diy pedals pins on frame crown.

i’ve been thinking of putting pedal pins on my frame shoulder ever since i saw the original kris holm frames years ago, with their extra bit of weld along the crown.

now having been reminded that this might actualy be a good idea after seeing semperunis lovely new trials frames,

i’ve been tempted to put pins on my freestyle unicycle its go a sem xl frame which while pretty big up to is also rather slipery when trying to standup wheelwalk.

however after searching friends toolboxes for a while,and looking at every hardware shop i see, i have been unable to find someplace to get a tap of the apropriate size.
so i’m trying to find on online,

also i dont havea micrometer handy so i cant accuratly mesure the pins (well hex grubscrews if you want to be fussy)

so could one of you clever people out there tell me what size the standard size is for these pins?
i’ve gota set of replacement dmr pins which seem to fit all the other pedals i’ve got. so i’m assuming that one size fits all.

thanks.

A simple soultion is to use skateboard grip tape the self adhesive sandpaper stuff, you can buy it at skate shops or at hardware stores as stair tred grip strips, it works great! Dan

You could always just go out and buy new set screws for a size of tap you can also find. also, when I go out to get new screws, I take one with me and see if they have any way to measure set up at the given store. I want to say the ones I got were labeled m3’s, whatever that means.

I’ve had trouble with the skateboard stuff it just disintegrates too easily. I have had success with grippy paint for floors and the like. It grips nicely, doesn’t rip apart, and won’t rip your legs to shreds. Available at the local hardware store.

DMR Terrorpins in an old-style Pashley fork.
Drill
Tap
Loctite

Leo White

dsc00934.jpg

I used a set of metric taps but I can’t remember what size I finally used (4mm?)- but they screwed in rather loosely (hence the loctite).

Leo White

I presume turning a bit of the frame into a cheese grater doesn’t adversely affect the strength very much…?

Phil

Re: diy pedals pins on frame crown.

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:34:17 -0600, Max_Dingemans
<Max_Dingemans@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>the ones I got were labeled m3’s, whatever that means.

The M stands for Metric, the 3 is the size in millimeters (outside
diameter of the thread). The M range of threads has prescribed thread
height and ‘distance’ (how do you call that?) and it is the common
standard in Europe and probably other places.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

I have a feeling you might need two points of contact with the ground for such a thing to work? Or at least training wheels on the front and rear. - John Foss commenting on a picture of a one-wheeled vehicle he saw on RSU.

I think DMR are 3mm outer diameter, weeny 2.5 or 2mm allen key inside.

If you can’t find the right taps, could you drill a hole just big enough to fit the pin in then fill it in with something around the threads to keep them stuck in?

Joe

so i need an M3 tap then?

i’m not realy worried about the strength of the frame being affected by this modification. it seems to me that the flat of the crown isn’t realy taking that much stress anyway. and i’m only going to put three pins in on each side.