Do you think that age effects how much someone will spend on unis?

I was thinking about this myself today and wondered what you guys thought…Do you think that a riders age will have any great effect on how much of their budget goes into unis?

I dont think it does. Im only 17 and ive spent $2000 on unis in not even a year!! :astonished: . Yet im sure that there are older people who have bought nothign more than a $100 Torker. And vice versa of course.

So what do you guys think?

And another question. When you bought your first uni…I mean the first one you ever had, did you ever imagine that you would become so involved in the sport. I just bought my uni for fun…Now its aa important part of my life…I cant imagine myself not riding.

So what do you think?
-Phil

i’d say the older you are the more you will spend on uni’s.

i was aiming to get more involved than i currently am.

I thinka ge affects it mostly because most older people have more money than younger people.

but younger people are more likely to spend more than students. I never have any money any more…

yeah, but they don’t have as much as the younger people’s parents :frowning:

yeah, good point - taking that into account, a lot of kids are richer than I’ll ever be…

I really have to stop this habit of ending sentences with three dots…

Of course it does. It is a peaked distribution. In both the limits it goes to zero. You spend nothing as an infant, nothing when you’re dead, and maybe more than nothing in between those two limits.

Thank you Harper for your ever confusing input :slight_smile:

Harpers hilarity factor shares a similar curve, long live Harper! :smiley:

It’s not my age, it’s my immature streak that made me spend all that money on unicycles.

Bart: What’s on?
Homer: It doesn’t matter…

:slight_smile: Simpsons forever

I’m eighteen and I’ve spent more than 300 euros on my first unicycle. Still, I worked for it. Now I’m considering a few improvements, like a Kris Holm frame and stuff… :sunglasses: And I wanted to save some money…

Re: Do you think that age effects how much someone will spend on unis?

trials_uni enlightened us with:
> I dont think it does.

I think it does.

> Im only 17 and ive spent $2000 on unis in not even a year!! :astonished: .

When I was your age I didn’t nearly have that kind of money.

> Yet im sure that there are older people who have bought nothign more
> than a $100 Torker. And vice versa of course.

I’m 27, spent only €12,- on a wrench.

> And another question. When you bought your first uni…I mean the
> first one you ever had, did you ever imagine that you would become
> so involved in the sport. I just bought my uni for fun…Now its aa
> important part of my life…I cant imagine myself not riding.

Definitely for fun, and as a replacement for my two-wheeler. I’ve been
unicycling for a month now, and all the short-distance cycling I do is
on my uni. Of course, my radius keeps getting larger and larger the
more I train :wink:

Sybren

The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don’t we just take the
safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Frank Zappa

Of course older people (i.e. adults with jobs) tend to have more money, but they have more responsibilities and outgoings and less inclination to spend all their money on unicycles. Younger people have less money, but tend to spend everything they have, and are also more likely to have the perception that they “need” Profile hubs, brakes, carbon seat bases, etc, etc. They are also more likely to do things that break equipment.

So I reckon younger people spend a considerably larger percentage of their money on unicycles than older people do (and I would guess that most of them spend more in absolute terms than the average older person as well), but there are probably enough older people with big collections to say that older people spend more overall.

Rob

I dont have a job yet and money is kinda hard to comeby and gather, so I got the best I could get with my 250 dollars.

As I get older, and get a job, and save up more, ill invest in other things, like a muni, as I already bought a coker, and ill start ugrading parts to better stuff once I break stuff.

As I get older, the amount I will spend on uni related item will increase.

Yes, obviously. But it is also obviously not the only thing that affects how much someone will spend on unicycles.

THe man who dies with the most toys wins.

Hey! I am 15 and i have a job and use my own money to buy unicycle hardware!

BEWARE: What you are about to read is a sweeping generalisation so dont get offended:

What i have noticed in the unicycling world is that there are lots of people with really sweet unis and average skills, and lots of people with average but adequate (sp?) unis and fantastic skills.

Often the older people (and also sometimes the rich kids) spend lots on their unis but arent that greater riders. These unis usually come in the form of cokers or munis with custom bits and expensive carbon fibre etc.

As a generalisation the best unicyclists are poor students in their late teens or early 20’s who dont have that much money to throw around. Their unicycles are often good, but dont have all the bells and wistles. They may be out of action for weeks if they break something bacause they cant afford a replacement. these are the psople who deserve to get sponsored.

I hope i didnt offend anyone!
Cheers,
Max

who pays for your food and house while you spend everything you earn on unicycles?

he’s never asked his parents to feed him and put a roof above him, if they dont they know they’ll be done with neglect and go to jail :).

but yes i’d have to agree, and this time of life is great no bills no paying for rent no food expenses.

You must have a good job and low rent!

I spent alot this year, don’t want to figure out how much! I almost have a complete functional collection from UWs and giraffes to what I might propose as the quintessential trio: my coker, muni and freestyle.

unicycles are important. I think a few things in life are necessary. Here are the fundamentals of Blakeism:

In each of our lifetimes we should:

• build at least one boat
  • fall in love with a beautiful place and return there again and again
  • learn at least one musical instrument (including voice and whistling)
  • find a sport to practice each season
  • never permanently part with tools, good books, and friends!