Durham...

I ache, I ache… even after a day and a half I am still creaking around slowly. Sunday evening was worse; I would have written then, but I was in pain, so I just watched Airplane! and went to bed.

But it was great fun… I’d not been to any conventions before, but it was great to ride with like-minded people and finally put a face to the paragraph, as it were.

Of course I was hideously outdone by people jumping around and doing all sorts of tricks I’m nowhere near even trying, but it was good to see them done in the flesh, as it were… all these videos are one thing but it’s something else to see someone actually jump straight up onto a stage, or ride standing on the frame.

It was also the first time I’d played unicycle hockey; I was amazed at how rubbish it made my riding seem! In the hall I could happily ride around quite effectively but the minute you’ve got somewhere to go, a ball to hit and a large stick to carry you fall off. Regularly and frequently!

Of course, I performed the mandatory faceplant. We went for a brief muni ride in the morning, along the river; on a steep uphill section my foot slipped off the pedal and WHACK! goes my face into the ground. Luckily I avoided breaking my nose or knocking out any teeth, although one of my front teeth is somewhat wobbly and hurts like hell, and my lip has a large hole in the inside…

As usual I came back with more than I took there; I’ve now got one of those new fangled Velo seats, and I like it, I like it a lot. It’s very thick and comfy, which is good; the handle seems a lot more sturdy than the bendy miyata one on my previous seats. The only thing I wasn’t keen on was it seems wider at the front, which caused my thighs some grief what with riding pretty much all day. This might be solved by wearing something less abrasive, but at the end of the day my legs had quite painful red patches where the seat had rubbed.

The show on saturday evening was fantastic… Roger and Leigh’s bit was great, despite the music being wrong at the beginning (:D), and I particularly liked the chap juggling with glowing red balls (Ooo, painful)… most impressive.

I took my little camera… sadly it was full before the show (the thing said 100 pictures, it only took 77!) but there were some good photos. I’ve put a selection on my website… http://www.flippet.org/muni/durham.html

The thought occured that being my first convention identifying people was tricky… I got Ewan from his uni with the erotically named grind disc thingy, but maybe next time I should get my legoman head made into a t-shirt. Hmmmm…

Unfortunately after a brilliant weekend it’s back to normal, so I have a lecture to go to. Tata…

Phil, just me

Re: Durham…

I know what you mean I played for the first time at the last uni meet (you should come to some of those) and I was crap. It is so much harder to do than it looks, fun though.

Would that be a Sipix Blink camera? Mine has the same blurs around the edge, cheap optics but great for take anywhere snapshots.

I couldn’t get to Durham, pity as it sounded good.

Cheers, Gary

Re: Re: Durham…

'Twas indeed. It’s dead easy to carry round and cheap so it’s not a major problem if I break / lose it, and the pictures are adequate most of the time.

I think if there were more of a “mid-range” priced camera I’d get that instead, mind; too many photos end up not very good due to blurring or less-than-perfect light conditions. But it seems like you pay either £40 or £160-odd…

Phil, just me

Re: Durham…

phil wrote:
>
> unicus wrote:
> > Would that be a Sipix Blink camera? Mine has the same blurs around
> > the edge, cheap optics but great for take anywhere snapshots.

>
> 'Twas indeed. It’s dead easy to carry round and cheap so it’s not a
> major problem if I break / lose it, and the pictures are adequate most
> of the time.
>
> I think if there were more of a “mid-range” priced camera I’d get that
> instead, mind; too many photos end up not very good due to blurring or
> less-than-perfect light conditions. But it seems like you pay either £40
> or £160-odd…

Consider looking at the Mustek gSmart Mini 2:

It’s 1.3 megapixels (2.1 interpolated), 16MB memory, lithium ion
rechargeable battery and it’s tiny.