Distance riding

For a while now I’ve been thinking about doing a big ride in Wisconsin, maybe 3-4 days of riding and camping out over spring break. I’ve never done a very long ride before, but I think I’d be able to do it. Today, I rode about 7.5 miles in an hour and 15 minutes, without getting tired or sore in the legs. My crotch got a little numb, but didn’t bother me too much. I’m riding a 24 inch Schwinn with a KH seat. How is the KH seat for long distance riding? Should I make an airseat for my trip? My plan is to do about 8-10 hours total of riding a day. I calculated that I averaged 5.9 miles/hour on my ride today, so hopefully I’ll be able to cover at least 40 miles a day. Any suggestions, advice for my big ride which I plan on taking in 2 weeks?

If possible, get a bigger wheel. You’ll appreciate it.

The KH seat is very comfortable. The general consensus is that air seats are more comfortable, but my crotch finds them about equal. All crotches are not created equal though, and seat choice is a very personal thing.

The most important thing to do to prepare for such a ride is training. Try 8 hours of riding in one day if you can. Also try several hours of riding on at least two consecutive days. This will give you an idea where you need help (equipment or conditioning) before the ride is upon you.

Re: Distance riding

This is a job for UniCalc :smiley:

:smiley: JohnFoss provides someone a new signature line. Who will it be? --chirokid–