Do I need another unicycle?

I currently have a 20" uni which I have learnt on over the last 6 months.

I can now freemount and uni confidently for 10 - 15 minutes before my legs
give way. If I can only put more weight on the seat rather than the pedals I
am sure I could do better. I have not really tried to idle yet and this is
my next challenge.

My question is about buying another uni though. I have no wish to off-road
or do any fancy tricks yet (although I hope to eventually) but feel that a
bigger-wheeled uni would help distance and stamina.

Could a bigger wheel be a good idea? If so, what size?

Are they more difficult to ride?

Should I be considering something else.

Alan

i would get very confident on a 20" you consider to buy more unis
then you can find out what you want to get into and buy a muni if you want to do off raod a coker for distance ect ect and after a while your stamina will get better

Re: Do I need another unicycle?

Alan,

A bigger wheel will certainly help with distance. I don’t think, however, that your level of stamina will be affected; that is determined, I believe, by your overall degree of fitness. My own skill level, for example, would allow me to ride without a dismount for much longer than my own level of stamina allows.

That being said, of course, a bigger wheel will get you further with whatever level of stamina you have, than a smaller wheel.

And generally speaking, once you can ride any unicycle, learning to ride a larger wheel does not require too much additional effort. You’ll have a bit of an adjustment, but for the most part this should only be anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. My own personal experience, again, was going from riding a 24" unicycle as my biggest to a 36" (Coker); took me about an hour to get comfortable. (Freemounting takes longer on a 36", but for a 24" to 29" shouldn’t be a tremendous problem).

As for your inability to keep your weight on the seat, this could be caused by one of two things. If it is inexperience, then simple practice is the answer. If your seat is too low, then you should raise it so that when the pedals are down at their lowest point your legs are almost fully extended. If your seatpost is too short for raising the seat to the recommended height, then you should look into getting a longer seat post for whatever unicycle you’re using.

Good luck,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

I recommend a Coker or a 29er from unicycle dot com, but try this first. Go to a juggling festival, a juggling club meeting, or a unicycle event and try out some other people’s toys. Most of us are more than happy to share, you will have a good time, and you will learn things that can’t be described with words.

As many people have said, the size of the uni depends on how tall your legs, and you yourself, are. I’m about 5’9" (168-170cm) tall and my legs are about 80cm (2’8") without shoes on. I have a 20" uni and a 24" MUni with a 24x3 Gazzaloddi which makes about the size of a 26". I think it’s about the best aiz for me while MUniing. I’ve never had any trouble with mounting it. If I remember right I even mounted it on the first try ever. I’d still like a 28" or 29" uni or maybe even a Coker for commuting longer distances but I don’t have the money for those right now. Try searching through some older threads with the search-button on top right corner.

As for the difficulties to ride I noticed that at start I had to lean a bit while riding. Now I don’t even notice the leaning anymore if I have to do it. It seems that you sense the different angles on street more easily with a bigger wheel.

I’d say that if you really want to ride longer distances go for atleast 26" in size. Preferably even bigger. Crank size matters also. When I buy a unicycle for commuting I’ll probably get 125mm cranks for it. This makes the pedalling a bit faster because the distance your feet travel is smaller.

edit. And remember. You can never have too many unis. I’ve ridden only three months and I own three unis at the moment. One of them I lend to my little sister and dad because they want to ride too. My mom doesn’t want to because shes afraid of breaking bones. At the moment the only accident I’ve had with my unicycle is cutting a little (10cm=4") cut on my left ankle but it didn’t even bleed much.

Hmm… Funny… Four posts at the same time (7:06)

Most of my riding is in parks or on the sidewalk and I’ve got a 24" uni with a 3" Fireball tire and 5" cranks. This works well for me.

Unicycling is very tiring when you are starting out. It takes a lot of energy to go a short distance. As you get better your effective stamina will improve. The only way to get better is to ride more. You could do this on your 20" but if you bought a slightly larger wheel you might be more keen to ride around town and improve quicker. A cheap 24" or 26" is a good ‘popping down the shops’ unicycle. The downside is that it might not be much use to you if you get into Muni or distance riding.

If you have a bit of spare cash then get one, you can NEVER have too many unicycles. If you are a studenty type then spend a bit more time on the 20" and try to borrow a few others to try them out.

HTH
Nick

What do you want to do with your unicycle?

Ride obstacles?
Just ride around?
How far?
How fast?
Where?
Do you want to go off road later?
Or do tricks when riding is no longer enough of a challenge?

Alan (not Rob),

It seems from your post you learn about as slowly as I do. A bigger
wheel is a good idea but a Coker may be too intimidating, especially
the freemounting. On the other hand, going from 20" to 24" is a
relatively small step and possibly not worthwhile. I would say, get a
26" or 28/29" uni. My personal experience is that with longish cranks
(say, 150 mm) the transition from 20" is easiest. Later you could put
the cranks on it that you have now on your 20". That will make the uni
faster and the distance rides more enjoyable. And that in turn will
lead to more practice hours, better riding technique and hence more
fun!

As to weight on seat: yes that is the key to make riding less tiring.
It may come by itself but it helps to make a conscious effort while
you ride to tread on the pedals just lightly.

Idling and other skills should best be practiced initially on the 20"
because it is more difficult on a larger wheel.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Grizzly bear droppings have bells in them and smell like pepper spray. - UniBrier

Do I need another unicycle?

Just reading the post title and none of above responses I say, YES! Regardless of your level, YES, you most certainly NEED another unicycle! WE all do!
Tommy

That’s what I tried to say but I forgot to write it clearly enough. And yes we all definitely need atleast one new unicycle.

yes

next stop

:slight_smile:

On the flip side, and merely to play devil’s advocate here, you might take as your role model (I was going to say exemplar, but thought someone might think it a superfluous use of a perfectly good word :slight_smile: ), Scott Kurland.

The above are words I would not normally write, but Scott is, last I heard, a one unicycle man. He rides a Coker. He is unusual in that he learned to unicycle on a Coker. He rides that single unicycle with purpose and does not feel the need for any others.

If you wanted, Alan, you could defy the norm and simply master the unicycle you have and learn all there is to do on it. I don’t think anyone would disagree that that would take a considerable amount of time.

Just a thought and one I myself have not taken to heart.

Cheers,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ