Difficuties getting back on the 24'' after riding larger wheels

I am sorry for the confusion. I wanted to keep the previous post short and forgot to go into the details.

Personally, I am using the ratio between the crank length and the wheel radius. You can also find on the forum a huge table created by @saskatchewanian with another formula.

The concept behind the calculation is to put a number behind a setup you like in order to quickly have an idea how to get close to that with another wheelset. As you ride your 36 mostly with 150mm cranks, this was the point of reference I took to calculate that your 24 being 2/3 of a 36, the same ratio for cranks would be 100mm (but that short of cranks require getting used to otherwise the knees will complain big time).

Anyway, give it a try with the other position on you existing cranks and see if it helps you jumping from one to the other with less wobble :stuck_out_tongue:

if ridden on good flat roads or paths a 24 with a smoothish tire would be very ridable with 100mm cranks without much risk of knee damage. I think that only really happens when riding really hard up hills and on rough terrain etc.

The formula I used was wheel size in inches x 25.4 / 2 to get radius in mm, then divided by crank length.

There is a whole thread about it here:New concept: Total Gear Ratio

1 Like

That’s the reason for riding long cranks: Around here there are very few flat roads. Often my only options are uphill, downhill or rough terrain.

The second hole turned out to be exactly 125mm. So I gave it a try and it worked! Thanks for the tipp @Siddhartha_Valmont!

1 Like