Dyneema for Seat bases.

I was going to carry this along in the CF base thread, but figured to make its own thread. I know a lot of you older riders dont venture into some of the street discussions, and I know not a lot of the younger street riders would be too knowledgeable about this stuff.

So, anyways, this stuff has been out for a long time now. I havent had too much of time to research it, but the few things I have read about it sound very good. I also saw some videos of it being tested against an AK-47, which didnt penetrate it at all, but just made it buldge out a little. Makes sense that they use this stuff for armor coating and in a lot of cases, its replacing steel plating.

So, what are your thoughts on this? If it was built up, do you think it would make a nice seat base?

Of course. CF bases are much stronger, much lighter, much stiffer, much pimper, much more dollars. If you break a plastic base, go CF.

being bullet proof is no assurance that it will make a good seat base material, do you have any technical information on it, or an idea of the chemical makeup?

Maybe I’m just misunderstanding you Danni but he was asking whether Dyneema would be good for seat bases, not CF. We already know CF is.

No, not yet. I havent had much time to do much research on it. Thats kinda why I posted it here. To see if anybody else has researched it much.

I did find a link of a carbon fiber/dyneema combination, so ill be reading through that to see what it says about it.

Checking out the wikipedia article gives us some common usage in other similar sports, it looks promising:

Skis and snowboards

The bottom of most modern skis — the surface that contacts the snow — is coated with UHMWPE, treated for compatibility with waxes and with epoxy base material. These treated materials are known as P-tex, Isospeed, or Durasurf. Because the material is a thermoplastic, gouges can easily be filled.

Small Bicycle Parts

Freestyle BMX company Tree Bicycle Co. uses UHMWPE for bicycle front sprocket guards to protect them during a stunt in which a rider grinds on their sprocket guard.

Skating

Aggressive inline skating use UHMWPE for sole plates and frames to assist how well the skates slide when performing grinding tricks

Garland Manufacturing has sponsored both solar cars and inline skating projects with its GARDUR brand of UHMWPE.

Most high-level short track speed skaters use a cut-resistant suit made of Dyneema or a comparable textile like Kevlar.[citation needed]

Skateboarding

Downhill and trick slide skateboarders use UHMWPE for the plastic pucks used on sliding gloves.[citation needed]

Hockey

Ice hockey and field hockey sticks against US patent 5333857 use Dyneema as a material to reinforce the body of the stick.

It sounds like the most interesting properties of the polymer are its surface properties. For use in a seat base, it sounds less than ideal, especially because of:

So you would need some other substance to provide the stiffness of the seat, and then it doesn’t seem interesting to use this stuff; unlike snowboarders, we don’t care what the surface properties of the bottom of our seats are.