editing software ????

Its CyberLink PowerDirector I really like it over windows movie maker

Sorry if I confused someone about AfterEffects - agentQ said it perfect: it’s a special effects and motion graphics editor that is perfect for short short stuff and in combination with a video editing software (like Premiere, FinalCut,…)

Concerning Vimeo: thats what they say on their site “For best results, we recommend using H.264 (sometimes referred to as MP4) for the video codec and AAC (short for Advanced Audio Codec) for the audio codec.”
http://vimeo.com/help/compression

imovie, as far as I can tell, doesnt give you picture in picture, aside from the baked in effects. which give you up to 6 picture in pictures, but limited control.

imovie does give you great slow and fast motion, image stabilization, and reverse direction. I use these a fair bit in subtle ways I hope arent even noticed. examples
in the open house titles, where there is a picture frame and usually a sign saying the trail, the trail sign is a video, not a picture, but I stabilize it. the photos from afar come out blurry, and the subtle motion adds interest.
the ‘previously on’ segments are 20% faster. You’ve seen them before… this lets me get thru key moments, show more clips, and start the real video in sync with the audio.

re mp4
I’ve tried a number of formats, and mp4 works best. h264 video, aac audio, and about 6mbit/s. main profile, 720p.
youtube gives you up to 2 GB, and vimeo 500 MB. The final HD transcodes will be about 2 mbits on yt, vimeo, facebook etc, but you should upload about double that for good measure.
mp4 as opposed to mov seems to have fewer issues.
wmv has 2 issues - dropped frames, if not whole sequences. and filtering… mainly on vimeo.
motion jpeg and mpeg2 would be okay, if you gave them enough bit rate.

It would be great if people could post example links.
This would show us what effects are possible, and I’m wanting to know the file formats each editors uses.

imovie 09 - open house 4

imovie 08 - snow

the snow one is kinda interesting technically. filmed on HDV 1080i, I wrote my own deinterlacer. Because imovie was mixing interlaced video with progress titles/effects.

Excuse me, your right. However I think its not quite as cut and dry here. I have spent A LOT of time fiddling with compression settings for both web videos and DVD.

If you go into your settings and simply click MPEG, or MP4 you are not going to be getting the same results as selecting H.264. Which is a MPEG-4 part 10. All H.264 conversions are MPEG-4, but not all MPEG-4s are H.264s.

Say you have a 3 jars a peanuts infront of you one are whole peanuts, one chunky peanut butter, and one smooth. Now, your overall goal it to squeeze these peanuts into a chocolate cup(your typical video sharing site). You obviously can not get those whole(uncompressed) nuts through the peanut butter injecter(uploader for videos sake). The chunky(or typical MPEG compression) will work, but may leave gaps and and not look the best. Now your butter smooth(H.264 compression) will load right in nice and easy, giving you the most peanut you can get in a small package(best quality vs. file size), it will look and taste the best.

If time is your concern a simple mpeg-4 conversion will work, but if you can spend a bit more time with the compression the h.264 will look the same and be a smaller file, or if you so choose, be the same size file and look better.

I may be confused, but this is what I have concluded with the reading and testing I have done… I am self taught and apologize if I am incorrect here. Just my couple sense.

Oh yes …

You are completly right - all this compression settings and finetunning takes a lot of time/patience and experience …

Are any of these tools good at manipulating multichannel audio?
I’d like to put the video clip’s audio on the center channel, and music on left and right.