DM closing down

I just took a quick visit to DM Engineering to have a little look around and noticed that he is closing down. That’s unfortunate news. It may be old news in the UK, but it’s news to me over here.

DM made quality unicycles. His giraffes are top notch and so are his Ringmaster Advanced freestyle unicycles. DM was also the first to produce a splined hub. His DMATU unicycle was the start of an evolution. I have a DM Ringmaster Advanced freestyle unicycle and I love it to pieces. I also have a 26x3 DM Vortex which was quite the bomb back in the day. My Vortex is getting ignored now that I have a 24x3 KH Pro, but I still like that Vortex. A hardcore muni before the Profile hub was available.

Thanks Dave. I’m going to give my two DM’s some more love. So long and thanks for the fish.

Leo noticed a couple of weeks ago and posted about it here

No fair hiding that post about DM in a thread about UK bicycle repair shops. I never read that entire thread since I don’t have a great interest in UK bike repair.

Sigh. At least I managed to stumble on the news on my own. It is sad. I was thinking about getting a Ringmaster Advanced Custom eventually. I’ll have to nix that idea.

That’s a great pity. I never had a DM uni, and never intended to, but DM made custom bespoke unicycles of high quality, and many unicyclists aspired to own one one day. Alan (Arnold the aardvark) who used to post here had a DM ATU, and a stacked two-wheeler from DM - lovely bits of kit. Street entertainers and circus performers valued the robustness of the DM frame.

Is this another case of British industry, making a good solid product, but failing to move with the times? In a world of lightweight products (lightweight literally and metaphorically) DM made heavyweight stuff.

Re: DM closing down

Mikefule wrote:
> Is this another case of British industry, making a good solid product,
> but failing to move with the times? In a world of lightweight products
> (lightweight literally and metaphorically) DM made heavyweight stuff.

I think it’s more likely that Dave just decided it was time to retire.
He’s getting on a bit, you know.

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

I guess that means DM unicycles will become even more desirable.

I still remember the joy of riding my first DM. So smooth! They really are something special. I now feel inspired to restore my DM to its former glory (I’ll need to track down my old wheelset for it).

“john_childs” <john_childs@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote
in message
news:john_childs.1npc69@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> I just took a quick visit to ‘DM Engineering’
> (http://www.unicycle.co.uk/) to have a little look around and noticed
> that he is ‘closing down’ (http://tinyurl.com/ccrfu). That’s
> unfortunate news. It may be old news in the UK, but it’s news to me
> over here.
>
What a shame, I shall treasure my DM 5 foot giraffe all the more now,
although I have still to pluck up the courage to get on it and ride. But
I do ride the 20 Ringmaster.

Nao

Here’s a chance for a last look at the DM web site. His main page doesn’t link into his site anymore, but I had a bookmark that does.

DM Engineering Directory

For those interested, take a look at his three research programs that he has for download. DM had some custom pedals with sensors in them that could measure the amount of force on the pedals. He did several experiments with the instrumented pedals and the three programs give graphs of the results. Interesting stuff. One experiment had a rider do a 1 meter drop. The force on the pedals was measured to be 4 times the riders weight.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, gkmac wrote:

> Question is, will anyone ever make a (twin-chained) giraffe to match
> his?

Not a chance.

It is, indeed, very sad news - the text on the site suggests that the
influx of cheap import unicycles had something to do with it, along with
DM’s age.

Luckily (for me), the giraffe I was trying to sell recently was snapped up
when the news got out. I’m glad it went to a good home for a good price
(for both parties).

There’s no way the ringmaster pro or ultimate wheel are leaving me now.
Both top quality sturdy kit. Sure they might be a bit heavier than others,
but are completely* unbendable.

Oh… and I think** Alan (Aardvark) has another DM in his collection now.

Cheers,

Stu

• ie. I haven’t bent either of them yet.
    ** know, in fact. because I sold it to him.