dedicated UNI shoes?

So far I’ve been riding my UNI with the shoes I already had. This works, but isn’t the best. They are running shoes and the soles are taller in the back which makes for a strange pedal/foot angle. They are also overly padded so its hard to “feel” where the pedal is sometimes.

I’m getting ready to start trying MUNI and some REALLY basic flatland/trials stuff soon. You guys got an recommendations in the shoe category? I used to wear VANS when I was a skateboarder 25 years ago… :roll_eyes:

A couple posts with good information are:

shoes?
Types of shoes for unicycling

In general skate shoes make good unicycling shoes because of the thin, flat soles with a repeating pattern. However, watch out for the circular part of these Vans:

It makes doing foot on frame tricks like one footed riding, backwards one footed riding, and one footed wheel walking almost impossible.

Also, metal-pinned muni pedals can eat your soles.

People wear shoes while unicycling?

We live in a strange time…

funny how most of the VANS look exactly like they did when I was skating 25 years ago. the only difference is they cost twice as much.

I just got a pair of 5-10 Freerides. Really nice. My feet are well protected and they’re nice and grippy. I never liked the style before but these are growing on me.

+1

they are more durable than vans and stiffer for more efficiency. My mountain b*king cousin loves them.

I got to say i really like the tryall sole b shoes.

They’re on the expensive side, but do last quite well, I just got my second pair because my first one after 2yrs has got holes everywhere… I used to go through various skate shoes alot faster, and I guess ‘good’ skate shoes can easily cost as much as these.

My shoes get destroyed so fast regardless of price. So now I buy Air Speeds from Walmart. The blue and white model matches my uni and has great grip and are wide set for my fat feet. 20 bucks and I can get em anywhere in america on short notice :wink:

Dude, now you’re talking!!! Being a parent with this economy, I am always on a tight budget. Thanks!!!

I paid $.75 and $1 for my last couple pairs of shoes at garage sales, but will go as high as $4 at Goodwill if they’re in good shape with decent tread.

I am usually down for used cloths, but I just cant do shoes or underwear used…

If your feet are on the narrower side the Mad Rock Fury’s are great. It’s a mid height shoe with a sticky rubber dot sole like the 5.10’s. I can’t remember what I paid off hand, but I don’t think it was over $50.

Use the search option please,

I recomend that you use the search option and use existing threads to get the answer instead of opening new ones that are already in existance so we don,t have to hear you wine all over in a new thread, such as all of your last few.

LOBBY the BEATNICK BOPSTER

I have the freerides too. I’m also a mountain biker. :roll_eyes:
It’s really tough. Saved my foot many times, from being crushed between the pedal and the crank today. Was learning how to freemount. :smiley:

It’s a judgment call on whether on not to open a new thread on any given subject. There are plenty of changes over time which justify this and I myself happened to get some good, useful information for this thread. Thanks to OP and everyone who contributed!

Let’s also try to keep things positive!

don’t go bungling me into your strange time.

Dedicated muni shoes

I would actually recommend dedicated muni shoes. I have a pair of 5-10 Nathan Rennies, high tops, that I’ve been running for almost 2 years, I’m getting ready to replace them (I bought 2 pairs so I have a spare waiting), but 2 years of Muni is pretty good for a $75 process tag.

I only wear my shoes when I am on my Muni.