drilling out wheel

Jarin! What’s up man!

stfu.

Dude!
Okay Derek’s post may have been slightly sarcastic, and even if you don’t agree entirely, it still had a perfectly valid point in it! Did you not yourself make a very sarcastic thread recently?
No need.
I personally am a bit of a weight weenie, and wouldn’t mind having a drilled rim at all, I’d have to learn how to maintain my wheel though :slight_smile:

Drilled rims can be weaker but not by much it depends on how there drilled, like the 09 KH rim has smaller holes on the outside of the rim then the inside if I remember right, but also the holes don’t go straight through they have a dilling on the outside and too the left or right on the inside thus making it a strong rim still.

personal I’ve bent a nimbus rim but not my KH and I built both my wheels for it.

But pretty much now days the nimbus rim and KH rim are more or less the strength

So I dont know the exact weights of them, but I know that my drilled KH is quite a bit lighter than my nimbus, and thats comparing the 47mm KH to a 42mm nimbus. I would imagine my KH isnt as strong, but its strong enough, like I said… And it is lighter to the point where it is noticeable…

comparing the Tryall undrilled 47mm rim to pretty much every other rim i’ve had : 2x KH07, Tryall drilled, onza hog and all have bent/come out of true much faster than my undrilled rim.

Drilled rims just don’t last as long. The new KH09 might be a little better, I don’t know UDC didn’t have any in stock. I’ve had my Tryall undrilled rim for more than 2 years now and it’s still in very good shape just retired it for my light wheelset. I’ll see if I regret it.

Also double butted spokes should actually be stronger. Because they flex more than normal spokes therefore meaning they are less likely to snap. I’ve only had them once before and they snapped very quickly. This time I went for SAPIM double butted race spokes, we’ll see how long they last.

Also 14G spokes is the way to go, 13G is so annoying to get spare nipples and all. Then again i’ve never snapped that many spokes.