Dustin Kelm Benefit and Aid Opportunities

Hi all,

Most of us know who Dustin Kelm is and many of us know him personally. If asked, those who have made his acquaintance would tell you that Dustin is one swell guy and is the type that would go the extra mile for a friend or even a stranger. From my personal friendship with him since just last year, I can tell you that Dustin’s regard for the human race is one of love, caring, concern and respect. To that end, Dustin has established himself and his profession as a professional unicycling performer and incorporates spiritual and motivational talks into his performances. His love for people is almost unparalleled.

In late September, Dustin was rehearsing for a performance and suffered a devasting accident. He later reported about the incident on this newsgroup, which you can read here: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21050&highlight=titanium+kelm

Dustin has been unicycling for the past 20 years. As unicycling and performance is now his livelihood, the accident suddenly left Dustin without a source of income. To make matters worse, he and his lovely bride-to-be, Katy, are planning a December 2002 wedding. Dustin shared with me that he had had several performances booked this fall through December and planned on using the income to pay for his honeymoon. Obviously, his honeymoon plans are now in jeopardy.

This message is posted to ask for your help. If you are willing and able, we have set up several methods for aiding Dustin as he progresses through his healing back to full recovery. He expects to be back in the saddle again about April 2003. Please consider lending a financial hand to Dustin through one of the following methods. Again, Dustin would give the world to help someone in need, I’d like to think we can do the same for him in his time of need.

Here are several options:

1. We have set up a benefit account in Dustin’s name at his credit union. Donations can be sent to:
    Northwest Airlines Federal Credit Union
    14985 Glazier Ave.
    Apple Valley, MN 55124

Please send communication with the donation that the funds are for the “Dustin Kelm Benefit Account.” The account number is not necessary.

The credit union can also accept direct bank-to-bank transfers. You can call the credit union at 1-800-692-2274, press options 2 then 5 to speak with Member Services to set up the transfer.

Both avenues above will permit anonymous donation.

1. Dustin has a Paypal account. You can log onto http://www.paypal.com and make a donation to Dustin’s email address, uni@dustinkelm.com.

2. Lastly, you can send aid directly to Dustin at:
    Dustin Kelm
    5533 Malibu Dr.
    Minneapolis, MN 55436-1035

Again, please consider this request sincerely. Dustin is a very valuable member of our unicycling community and well deserving of our assistance.

Thanks,
John Drummond
Greg Harper
Bruce Edwards

Dustin is an incredible man who exudes tranquility and understanding. He has temporarily lost his source of income while simultaneously acquiring a fistful of rather nasty medical bills. Poor timing, indeed. I enjoyed meeting him at NAUCC/UNICON where I saw him exhibit impeccable timing. I hope to have the opportunity to meet him again next year and never have to see him limp.

Hi everybody,

I send my donation to Dustin and I hope more people do the same. I sprained my ankle last year in a unicycle practice and I know how he must feel. I wish him the best possible recovery and we hope to see you back on your unicycle very soon.

Please take care and good luck!

Carlos Medina

Puerto Rico All-Stars
Unicycle Basketball Team

Count me in on helping out Dustin.

Not only is he a great unicyclist, but he’s also a man of intergrity. He would be the first in line to help out if he knew of a need.

Get well soon Dustin!
Jason

When will donations stop being helpful? In other words, how long do I have to donate money?

Good luck with your recovery Dustin,
Andrew Carter

Andrew,

Dustin would know the best answer to your question, but I’m sure he has many expenses that are immediate and will be having bills come in for the next year or so. I don’t see the three donation opportunities disappearing anytime soon. Thanks so much for your interest.

Enjoy that new Municycle! When’s it come in?

Bruce

Re: Dustin Kelm Benefit and Aid Opportunities

Just a note on how you might be able to help Dustin.

The Unatics had a bake sale a few weeks ago. Due to the weather, we only
netted $25, but it’s a good idea if you live in an area where you can
raise funds like that. Good luck!

David Stone
Unatics

Jacquie and I sent a check.

Dustin is one of those people who not only spreads unicycling around to the general public, he does it in a positive and accessible way. He is one of our sport’s ambassadors.

The world could use more Dustin Kelms.

Well said John - we sent a check too.

—Nathan

“johnfoss” <johnfoss.e2hcb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:johnfoss.e2hcb@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Jacquie and I sent a check.
>
> Dustin is one of those people who not only spreads unicycling around to
> the general public, he does it in a positive and accessible way. He is
> one of our sport’s ambassadors.
>
> The world could use more Dustin Kelms.

nathan@movaris.com writes:
>Well said John - we sent a check too.
>
>—Nathan

Just to put a little friendly pressure on those who haven’t gotten around
to it, I’ll note (again) that the Unatics had a bakesale to raise $ for
Dustin. We just sent him a check for four figures (two of them were after
the decimal – but not for trying).
David

RE: Dustin Kelm Benefit and Aid Opportunities

We were able to come up with a “five figure” amount.

—Nathan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 2:32 PM
To: Nathan Hoover
Cc: rsu@unicycling.org
Subject: Re: Dustin Kelm Benefit and Aid Opportunities

nathan@movaris.com writes:
>Well said John - we sent a check too.
>
>—Nathan

Just to put a little friendly pressure on those who haven’t gotten
around to it, I’ll note (again) that the Unatics had a bakesale to raise
$ for Dustin. We just sent him a check for four figures (two of them
were after the decimal – but not for trying). David

Honeymoon Sponcership

Just contributed a paltry sum; while there are no strings attached, in appreciation, it would be swell if the following terms would be considered:

I’d like to sponcer 10-11 pm. on the first night of the Honeymoon. If the newly betrothed are out of sorts or less than amiable at this time, the sponcership should be differed to the time period imediately following the discordance. If it is later determined that conception was linked to this time period, please consider the following given names:

Rhysling
Christopher
Sophie
Podkayne

Conversly, the sponcership could be recognised by passing over the following letter conbonations:

Harper
Greg

which have been reserved for a bridge, commemorative cycledrome, and namesake instatute.

Thank you,

-Christopher