Do I need my brake for Moab?

I removed my brake few years ago. It isn’t needed much for most East Coast trails. Don’t want to put it on unless it’s going to be really useful.

How important is a brake at Moab? Did you ride without one last year? What was it like riding at Moab without a brake?

Joe

Re: Do I need my brake for Moab?

In article <merrill.1251ve@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
merrill <merrill@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)I removed my brake few years ago. It isn’t needed much for most East
)Coast trails. Don’t want to put it on unless it’s going to be really
)useful.
)
)How important is a brake at Moab? Did you ride without one last year?
)What was it like riding at Moab without a brake?

A brake is probably not necessary at Moab–at least not for Slickrock.
Slickrock is a lot of ups and downs, but they’re pretty much all short.
There are only a couple of places you’d get significant use out of a
brake. Nutcases who try to ride down absurdly steep lines might want
one for control, but if you’re just trying to stay on the main trail,
I’d say save the weight and complexity. (Lots of stuff breaks at Moab).
-Tom

Not to completely digress, but 2 things. Tom, how are you getting there, and if you could handle me (bevan) coming with, is it too late to sign up?

And for Merrill, if I can get to Moab, would you want to sell your brake? I’ve been looking for one, and I figure if I make it to moab, you could bring the brake And I’d bring the $$$. Email me @ onewheeler@mindspring.com .

Gerble, I’m going to hang onto the brake. Maybe I’ll make a Cali weekend some day and will need it, but thanks for the offer.

Joe

You don’t NEED a brake for Moab. If you stick to the trail on Slickrock you’ll be able to make it down pretty much all of the downs without a brake. However, if you have a brake you’ll be able to look for some steep stuff just off the main path of the trail to use the brake.

A brake is something that is vulnerable to being broken. Moab is not friendly to bike parts and unicycle parts. Kris Holm broke a brake lever last year at Moab because the lever managed to hit hit the ground after a UPD.

I’m debating whether to get my brake operational for Moab. I still don’t know if I’ll get the brake mounted or not.