and effective.

Today, however, Emma has told me she wants to take a hiatus from working on unicycling. I’m hoping this is a short term break, but one never knows.

She continues to make good progress with her juggling.

I’ll keep everyone updated on the next change in the weather which, with my child, is bound to be extreme.

Cheers,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

PS Well, I’ve got my 20"er back and made some feeble attempts again at juggling while idling. Dave (Gild), you don’t have much to worry about right now. :slight_smile: