DisneyWorld and unicycles

My family is heading down to Disneyworld next week and I’m planning to bring my 20" Schwinn. I probably wont have much time for riding, but thought I’d throw out the question: What kind of riding has anyone done in or around Disney?

Thanks,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Re: DisneyWorld and unicycles

Just tell them it’s a one-wheeled wheelchair :wink:

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:34:48 -0600, JJuggle
<JJuggle.h9bdb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>My family is heading down to Disneyworld next week and I’m planning to
>bring my 20" Schwinn. I probably wont have much time for riding, but
>thought I’d throw out the question: What kind of riding has anyone done
>in or around Disney?
>
>Thanks,
>Raphael Lasar
>Matawan, NJ
>–
>JJuggle - Azoi gayt es.

Re: DisneyWorld and unicycles

----- Original Message -----
> My family is heading down to Disneyworld next week and I’m planning to
> bring my 20" Schwinn. I probably wont have much time for riding, but
> thought I’d throw out the question: What kind of riding has anyone done
> in or around Disney?
>

My daughter and I rode around (outdoors) at the Disney resort complex when
we were there. It was great. We got a lot of fun comments, mostly from the
employees, who probably don’t see many unicyclists.

We asked first if it was ok to ride around their facilities. (I didn’t want
Mickey Mouse chasing us and swatting at us with a big broom.)

I have pictures of us at the resort but not the know-how to get them posted.

Have a great time!

Carol
Minnesota

Re: DisneyWorld and unicycles?

I suppose this means you’ve come to grips with the hole “Illusion of Innocence” thang? :stuck_out_tongue: I’m not so sure yet myself; remembering child-hood memoryies -vs- Made in China -vs Sophie and I would have a blast. I’m thankfull to have the luxery of such dellemas…

-Christopher

Re: Re: DisneyWorld and unicycles?

Chris, as I’m sure you know, I’m a long way from that. I hesitated to make this post, as I suspected that someone (well, you actually) would bring this up. But in the end I decided that while I may be preachy, I can at least not be dishonest. Yes I am personally far from living up to the standards I see as being ideal.

I will agree with you though that it certainly is a luxury to have such dilemmas.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Geez Chris, what are you trying to do, give the man a complex?

Heh.

Lewis

Re: Re: Re: DisneyWorld and unicycles?

Rest assured that your Monkey is consistant and predictable. :slight_smile:

[b]

[/b]

I’v never know you to be dishonest- eeriely pragmatic in maters philosophical- but not dishonest!

Sad is be to the man who has achieved all his ideals- he has nothing to strive for. I dig your spirit, Raphael- I like to rib ya, too. Lewis discovered that these weren’t mutualy exclusive- otherwise he would have smashed me long ago.

Be sure to send pictures of yourself with mouse-eared park police in hot persuit!

-Christopher

I say go for it. I live 2.5 hours from Disney, and think that it’d be a cool place to ride around. I don’t think they’ll harass you that much. Or just ride in the middle of a parade if there are any going on at the time.

The deed is done.

Well, we have returned from our Florida visit. It’s a good thing we brought our winter coats, because, sad to say, we needed them. A couple of afternoons it hit or came close to 70, but that was about it. In fact, it was warmer here in NJ on Sunday night when we got back home that it was on Friday morning in Orlando. I believe my Karma is bad these days, but that’s another story.

Despite the cold we had a wonderful time.

As for the unicycling, I did not expect and did not try to get the beast into any of the actual theme parks. But we stayed at the Coronado Springs resort which is a cluster of faux-Southwestern (US)/Northern Mexico buildings surrounding a 15 acre (I think) (man-made) lake. I had a chance Wednesday night to ride around it (it was probably in the upper 40s at that point) and rode around quite a bit in the mornings before heading off to the parks and in the evenings after returning.

Interestingly, it was easier on my feet than walking. After a day walking many miles at the parks the feet do take a beating.

The reception to a unicyclist was uniformly and unanimously warm. The other guests were quite amused. Some, including a group of teenage girls who ran to get their camera and take a picture, assumed that I worked there, despite my rather shabby, unkempt appearance.

The staff at the hotel were also amused by my unicycling, particularly when I rode over to the laundry with the dirty clothes over my shoulder. The folks who drove the shuttles that take guests to their rooms (some quite distant from check-in) waved and who knows what they told their passengers.

The riding itself was not particularly challenging; but pretty much in keeping with my skills. Mostly flat with a few ramps here and there to zip over. Mostly I rode straight on or practiced riding backwards and hopping.

All in all it was lots of fun and nice to be able to say I’ve unicycled at Disney.

Cheers,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Re: The deed is done.

Cold?!?!? Now, as a Canadian having spent much time in Georgia, I have at least one reference point for what I wear at what temperatures (in °F). Anything above 60­° is easily “shorts and t-shirt weather”. I mean, that’s 16°C!

Now this is something I could see needing a little more clothing. It’s around 8-9°C and would probably need a pair of long pants and a maybe light jacket.

Either way, sorry for the digression – I’m glad you had a good time in the land of Mickey Mouse. I fondly remember my times (from Grade 5 – 1992) of Magic Kingdom and Busch Gardens… damn a unicycle would be cool there!

Later,
Eli.