Derby/Nottingham/East Midlands UK

Just a quick message to see if there are any unicyclists in the derby/nottingham/East Midlands area who fancy getting together. There are probably 6 of us at the Derby Juggling club who have been playing hockey on the club night and regularly going out for Muni trips and we were wondering specifically about organising a pitch for either regular or one off hockey session with enough people for full teams and I’m just trying to see if theres any interest for anybody out there to see if its worth pursuing - If theres enough interest then we can start to think about dates/nights. Also if anyone fancies a muni trip out in the local area then shout -so anyone who’s up for any kind of unicycling reply to the thred and try and indicate what nights would be good for.

Looking forward to an enthusiastic response as am itching to a) get a proper game of hockey going and b) get some more muni trips in. Hopefully I’ll be reading lots of responses soon

Cheers

Roland

If you organise a 1 day or 1/2 day hockey tournament then people will come from all over. Go for it!

Check on the calender at UDC uk to make sure it doesn’t clash.

Organising a tournament would be the ultimate aim - however at the moment we’d just like to have at least one game on a full sized pitch with full sized teams, but yes a tournament would be definitely something that we’d like to do in the not too distant future.

I’m in Beeston (west of Nottingham towards Derby).

I’d definately be up for a one off game of hockey, judging from my ability to get to London hockey I’m a bit too disorganised to count on as a regular person to play hockey every week.

I’m well up for muni riding and 29er/coker riding too. I’m alright at riding muni and pretty fast on the 29er now.

Incidentally, if any of you have 29ers or cokers, I and one or two others are going for a bit of a 29er ride this Sunday, starting and ending from Beeston station @ 10.30 am. Beeston has direct trains to/from Derby (the slow trains to Nottingham stop there). I’m off email for the weekend, so if you decide to come and are going to be late, then phone my mobile 07905 696427.

Joe

I have played the odd bit of Unicycle hockey at juggling conventions and would be interested in playing a full game.
I live near Derby and work in notts so sound ideal.
Quite interested in getting out my 29er too, but can’t do it this weekend.

Where is this juggling club and can anyone come?

I’m in Nottingham, at uni there, so would definately be up for either Hockey or Muni rides. There should be a few more people in the university club who’d be interested in Hockey too. Am I right in thinking you’ve already contacted the Nottingham Jugglers about this? If not this is their website.

Cheers,

John

Hi Roland,

I am in Nottingham as well. I’m very interested in playing hockey, but am less keen on muni. I’ve only got a 20" wheel anyway…

I’ve been planning to come to derby most of the summer but have somehow not made it yet.

I reckon I could persuade someone else from the university club to come (in addition to John who just posted) and I can think of two people at the Nottingham Jugglers who would be interested.

Cheers,

Roger

I’m in Nottingham too. Can get to Derby easily enough, other commitments permitting. (Haven’t even sat on a unicycle for about 3 weeks, possibly longer. :0( )

Hi Roland,

I am in Nottingham as well. I’m very interested in playing hockey, but am less keen on muni. I’ve only got a 20" wheel anyway…

I’ve been planning to come to derby most of the summer but have somehow not made it yet.

I reckon I could persuade someone else from the university club to come (in addition to John who just posted) and I can think of two people at the Nottingham Jugglers who would be interested.

Cheers,

Roger

We are in the middle of organising 2 hockey tournaments in Richmond and Stockton. Although it is a 1.5 hour drive North of Nottingham it should be worth it. Both Richmond and Stockton have large halls and good teams.

Don’t forget about the Kidderminster Unimeets. They now have an extra hall, so it is setup for spending more time on a hockey trournment and will use the whole big hall. That should be good… and they are always good days.

Check out the calendar for details:
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/calendar.asp

When you have dates for Muni days or Hockey do get back to me and I will add it to the calendar.

Roger (the other one).

I live in the Nottingham area and I’m definitely up for Muni rides, if I’m not busy with boring stuff that is. I have been known to play unicycle hockey but I don’t enjoy it, I don’t enjoy any kind of hockey come to think of it.

You may be quicker than most of us on a unicycle Roger but there are speed limits and traffic on roads :wink: I’d say 2.5 hours more like.

Cheers for all of your responses. Bouyed on by this wave of enthusiasm and the warm glow of an excellent muni outing round Beacon Hill Park on Sunday afternoon I’ve booked two hockey sessions.

The sessions are booked for Tuesday 5th October and Tuesday 12th October for an hour between 8.00pm-9.00pm. The pitch is at Darley Fields, Chester green derby and I’ll sort out a map and some directions shortly. I’m sure that we can possibly arrange to pick people up from Derby Station or other locations. So if you are interested respond here, PM or email to rolandatsuttonukdotcom (replace the at and dot to get that to work) if you need any more information. So come along, even if you’re not particularly keen on hockey as it would good to get some Muni or road rides organised as well.

We should be able to bring some spare sticks - if you have you’re own can it have some form of end protector as I don’t want to have to repeat the trip to casualty that I had last week after getting a stick end in the eye. And also if you could try and have plastic pedals on your one wheeled machine of choice that would be a good thing - might be able to bring some spare pedals myself if you can’t manage that. So, as they say I have “built it” now you’re all supposed to come - it would be really good to get to meet the local unicycle community so hopefully I’ll see you all on the 5th. If anyone has any other suggestions/advice then don’t be shy and post it here - Roll on the 5th

Cheers

Roland

Well done on booking this Rol!
Who’d have thought that from a few comments in the pub the other week that it would have happened so soon?

I’m one of the folks who play with Roland (feel free to insert own joke here) on a Thursday night at Derby juggling club, but we’re limited in numbers and space, so it will be good to have new challengers and more room. I must warn you though that Roland has purchased a new stick (he even brought it around to my house to show it off over the weekend - he looked like a Nike branded grim reaper walking up my driveway).

I also admit to being the bloke who accidentally jabbed him in the eyelid with my stick the other week (despite us being on the same team). Sorry again Rol.
As penance though, I did order everyone new rubber bungs for their sticks. But then if I’d had one in the first place…

Maybe if the lovely Roger at uni.com reads this, he’ll take pity on us and send us a few spare bungs and plastic pedals to make this event go safely and happily? He really is a lovely man that Roger and I’m sure he recalls how helpful we were during the BJC this year in Derby…

Anyway, I look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks,
Gary

a map of the location can be found at http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=435350&Y=337650&A=Y&Z=1 and I’ll post some directions for those who need them in the next day or so - also there are number of good hosteleries around the area as well so I would imagine there will be no shortage of takers for a post hockey cheeky half.

Roland

Might be up for that.

Excellent-does that mean that we can count on top quality match reports as well?

I’m sure Mike would make just as an eloquent job of reporting on unicycle hockey as he does of his other exploits.

My son and his friend have expressed an interest in turning up for some unicycle hockey and I like the idea of a quick half, afterwards :slight_smile: I’ll know closer to the time whether I’m available.

Gary

its looking rather good on the responses so we should be able to have a fine game of hockey and sort out some muni/ other trips as well - so keep them coming

Sounds like it’s taking off - add me to the list i’ll be there if you post details/directions.