Dose of reality

It’s the Red Bull 24 hour race this weekend… suddenly, it’s starting to look very serious.

3 weeks ago, I reckon I was the fittest I’d been for several years. I was getting close to riding 13 miles in an hour, and easily doing 20+ mile rides in under 2 hours. Then the flu bug hit. The following week, I nearly had to get off and walk after 5 easy miles; the next week, I didn’t ride at all. I’d paid ‘up front’ for a course of fencing lessons, so I attended ‘against my better judgement’, and it took my legs 4 days to recover.

Well, tonight was my first time back on the Coker, with my recovery almost complete. And what a reality check!

The plan was to ride difficult off road sections, rather than going for flat out speed. I decided to ride fast but steady, rather than as fast as possible.

And within a mile, my first UPD! A short section of compacted grit path, followed by a section of flat narrow single track, and I failed to make the transition, and wallop! And it took me 2 attempts to remount! In mitigation, I had transferred my handle from the MUni to the Coker, and this had changed the ‘feel’ of mounting. I hadn’t practised with the handle, and it took a few more mounts during the ride before it felt natural to use it.

After that, I rode around the lakes at the National Water Sports Centre, but taking the high route over the grass banks, rather than the level tarmac. I disovered a few ‘new’ tracks, and in one memorable section, I found myself trapped in a Landrover track through the vegetation: two fossilized wheel ruts through deep thistles and nettles tall enough to sting my arm when I was up on the Coker! Dismounting was not an attractive option; neither was riding deeper into this thicket of stingers. I took the obvious third way, riding until I fell off, then turning and riding back out.

The most difficult section of all was over some gently sloping banks with deep ruts and ridges concealed by dry stubbly grass. This is a section I’ve always cunningly avoided before, but with the race imminent, I went for it. The handle really helped: it’s not so much the extra leverage it gives, as the extra feel for what the uni is doing, and the extra control when you stand up on the pedals.

And when did reality bite? At the hour, when normally I would expect to have done 12.5 - 13 miles on a good day… well, after an hour of riding mixed surfaces, I had done a paltry 8.66 miles - and I was totally whacked!

I got back to the car mainly by easy tracks, but with one or two difficult sections. The total ride showed an elapsed time of 1:20, a ‘riding time’ of 1:15.17, and a total distance of 11.33 miles. Bizarrely, max speed was showing as 20mph, but we can safely rule this out!

I expect the Red Bull course to be a lot harder than tonight’s ride, and I’ll have to do 11 miles 3 or possibly 4 times!

You may be still recovering. Make sure you don’t do any strenuous riding the day before the event. This is a rule followed by bike racers, so it should be sensible for you as well. Train all you want before that, but allow your body a chance to catch up before the big event.

Good luck, and remember to enjoy it!

I’m not fully recovered, but the main reason my mileage was so low was that previous timed rides were on good surfaces, and this one was some of the toughest continuous off road I’ve done on the Coker. I’m not too worried about that.

As for not riding on the day before the event… Tuesday will be my last training ride; Wednesday is fencing (leg intensive sport!); and Thursday is Morris dancing (leg intensive sport!); but Friday will be reasonably relaxed, although I think we get to walk/ ride the course for familiarisation purposes.

It’s only a game, and my first objective is simply to complete my 3 laps - 4 if possible. Times and speeds are less important, although I’d like to think they’ll be respectable… ;0)

Best of luck at the Red Bull Mike; I’m looking forward to your post race post.

Re: Dose of reality

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:16:30 -0500, Mikefule
<Mikefule.p4s00@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>And when did reality bite? At the hour, when normally I would expect to
>have done 12.5 - 13 miles on a good day… well, after an hour of riding
>mixed surfaces, I had done a paltry 8.66 miles - and I was totally
>whacked!

Is it really that bad? I had the impression that your previous 12 - 13
miles for one hour rides were mostly on tarmac or easy trails, whereas
on this day you appear to have covered quite a bit of more difficult
terrain. Good for Red Bull preparation of course, but… you know,
apples and pears and such. (I’m trying to take the positive look.)

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

"Three dog night (attributed to Australian Aborigines) came about because on especially cold nights these nomadic people needed three dogs (dingos, actually) to keep from freezing. "

Klaas Bil, I’ve just noticed your signature: -

"Three dog night (attributed to Australian Aborigines) came about because on especially cold nights these nomadic people needed three dogs (dingos, actually) to keep from freezing. "

Just out of interest, what exactly did the Aborigines do with the three dingos to keep from freezing?

If you’re feeling a bit undertrained before a race, drink a litre or two of magic energy drink in the hour before your lap and then put the same stuff in your camelbak. Drinking before really gives you a massive energy boost, even compared to drinking energy drink during the race.

Joe

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:56:56 -0500, onewheeldave
<onewheeldave.p54yo@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Just out of interest, what exactly did the Aborigines do with the three
>dingos to keep from freezing?
They sleep with them. Now I bet that that is EXACTLY what you were
thinking. :slight_smile:

I didn’t know but I Googled it up. My sig lines are randomly picked on
a daily basis from a database largely filled with trivia posted in
Just Conversation, as opposed to being fruits from my own research.

Marilyn Monroe had six toes.

For some reason I thought they might have eaten them!

I guess it’s better for everyone concerned to sleep with them, especially the dingos.

Are you sure Marilyn Monroe had six toes?

Klaas Bil wrote:

Marilyn Monroe had six toes.

Not eleven or twelve, but six? Bad case of frostbite?

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:32:52 -0500, onewheeldave
<onewheeldave.p6yh0@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Are you sure Marilyn Monroe had six toes?

Folks (in this particular case nosabe332, Scott Kurland and
onewheeldave) are occasionally somewhat overreacting on my sig lines.
I have NOT personally researched them, they are just taken from trivia
lists that were the rage in Just Conversation some time ago. When
questioned I have occasionally investigated a few of them (as yet) and
most of them in fact turn out to be false. Also in this case:
<http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmtoes.htm>.

I think I will soon add a disclaimer to my sig lines, or better yet,
come up with a different scheme altogether.

“No two crotches are alike. If they are, I don’t want to know about it. - John Foss, on seat comfort.”

Reposted on the forum because it got not forwarded from the newsgroup.

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:32:52 -0500, onewheeldave
<onewheeldave.p6yh0@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Are you sure Marilyn Monroe had six toes?

Folks (in this particular case nosabe332, Scott Kurland and
onewheeldave) are occasionally somewhat overreacting on my sig lines.
I have NOT personally researched them, they are just taken from trivia
lists that were the rage in Just Conversation some time ago. When
questioned I have occasionally investigated a few of them (as yet) and
most of them in fact turn out to be false. Also in this case:
<http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmtoes.htm>.

I think I will soon add a disclaimer to my sig lines, or better yet,
come up with a different scheme altogether.

“No two crotches are alike. If they are, I don’t want to know about it. - John Foss, on seat comfort.”