Difficulty is all relative

I was UW’ing in the parking lot of a trail head yesterday, waiting to see if anyone else was gonna show up for the ride.

While I was practicing, there was an older couple who came up behind me, and were baffled. They never said anything to me, but I heard the lady grab the guys attention, and some noises of amazement soon came.

They then went into the trail on their walk, while i waited for a few more minutes. No one showed, so I headed in, on the MUni.

I passed them soon enough, luckily, in a semi technical section (the best place to pass people!)

The comment from this older (60+?) couple who just got passed by a unicyclist in the woods was:
‘Well, that looks a lot easier, eh?’

Side note: Because I was by myself, I decided to see how fast I could ride the 20km loop. I did it in one hour thirty six, MUni/160’s

Unicycling seems to be all about relativity.

Where I’m from, people seem to think I’m pretty good, or at least that’s what they say. Then, after going to Moab, suddenly I feel like a beginner groupie-cyclist who took up the sport to try and be cool. (not that it isn’t. . .)

I guess maybe I shouldn’t compare myself to these guys who are the best of the best, but when you look like a wimp who can barely ride. . . :roll_eyes:

<goes off to try and rebuild self-confidence>

-jD

Yeah, everyone around here says that we’re really good. But compared to people who are good, we suck bad.

This is the nice thing about (us) being so rare. As long as you can ride at all, most people will think you’re great! And now that I can hop and drop and idle and go backward and one-foot and suicide mount, people are even more impressed, and after Moab I’m more motivated than ever to get better :sunglasses:

Re: Difficulty is all relative

JonnyD wrote:
> Where I’m from, people seem to think I’m pretty good, or at least
> that’s what they say. Then, after going to Moab, suddenly I feel
> like a beginner groupie-cyclist who took up the sport to try and be
> cool. (not that it isn’t. . .)

Ho yes. In the days when I was properly fit, after riding in a few
races at UK juggling conventions I got the impression I was one of the
fastest people around on one wheel. Then I went to a Unicon and met the
likes of John Foss and discovered I wasn’t even close :frowning:

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Why I like OE6 - http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/misc/oe6.html
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine