DIRTRAG magazine and Unicycling

http://www.dirtragmag.com/webrag/one-can-be-wonderful

Greetings fellow unicyclists,

As many of you know, mainstream cycling publications aren’t really interested in counting unicycling as a subset of cycling. I’m sure there are a lot of reasons why, but probably the primary one is economic. In comparison to bicyclists, there aren’t a whole lot of unicyclists in the world.

DIRTRAG has been one of the very few “mainstream” cycling publications to run articles on unicycling. The first I can recall was by Gregg Vivolo. The second one I know of was the Panama tour by Roland, Steve, Perry, Vince, and Brad. It was great to see both articles in print as non-circus related exposure is always good (in my opinion).

Unfortunately, print is expensive. However, webspace is cheap.

Since DIRTRAG is based out of Pittsburgh (less than an hour away), and I’ve had the opportunity to hang out with the staff at many events and races over the years, I’ve had the opportunity to preach the fun of one many times. They’re part of the local MTB race series http://www.monthofmud.org, at which we had up to 5 unicyclists at some events last fall.

The short story: after seeing us ride (and my endless flapping about how much fun it is), they agreed to put some web content up regarding unicycling. If it goes well and they some good feedback, they’re open to running more articles on unicycling.

So here is what you can do to further the cause: spread the word, read the article, leave some feedback. There’s even a quick link to facebook it on their site.

I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m trying to brag. We (the Butler Wobble) have found that unicycling has a much broader appeal than what most people think. Since February of 2009 we’ve had probably a couple of dozen people learn to ride with us. Some have moved on to Muni and trials, while others are content to ride around the gym. We’ve had riders learn as young as 7, and as old as 60 (actually, we’ve had several near that mark).

I hope you can agree that with unicycling- the more the merrier!

Thanks for your help,

Good work! Getting some press in the outer world is a great thing!

Sorry. After rereading I forgot to say to leave feedback on DIRTRAG’s comment section.

I just realized it could have been misinterpreted to be just here. This forum’s good, but we’re already unicyclists.

Can you put up a direct link to the article?

Dave, nice piece!
Looks like I may have had lucky timing to help you with a recent email exchange I had with Adam at DirtRag:

=============
To: adam@dirtragmag.com
Date: 1/18/2011 05:05 PM
Subject: Question about the web site

Hi Adam:
I am a mountain unicyclist, and recently came across the write-up “The Ride of Your Life” from issue #136, July 15, 2008. Just got lucky in a waiting room, to catch this great article! Anyhow, I’m interested in putting a link to the article up on the Unicyclist forums for others to see (check out http://www.unicyclist.com/). However, I can’t seem to find this story on your web site. If you send me a link to the story, I promise to get a bunch of people to check out your web site. :slight_smile:

I also note that my search for the term “unicycle” has failed to turn up any more stories since 2008. Although I’m only 2 years into this myself, I know the sport and equipment have come a long way since 2008. If you’d be interested in doing a new story, I could help put you in contact with others from the forums that have great experience and who I’m sure would be happy to contribute.

Cheers.
-James

==============
To: James xxxxxxxx
Date: 1/24/2011 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: Question about the web site
Hi James,
Glad you like the piece! Yeah, the bad news is that not every article from print makes it on to the web site. We try to keep some things back as an added bonus for readers. Can’t give all of it away!
And yeah, I apologize about the search. I’ll admit it’s pretty lousy. It’s at the top of my agenda for 2011.
But keep reading, we plan on featuring more unicycle content soon!
Thanks,
Adam
Online Editor

Me too. Just went back.