did you ever deside to ride on the side?

>

I did that last night, however it was about 3 seconds before I landed in a heap on my neighbour’s lawn with all the neighbourhood children staring at me. Needless to say it was not on purpose!

Krissy

it helps to do what Bob Marley said

"Bend Down Low

Re: did you ever deside to ride on the side?

Do you mount into the side ride, or do you transition into it from
normal riding? I think (but might be wrong) that the latter was
excluded from the 10 levels description because at the time it was
considered to be ‘impossible’.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Different drummer? I’m my own band!

Re: Re: did you ever deside to ride on the side?

i transition to it from riding fairly easily.i shove the seat backwards with my right hand,then grab it with my left and bring it around tight against my hip.

you can do really tight circles like that too.this is the only time my 110mm BE cranks ever touch the ground…i can also transfer from the left to the right side and start spinning the other direction with about 65% success.

Re: Re: Re: did you ever deside to ride on the side?

Wow, that’s specific… :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re thinking side ride which is a level 10 skill. Jagur is demonstrating seat on side which is a level 5 skill. Side ride is much harder and you have to be able to transition into and out of it to pass the level.

Tom (Mr. IUnicycle) made me learn how to ride seat on side on my weak side. He’s such a slave driver. I was happy being able to do that skill on my strong side (my right side) but Tom came along and was doing it on both sides. I couldn’t let him one up me that easily.

it’s a realy unnatural feeling isn’t it? and its realy hard on a trials uni.

i find the transion fairly easy too from seat in back to seat on side, but i just can’t get frame seat on side to crank idle,

so i gave up and now i use a diferent transition to crank idle:
althouth i dont know the name of the intermediate step,
i take my foot around the seat to the front then drop the unicycle onto its side so its like i’m about to do a kick up but i’m standing on the side of the wheel and have my dominant foot on the pedal. i can then kick up into crank idle, and then transition out into normal idling.

can somebody describe “side ride” for me please? i’ve always wondered what exactly it was. i hope its annother badly clasified trick like a unispin which just shouldn’t be a level ten skill its far too easy to have in the same classification as coasting.

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 22:32:36 -0500, john_childs
<john_childs.ooqx0@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>You’re thinking side ride which is a level 10 skill.
Yes that was my mistake.

>you have to be able to transition into and out of it to pass
>the level.
Not so according to <http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/>. They make
an exception specifically for this skill.

Different drummer? I’m my own band!

Then the USA skill levles are more strict in that regard than the IUF skill levels. Here is a quote from USA skill levels

Side ride is where your riding with your entire body on one side of the unicycle, not sitting on the seat, with your left foot on your right pedal, or your right foot on your left pedal. The free foot is just hanging out, I guess providing some balance, but not touching the unicycle.

Here is a screenshot of Kris doing a side ride. The screenshot is from the video Unizaba. The shot is at night, Kris is going around in a circle and the camera is spinning in the center of the circle to keep Kris in the shot. That explains the poor lighting and the blurry motion induced picture. Hopefully the picture is clear enough to show you what a side ride looks like.

unizabasideride.jpg

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 16:25:23 -0500, evilewan
<evilewan.oq4on@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>can somebody describe “side ride” for me please?

There is a short video of Sem Abrahams doing a side ride on
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/sem_teresa.htm>.

Don’t take life so seriously… it’s not permanent.

now i understand…

that the dificult part is having to support your entire weight on your hands for half a revolution ofthe wheel, and stay in ballance.

not as easy as a unispin then,
i’ll give it a go tomorow.
just to see how impossible it is.

i can only just sideways ww for a few feet on a good day but it seems to me that it’d be more or less on a par.

and what is the transition back to riding?

Unispin? Is that when you hop off the uni and let it spin under you or something?

yes.

i reccon its only about as hard as hopping on the wheel with transitions in and out. no way should it be level 10, i’d say level 6 at the most.

I have no idea. I’ve seen Dustin Kelm transition into and out of the side ride on his giraffe and I’ve seen Irene Genelin transition into and out of side ride on her standard unicycle. But it goes so quick that I don’t know what they are doing. You could email Dustin <http://dustin.kelm.com/&gt; and see if he can offer any tips.