different/easy ways of mounting a 36"

I’m uncertain what a running mount is as opposed to a rolling mount?
while I’m asking questions a jump mount is jumping with both feet at the same time? It sounds suicidal. Is the jump mount aka the suicide mount?

I’ve seen Terry’s video and unimayra’s video of static mounts but I have had trouble finding videos of other mounts. I did find a website with dozens of skill videos listed but was unable to view them .

This thread is not only informative but reassuring. I ride my 36er quite comfortably now but free mounting is hit and miss. It makes me feel a little better knowing I’m not the only one with mounting difficulties

Running is exactly that, rolling is just not static, so at a walk.

Suicide is jump mount with NO hands.

Search YouTube for “unicycle mounts” there are lots just not many 36" specific.

This video demonstrates most of the mounts being discussed in this thread:

The jump mount, aka suicide mount (as you mention :)) is the first mount in this video:

Not a 36er, I know…

Lastly, check out the mount at the start of this video for a running version of the rolling mount: Hitting Jumps on a Huge Unicycle! on Vimeo

I’m having trouble figuring out how to break that last running mount down into usable steps though. He seems to step up to the high pedal first :thinking:

Interesting, I didn’t realise there was this distinction.

I’m having trouble figuring out how to break that last running mount down into usable steps though. He seems to step up to the high pedal first :thinking:
[/QUOTE]

I agree it is unclear. Would like to know?

Here’s a video of another egg mount. I stole the egg idea from Terry, but the egg is used a little bit different.

I can’t idle at all, even on a smaller wheel! And I’d imagine it’s even harder when you start talking about the short cranklengths you run on the 36er (So… is it worth going longer cranks just for idling at the cost of speed? Maybe not…)

My work commute is fairly basic, I just carry a drawstring gymbag with a D-Lock, a few spares/tools and maybe a camelbak bladder if its hot outside (My commute’s only 4.5 miles so it’s not like I need water urgently), so I’m not too worried about having an expensive laptop bounce around when I hop! :smiley:

I can hop on the spot for quite a while, but like you, setting off from the hop is what throws me off. I usually end up pedalling too hard, making the wheel flick forward and me flick backwards :astonished:

When I did running mounts on my 29er, there wasn’t really much skill/technique involved. I just ran and jumped and hoped I landed correctly. Judging by how he ended up on the high pedal first I’m going to guess he did the same, because I think you’re supposed to land back-foot first :smiley:

Hey PM, how do you lock up? I just started commuting. Luckily we have a bike room with limited access. I still lock the wheel though. Do you lock up outside?

I haven’t tried any other kinds of mounts aside from the static one. I am almost 100% on my 36er so maybe I’m ready to try something new.

Question is - how do you ensure the pedals are set correctly when you roll-mount the thing? Before I jump on I always have to set the pedals flat.

When you first start it’s probably a good idea to make sure they’re flat. After I got used to it, I just kick the pedal into place if it’s off as I’m mounting up. It sounds hard, but like everything else, it’s pretty natural/easy with practice. If I’m tired, sometimes I’ll flick the pedal with my hand just to be sure I don’t miss the mount.

2 options:

1. you set it up and make sure the pedal is right (i.e. near parallel or a little tilted back), or
  2. you don’t and hope that your foot kicks it into place as you mount.

I do both, although as I said above my rolling mount is kind of hit-and-miss.

Today I did the #2 option above after dismounting at street crossing 2 times successfully, then at the next one I tried unsuccessfully like 5 times and then had to slow down and set it up like #1.

Interestingly I have never had a problem with the pedal position doing #2. I think because your foot comes from an angle from the back you usually clip the leading (top) edge of the pedal and it rotates into place as your foot lands on it. As was said above, I think the main worry is missing the pedal altogether (which I’ve thankfully never done).

Oh, and yes, I usually have to set my pedals before doing a jump mount, although I imagine if you’re good you don’t really have to.

Compared to the static mount, with the rolling mount you can actually put quite a bit of weight on the pedal and it just “shoots” you up, as the 36er in motion has quite a bit of momentum. The first time I did it, it was a strange but cool feeling like being catapulted up.

The challenging part of the rolling mount is deciding when to start, as unlike other mounts it’s not when the pedal is at a particular place, but is rather dependent on how fast you walk/run and push the uni… I seem to get it down walking slowing, and then I speed up and try to mount when the pedal is at the same spot, but as it’s faster it’s too late… I think it’ll become almost instinct with practice, and you just kind of “feel” when it’s the right time.

Although my mounting today was pretty good, I had a somewhat scary crash: I cross a major 2x2-lane divided street adjacent to a park where there are lots of trees and an embankment so I can’t see so well. I usually just dismount at the last second unless I just happen to be lucky and can keep riding, but today I saw that there were cars coming as I approached but wanted to try and make it without dismounting… I came up, balanced next to a tree and waited for a few cars and saw that there was a gap in traffic and started off. It is grass/gravel downhill to the side with some small rocks and then a curb and I was looking further ahead and across at the traffic on the next crossing to see if I could keep going and – wham! - i fell just before the curb and sprawled out into the street. I jumped up and grabbed the uni and ran back and still had a plenty of time, a few seconds I guess, before the pack of cars already underway from the light about a half mile away reached where I was, but it was still a strange/bad feeling as I was falling and looked to my left and could see cars going >60km/h (40mph) approaching me and envisioned not being able to get up or something. The crash itself wasn’t bad and I had on my wrist guards and I think I rather choose to slide on my hands to make it faster to get up and ensure I didn’t hit hard. I think having on the wrist guards + gloves + kneepads + helmet really helped me concentrate on “falling” to get up easily, so that was good.

While I was posting. Yeah, that’s exactly what I was meaning too.

Loved it!

I started practicing my rolling mount after seeing a video of Bouin-Bouin doing it. I was able to study the video frame by frame to understand how it was done, and how to make sure you get the pedals in the right spot when you’re about to jump.

I’m a right foot fronter. Which means I do the static mount with my left foot on the rear pedal, so that my right foot gets on the pedal in front, where I’m most confortable, before riding off. So I figured it would be the same for the rolling mount.
After a lot of practice, I found the best starting point. And curiously, it works with any wheel size. I put the left pedal up, and I stand behind the uni. Then I start walking, but not how I would normally do: I take the first step with my left foot, and I do 2 steps before jumping. That way, when I’m about to jump on the rear pedal, the cranks are in the perfect landing position. It works all the time.

Yep, D-lock through the wheel/around the frame and round the U-rack thingy. Sadly it’s outside, I’m considering getting a rain cover! :astonished:

Now that I feel way more secure on the uni, I started taking it when buying groceries. Then I just use a cable lock to tie it to a lamp post or the bicycle racks. I just don’t like that the saddle can’t stay upright.
It is too much hassle to take the uni into the store with me, which would actually be a nice sight, riding behind a trolley :slight_smile:

If you put a thick rubber band wrapping the brake lever and saddle handle together it will stay up straight.

I got inspired by you to make a rolling mount tutorial. I posted it in the tutorial section: Tutorial on how to do a rolling mount on a 36" unicycle

You know, that with holding your hand over the pedal doesn’t work for me. When I mount I look a head, not down.
It also seems a loss of speed if the uni stands still at the moment you step on. So the only difference between the rolling mount and static mount is the speed with which you yourself get on the uni. It would be nice to keep the wheel rolling while finding your way on top, just like with a b#ke.

Hmm. You say this can be performed uphill? One of my major weaknesses I find when commuting is my uphill mounts. There’s a section of my route where I have to dismount because of stupid anti-bike… I mean, ‘anti-motorbike’ fencing on the bike path, and right after the fencing is a fairly steep uphill. I usually walk up this, otherwise I spend longer just standing there trying to mount on the uphill.

Now I have two things I need to get learning. trackstand-hopping, and uphill rolling mounts (and rolling mounts in general) :smiley:

I’m sure I would fall flat on my face if I didn’t look at the pedals. The “hand over pedal” from my first mounting tutorial is just a trick that has helped me.

The main purpose of this mount is to get your body moving, because you can jump higher when you move than when you stand still. Your body must travel farther than the uni, so it is natural that it halts while waiting for your body to make it over the center of gravity.

Yes, if it’s not too steep. You can do it perpendicular to the hill if it is room. I did this (or tried to) a lot before I learned to bunny hop on the big wheel. Now I usually do a static mount down hill and hop to the right starting position.