Duct tape on pedals

I was thinking today of a possibilty that i could loosely ductape my feet to the pedals, kind of like an exercise bike Has anyone tried this? I would imagine that i could hop better, but i would probably have nastier falls cause its harder to get out.

Scott Stephens, Equipment Distroyer,

I would have to say that if you duct taped your feet to the pedals, you will end up distroying some very fine equipment.

Bruce

good idea

Thanks Bruce, but we are talking about torker pedals. I could always take the pedals off my bike if i ruined those. :roll_eyes: Its just an idea, the duct tape will come off wont it?

I dont think yoopers is talking about your pedals there scott.

Duct taping your feet to the pedals is just a bad idea. Just think how bad it is to sit on your nuts, now imagine comming down from a set of stairs and impaling them on your seat… yeah

Take it easy with the duct tape Scott

Scott,

I was actually talking about body parts. I wouldn’t want my feet secured to unicycle pedals for any reason.

As far as duct tape coming off, I used some pretty cheap stuff from Wal-Mart once to hold our unicycle club sign upright on the top of the truck for a parade. When I removed the tape, it left much more than a sticky residue. It seemed as if most of the threads that make up the tape backing pulled from the tape and left a mess on the truck. I suppose it’s the old thing, you pay for what you get.

Bruce

Re: Duct tape on pedals

Duct taping feet to pedals=bad (but clever) idea. If you want your feet
attached to the pedals I suggest you consider something like powergrips
(http://www.performancebike.com/shop/large_photo.html?SKU=1401&Store=Bike)

I tried them briefly on a mountain bike and didn’t like them but at least
you might be able to get your feet off the pedals in most “normal”
dismounts.

For several years I rode my street uni with toe-clips/straps. I recently
started working on freestyle skills and speed. The clips/straps were
incongruous with this type of riding so I’ve removed them.

I believe the general consensus is, that for anything that secures your feet
to the pedals, you are jeopardizing your safety.

-mg
“Scott Stephens” <Scott.Stephens.ap1tc@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:Scott.Stephens.ap1tc@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I was thinking today of a possibilty that i could loosely ductape my
> feet to the pedals, kind of like an exercise bike Has anyone tried this?
> I would imagine that i could hop better, but i would probably have
> nastier falls cause its harder to get out.
>
>
> –
> Scott Stephens - Equiptment Destroyer
>
> If it weren’t for electricity we’d all be watching television by
> candlelight."
> George Gobol
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Scott Stephens’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1262
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/20312
>

Another (safer) idea is to take the stirops (sp?) that you get for MOUNTAIN BIKES WITH TWO WHEELS THAT ARE JUST AS FUN AS UNICYCLING ans remove the tensioning strap, just leaving a plastic ‘hook’ to put your feet into.

You wouldn’t be able to yank your feet up with this idea, but you would surely notice an advantage, and be able to get some lift.

I considered this. My local Halfords sells plastic toe clips which don’t actually need straps, and which are shorter than the full length toe clips which were popular in the old days before clipless pedals. I decided that mounting would be a problem as the pedals would be top heavy and would hang upside down.

As for using DST to hold your feet onto the pedals, this seems like a bad idea. You will sooner or later UPD at high speed.
In one desparate flurry of movement, you will separate your feet from the pedals, then hit the ground running… except you won’t be able to run as your adhesive soles will stick to the ground. You will fall flat on your face in a manner which will appear comical to others, although painful to yourself. Your ankles will be painfully wrenched as your feet stay horizontal and your shins become horizontal too.
As a final indignity, as you lie prone upon the ground, bemoaning your misfortune, the uni will continue to fall and the front of the saddle will fall like a hammer blow upon the vulnerable rear portion of your dangly bits. This will make riding home a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

You could try Velcro, though?

I have a feeling that one day, there will be a good, safe answer to the
foot-grip issue (how to maximize stability and minimize slippage without
giving up safety), but for now, it looks like those nasty pedals (with
metal pins) might be the best way – at least they don’t turn UPDs from
S-3 or -4 to S-5 or -6 (death by toe clips). That is, you land on your
feet instead of having a major injury.

Mikefule.aq3rz@timelimit.unicyclist.com writes:
>> You wouldn’t be able to yank your feet up with this idea, but you
>> would surely notice an advantage, and be able to get some lift. *
>
>I considered this. My local Halfords sells plastic toe clips which
>don’t actually need straps, and which are shorter than the full length
>toe clips which were popular in the old days before clipless pedals. I
>decided that mounting would be a problem as the pedals would be top
>heavy and would hang upside down.
>
>As for using DST to hold your feet onto the pedals, this seems like a
>bad idea. You will sooner or later UPD at high speed.
>In one desparate flurry of movement, you will separate your feet
>from the pedals, then hit the ground running… except you won’t be able
>to run as your adhesive soles will stick to the ground. You will fall
>flat on your face in a manner which will appear comical to others,
>although painful to yourself. Your ankles will be painfully wrenched as
>your feet stay horizontal and your shins become horizontal too.
>As a final indignity, as you lie prone upon the ground, bemoaning
>your misfortune, the uni will continue to fall and the front of the
>saddle will fall like a hammer blow upon the vulnerable rear portion of
>your dangly bits. This will make riding home a thoroughly unpleasant
>experience.
>
>You could try Velcro, though?

David

In article <mailman.1031592492.23716.rsu@unicycling.org>,
David Stone <dstone@packer.edu> wrote:
)I have a feeling that one day, there will be a good, safe answer to the
)foot-grip issue (how to maximize stability and minimize slippage without
)giving up safety), but for now, it looks like those nasty pedals (with
)metal pins) might be the best way – at least they don’t turn UPDs from
)S-3 or -4 to S-5 or -6 (death by toe clips). That is, you land on your
)feet instead of having a major injury.

I have this theory that you could do something with magnets.
-Tom

Today I found a pair of Specialized clipless pedal shoes in my garage. If I can manage to dig up a pair of clips then… :slight_smile:

That’s great Accord, why not get over the broken neck before breaking your lower spine?

I use Clipless petals for my Mountain Bike and I like them a lot, of course, that’s on a bicycle. I’ve never seen clipless petals on a unicycle, but I imagine it would be nice, IF, you were really good and UPDs were very rare for you. Also, if anyone attempts this, I suggest a lot of protective gear. They really aren’t that hard to unclip once you get the hang of it, it’s just a twist to the side. I don’t know how fast someone could do that on a uni though, it would have to be pretty fast for some of the stickier UPDs. I’ll just stick with nice platforms and good pins for now on my uni. :slight_smile:

topside

I’m with Tom go for the magnet approach.
:slight_smile:

I can’t say it’s something that I’ll be riding with on a regular basis, but I’d like to give clips a try on a unicycle just for fun. Who knows, maybe I’ll build a 700c down the road for distance riding that I put clips on. Although I imagine speed + clips are a bit more dangerous than going slow + clips. Ohh well. :frowning:

i have tried an old pair old clipless pedals of mine (from my bike) on my uni and found that it is just like what you would expect it to be like. riding and hopping is excellent but mounting/dismounting is hard/painful. it’s fun to try but i do not suggest anyone use it for high risk situations. the only situations i would suggest is on a 20 or 24" to simply ride (no trials or freestlye) if anyone has an old pair of pedals and shoes i would encourage them to try (temporarily) it’s quite fun:p

Don’t do it!

Ok, if you insist.

Go with the clips or clipless gear.

Put on a full-face motorcycle helmet.

Then strap one of these babies on:
http://hit-air.com/english/system/index.html

Doug

Re: Re: Duct tape on pedals

If anyone is going to try clipless pedals on a unicycle I would suggest wearing this <Project Grizzly by Peter Lynch - NFB; as protection.

On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 18:58:37 GMT, doosh@inl.org (Tom Holub) wrote:

>I have this theory that you could do something with magnets.

Maybe electromagnets that can instantanously let go, triggered by…
what? A dead man’s knob? A gyro sensor on the frame? A voice analyser?

Klaas Bil

If you had this signature, I have forged it.

I tried clipless pedals last yr. They’re great for control and hands free hopping/other tricks and not too bad for disengaging except for the unexpected forward dismounts (=faceplant). I still think they’re a good idea and just need some sort of modifying to release when pulling your foot forward (the direction you are going).

This has been discussed on Muniac.com but I haven’t got around to modifying my pedals yet.

clipless pedals

Ken