Does your spouse support or oppose your Unicycling

I only hope you were not responsible for the AML compliance system at CBA.:slight_smile: Could be worse though, AML at Wespac. :astonished:

Next week it is NABā€™s turn at mea culpa.

Small is good. I actually wrote our original AML monitoring system.

Very soon after I got some very good lights from Aldi. Super bright. And I bought a helmet from EBay that has a very bright light at the front, lights at the sides and at the rear! Easy recharging via USB. Ok, the helmet doesnā€™t have Australian standards label on it, but the lights are good and it is a very well made helmet.
This is it, just over $70:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROCKBROS-Bike-Light-Helmet-MTB-Road-Ultralight-Bicycle-Helmet-Size-57cm-62cm-AU/163038954870

Or:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROCKBROS-Bicycle-Helmet-Size-57-62cm-Helmet-with-USB-Rechargeable-Light-AU-STOCK-/163838235453

Is the big red bus white before you get hit?

Writing documentation makes you expendable. Iā€™m glad we donā€™t have time to write it. That is why I could keep my job even, when choosing to move back to my own country. Not only did I want to move back because I wanted to live closer to my family, but because I had only just learned to ride uni in Denmark, I was so sick of all the hills and longed for the flat Netherlands. Unfortunately I now live in the one place of NL where it is quite hilly still. Oh well, Iā€™ve become a lot better and now they are a good workout.

Iā€™m thinking documentation is hard, and over time databases grow, new tables, views, stored procs get added. Things get forgotten about. The database systems Iā€™ve inherited, most of it doesnā€™t have explanation either. As my company never had separated test and prod systems and it was all done by one smart guy (who stored all the knowledge in his head and nowhere else), iā€™m sure there are many unnecessary legacy objects in databases too. I suppose if the business doesnā€™t force you to document itā€™s potentially a ticking time bomb for the company.

Iā€™ve had to learn a lot quickly in this role and Iā€™m generally comfortable with what I encounter at work now, but there are just so many existing objects in the databases (and whole databases for that matter) that I do not know why they are there. And if I donā€™t know, no one knows.

Anyway, way back in the early and mid 2000ā€™s I was working for Amex. With the GFC I was made redundant. In my small team, I was the technical one. I struck up an agreement that if they needed me to do something, Amex would engage me as an Independent contractor with contracting rates. That worked well.

Denmark and The Netherlands are awesome countries to ride inā€¦ probably the best in the world. I was amazed to see in Denmark the roundabouts have separated bike lanes tooā€¦ thatā€™s brilliant.

Well, Pick Systems no longer exists as Pick Systems (itā€™s been through Tiger Logic, Raining Data, itā€™s currently Rocket Software). And native Pick no longer exists (as far as I know - support for AP ended in 1999), but flavours like D3 and mvBase are still going strong.

Guess what I do for a living :smiley:

Shush! Yes, I did that. I commented out that crucial codeā€¦ Plus wrote a routine that puts all partial cents (From savings account interest calculations) into my own personal accountsā€¦ Due to this code I wrote Iā€™m aā€¦ drumroll pleaseā€¦ A Trillionaire :roll_eyes: :sunglasses: :smiley:

I think small banking institutions fly under the radar and was subject to less scrutiny, but I donā€™t know for sure. I would think that the Big 4 spent a lot of money defending their cases at the Royal Commission. Employed top legal talent to argue their cases.

** In case any readers do not understand emoticons, I had nothing to do with the ATM code used at CBA nor did I apply any cent rounding code for personal or business gain (but I heard/read about that growing up)! Anyway, I was kidding on both counts

unnamed.jpg

There are at least three of here who work with Pick derivatives?

My first wife (we were in our 20s) was supportive. We had various hobbies and gave each other space to do these things. I did Morris dancing and unicycling; she played flute and went sailing.

My second wife knew I unicycled before we met. We met through a dating website. The first time she saw me ride a unicycle, she thought it was cool. Since then, weā€™ve done a couple of rides with her on 2 wheels and me on 1, but it was a bit of a mismatch. She had a brief go at riding unicycle, but had a nasty fall and lost her nerve. Both her sons (now my stepsons) taught themselves to ride, and we now sometimes ride together.

Iā€™m not a world relationships expert, but I think couples have to respect each otherā€™s different interests and hobbies. However, hobbies have to take second place to domestic and family duties.

Document. Setonix mentioned how not documenting is job security, but isnā€™t that kind of selfish and anti-company? Anyway, it probably reflects that he hasnā€™t been ā€œthat guyā€ that has to take over a non-documented system thatā€™s not easy to figure outā€¦

But if you want to be sneaky, you can create your documentation in your own personal code, where it doesnā€™t make sense to the casual observer. Then, if the need arises for someone else to know all your secrets and you arenā€™t leaving the company, you can easily convert it for easier reading. :slight_smile:

Denmark has hills??? :thinking:

100% agree. If domestic and family duties are thought of as secondary, especially if you have children, this is going to lead to relationship damage.

Supporive!

Supportive! I already new she was (my first unicycle was a Christmas present from her, admittedly at my request), but she proved it last week by agreeing I go to Unicon in France next summer! No questions asked except I arrange childcare with my mum for my eldest daughter after the school holidays start.

The stars had already aligned when a group of friends invited me for a weeks mountain biking in the French Alps, the same week as the start of Unicon. This is too good an opportunity to miss, I thought - first half of the week on two wheels, second half I can catch the start of Unicon, the XC and maybe the DH, and share accomodation close enough to Grenoble to be viable.

Anyway, the only stumbling block for many men to a plan like this could often be ā€˜the wifeā€™, but in my case apparently not (maybe because I donā€™t call her ā€˜the wifeā€™ ) : )

PS the observant among you will notice this is my first post - I have been lurking for a long time - sorry - but finally joined up and looking forard to getting to know you all!

Awesome MuniEmu!

Question. Where are you? Emuā€™s are Australian, and Grenoble is far awayā€¦

Thanks Gockie!

I am in the UK, it is about a 12hr drive to Grenobleā€¦ so when I was trying to think up a user name, I have just got a new pickup truck (ute?), and the registration number kind of says EMU (well is starts with an E and has an MU) at the end. The quickest way to a personalised registration plate, is to change your name right?

I wanted to use OldManEmu, after the off-road suspension people, but thought MuniEmu was more appropriate! Plus I am not that old (41)ā€¦

In Jutland around Aarhus there are hills. On the west-coast it is as flat as NL, but I didnā€™t live there.

Even though we donā€™t have so much time documenting, I add comments in the code, so document and code are merged together. I expect from any new colleagues joining the team to take notes when I explain stuff to them and the rest they should figure out by themselves. We are a small team and in the past 12 years I have mostly written new code. Lucky me.

so youā€™re saying you canā€™t get a personalised numberplate in the UK? When I lived in Denmark, I bought a car and had SETONIX on my numberplate. It was expensive to register, but I thought well worth it. Around 1500 EUR. Reminding me of IT people earning too much money :slight_smile:

wait until the UK drifts away at the end of January and then It will take longer :frowning: (tears: I will pay more for my tea and morning scones :()

Very true :angry: ā€¦ still hopefully ā€˜attend unicycle world championshipā€™ is enough justification the the visa or whatever else is put in placeā€¦

@ Setonix, you can get personlised plates, but you have to stay within the standard format of letters, numbers and spaces. Which means often you have to read numbers as a letter and/or change the spacing (which is in theory illegal). Plus they can be expensive for a good one.

My second date with my now wife was a unicycle lesson, so itā€™s probably different than taking it up while in an existing relationship. That said, we are together because we have diverse interests (sheā€™s a puppeteer).