Do you ride with Active ankles?

Hi,

Just curious how many riders wear Active Ankles. No, I dont’ want people answering with answers like 340, or 37, 267.:stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a poll.

Work the maze.

I don’t know what you are talking about. Therefore, I guess I don’t use Active Ankles. Is that some kind of ankle armor, or support?

Lewis

Re: Do you ride with Active ankles?

> I don’t know what you are talking about. Therefore, I guess I don’t use
> Active Ankles. Is that some kind of ankle armor, or support?

I haven’t thought of using anything like that to date.

Arnold the Aardvark

> I don’t know what you are talking about. Therefore, I guess I don’t use
> Active Ankles. Is that some kind of ankle armor, or support?

I haven’t thought of using anything like that to date.

Arnold the Aardvark

I use Active Ankles, but only when practicing things that I know will cause
lots of falling. They aren’t very comfortable, but they sure do work.

David Maxfield
Bainbridge Island, WA

Active Ankles are ankle supports to minimize ankle injuries during UPDs. I recently did this and felt it might be a wise investment for Muni and err, uhhh, middle age.:wink:

Here is link to see what they look like.

http://unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=405

Work the maze.

RE: Do you ride with Active ankles?

Rod,

My son Casey and I both wear Active Ankles for MUni. I wear them when
working on skills like the kick-up mount, freemounting a giraffe, and
riding the ultimate wheel. All have caused painful ankle bruises.

Jack Hughes broke his ankle while hopping on boulders during the 2000
MUni Weekend in Lake Tahoe. The injury was ‘caught on tape’. Jack had
to dismount suddenly and jumped forward to a rocky ledge, but his foot
landed on an uneven surface. The videotape shows that he knew instantly
what happened, and said so. Many of us wondered if the Active Ankles
might have prevented the injury.

The only drawback to wearing Active Ankles: they’re uncomfortable when
walking.

-John

-----Original Message-----
From: rsu-admin@unicycling.org [mailto:rsu-admin@unicycling.org] On
Behalf Of The Munieer
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 2:26 AM
To: rsu@unicycling.org
Subject: Do you ride with Active ankles?

Hi,

Just curious how many riders wear Active Ankles.

Work the maze.

The Munieer - aka teachndad

Rod Wylie

The Munieer’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/736
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/18117

rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu

Re: RE: Do you ride with Active ankles?

Hmmm…just thinking…my sons’ soccer shin guards have separable ankle cushion or padding pieces. The pieces wouldn’t serve to prevent sprained or broken ankles by any means but would prohibit ankle bruises and definitely would be more comfortable for walking. Often, new kids in our club complain of hitting their ankle bones. I’ll have to try out the shin guard pieces and see if they help. Maybe this is what I get for thinking when I’m not used to it.

Bruce

“Quotes are too much extra work.” - Bruce

I should get a pair. I’m always destroying socks with my bloody ankles.

AccordNSX,

If your getting bloody ankles, the Active Ankles might not be for you. The ankle biters that Unicycle.com sells are more for protection on the ankles from hitting the cranks and spills. The Active Ankles give more support for UPDs to keep your ankle stable.

Just my thoughts.

Work the maze.

I wear ankle supports but not the Active Ankle ones. They are made by Mueller and are essentially the same thing. I have a real bad left ankle and know that it is only a matter of “when” and not an “if” I will need the braces. I do not find that they are uncomfortable at all. Yes they are a little constrictive, but they are braces after all. I have been wearing them lately to get used to them even though I am not yet ready for muni. I do not even notice them on. When I remove them I do feel like I had on a tight golve or maybe a ski boot. But that is normal and for me anyways, worth the prventitive factor afforded by them.

Just my opinion, Wayne.

Does the bottom platform of the Active Ankle go inside your shoe or outside?

–Mark

Maxfield D wrote:

> I use Active Ankles, but only when practicing things that I know will cause
> lots of falling. They aren’t very comfortable, but they sure do work.
>
> David Maxfield
> Bainbridge Island, WA

Mark Newbold
Montpelier, Vermont USA

Alternate email: manx@sover.net

Re: Re: Do you ride with Active ankles?

The bottom platform of the Active Ankles goes inside the shoe and under the insole. It makes it interesting to get the shoe on with the Active Ankle attached like that, but that’s the way they work.

john_childs

I know that I am a little behind in my response but here goes anyways. I just wear them over my socks, inside the shoe but not under the insole. I actually leave them in sometimes and remove the shoe and the brace all in one. No worries to speak of. The velcro sometimes tries to reatach itself but that is about it. If you think you need ankle support this is a great way to go. I have now been out on my first and second muni rides and love them. I don’t think that I have done anything that required the braces support yet but I feel great knowing that I have them on.

Good luck, Wayne.

i personaly feel that to much protection puts you to much in the
mindset of not getting hurt, which can bite you hard in the ass years
down the road when you reach the point where you want to be doing
things that are actualy dangerous. This has not yet happened in uni
yet, but im guarding against it.
I used to inline, and wore knee pads every single time i went out.
Just to give me confidence. problem was, knee pads dont give you much
confidencne when your standing at the edge of a 24 ft grass and rock
gap the 13 year old standing next to you just pulled a 360 over. go
big or go home. I ended up having to go home.

I wear my Active Ankles for most of my MUni rides, all of my Trials/Urban Freestyle and occasionally when I’m working on some regular freestyle skills that might result in ankle injury. Sometimes I even wear them when I’m performing.

I don’t usually notice I’m wearing them until I get to the 3 or 4 hour mark then they get kind of obnoxious. For more critical riding, I don’t go without them. I consider them a MUST wear item mainly because I have an investment in my body. If I get injured I would have to cancel performances, return deposits and figure out how I’m going to pay the bills.

Active ankles

While healing from a sprained ankle which happened last night, I have been reading Active ankles reviews and threads. I do not currently wear Active ankles, but I am considering getting some. Looking at my foot you could almost mistake it for elephantiasis due to the swelling. Ok it might not be that bad, but it is not much fun sitting at home waiting to get better. Dustin has given a positive review for Active ankles, and was not wearing them at the time he snapped his tibia and fibula. I was wondering if anyone has had knee strains or injuries while having over-supported ankles? Does anyone else share Maarten’s view that you should only wear active ankles after having ankle injuries? I am beginning to think that sturdy ankle-protecting boots would be the best way to prevent these types of mishaps, rather than cure them.

I sprained my ankle this spring on my first-ever Muni ride, and started riding with AAs soon after for uni and MTB. I wear them almost all the time since I have an idea how stupid I’ll feel if I wreck myself while they’re sitting in my basement. :roll_eyes:

I find them very comfortable; in fact I hardly notice them. Since there’s a hinge to let your ankle flex they really don’t interfere with normal movement (within a reasonable range), and they feel much more solid than my old lace-up braces or even a tape job.

I’ve had bad ankles for years, and have tried the old vinyl lace-up braces and even got pretty good at taping. The lace-up braces were only slightly more comfortable than a sprain, which is why they were sitting in my basement this spring. Taping takes forever and gets spendy if you ride often.

Good luck!

Tim

yup, no question, I have my AA sources all scoped out and for sure I’ll be wearing one on the broken ankle as soon as I get it out of the cast and the doc’s give me the go-ahead to ride again.:smiley:

Erin

I did the KH trials crank crunch on my left ankle bone in June…badly. In August, while it was still sore, I did a much worse rendition falling off of the car in Minneapolis during trials competition and I cut my ankle at the same time. Ever since the June incident, it has remained forever tender and any impact is excruciating. Those with KH trials unicycles know how often that impact can occur.

I just received my Active Ankles from unicycle.com a couple of days ago. I got them (rather, Karen got them for my birthday and, yes, it’s 51 and STILL no level 5) primarily for the armor protecting the ankle bone, not the support. Interesting, since I did slightly sprain both ankles at VIMW; one of them twice.