Dealing with dogs

Dogs always go for me too.
I ride in the woods where dogs are never on a lead and they’re generally bigger than their owners!

I ride a 24" muni, so I don’t know if this will apply to your 36" but I generally just slow right down and maybe idle for while to give the owner a chance to call them back. I learnt when I used to MTB that if a dog looks like it wants to give chase then you should just slow down or stop before they feel like the game has begun. As wheel rider pointed out, as soon as you get off the wheel calmly, the dog backs down. They’re probably just wanting to play.
So far on the muni they’ve never gotten beyond barking at my wheel, where I do my best not to watch them, they’ll go around the back and that’s a quick route to an UPD. My motto is just keep going slowly forward, if you can’t see them you won’t hit them.

The simple fact is that when a dog attacks it means it. A bark is a warning (and you will know it), but if you get bitten by a German Shepherd, and it doesn’t properly maul you, then it was playing and there’s no need for mace. If it’s not playing, then good luck getting your mace out and aiming and getting in a good shot before it does you some real damage.

I looked on line at the “dazer” that Jim mentioned. It sounded good so I bought one. I will be carrying it with me for a long time. I am looking forward to it coming in and I can try it out. There is a pack of three that ALWAYS chase me but I have got to know them and they are all bark but there is a new duo that were pups but have now come into their own and do not know when to let up. I need to set them straight fast! They are getting BIG! It really bothers me to think there are places I don’t ride because of the loose animals. I am not a uni-stud like you guys, my top speed is probably 12mph so I really can’t outrun them.

If I remember correctly, making eye contact with a mean/vicious dog, especially a dominant male dog, is considered by the dog to be a major threat and could result in a serious assault from the dog. Eye contact should be avoided unless you think you are meaner than the dog.

If you are being attacked, do you have the ability and presence of mind to maintain control of your unicycle while trying to dodge a vicious dog, avoid pot holes and bumps in the road, miss parked cars, dig the mace out of your pocket and aim at a moving target? A lot happens in a hurry. The unicycle is not to be used as a weapon but as a defensive shield between you and the dog.

I’ve had numerous unleashed dogs come running and barking towards me, some menacing, and I always dismount. They immediately realize I’m human and not some new strange animal riding on one wheel. I do put the uni between me and the dog, just in case, but I’ve never had one decide to keep barking after I dismount. Most dogs are very well behaved, and will not just randomly start attacking a human. One thing I’ve noticed is that dogs are much less likely to start barking at you if you are riding with another unicyclist. Somehow they don’t feel as threatened, or are feeling outnumbered, either way, I don’t have to dismount in these cases.

I think when dogs are out walking with their owners, they are not going to attack you once they realize you are a human. This is probably true with most dogs protecting their property as well. I think mace is rarely the appropriate answer.

I can’t imagine a bear interrupting my uni ride - nice work Saskatchewanian!

Dogs are intelligent animals, and their behaviour is usually predictable and manageable. Unicyclists are intelligent animals, and their behaviour is usually self-manageable. There is no need for all this gung ho shite about using mace spray and unijitsu.

Dogs are motivated by territorial considerations and by dominance within the pack. They will also hunt, play and mate. It is a simple life, and preferable to working in an office.

Never approach an unknown dog that is on its own territory. Especially if it is behind a gate, or on a chain, it will be even more territorial than usual. Never reach over or through a gate or fence to a dog you do not know and trust.

On the other hand, if you act like you have a right to be there, and behave confidently and are “dismissive but friendly” towards the dog, there will not normally be a problem if you do enter a dog’s territory.

If a dog is on a lead, it will act more territorially. It will also be more likely to jump up or be aggressive because it can feel vulnerable. (A loose dog will often feel dominant over a dog on a lead and may attack it.)

Never ride close to a dog that is on a lead. There is no need to do so.

If it is a narrow path, make yourself known to the dog and to the owner, well in advance. Communicate. Dogs can “understand” simple words and tones of voice. So can some dog owners.

If the owner knows you are there, they will usually restrain the dog if they think it is necessary; they know their dog. Most owners are not completely irresponsible idiots; in fact, most are over cautious, fondly beleiving that their little Fifi is a slavering hound. They are out walking their dogs because they like dogs. And mostly they won’t be reckless about exposing themselves to the risk of litigation, either.

If you see a dog ahead on your route, make sure it knows you are there. Click your tongue, whistle, or say, “Good dog”. Act and sound like a friendly human. Don’t try to befriend the dog or make a fuss of it; just sound friendly and unthreatening.

Never ever ride between an owner and the dog (especially if the dog is on a lead! :roll_eyes: ) as this may make the dog run to defend its owner. Never ever go close to children who are in the same party as the dog, because the dog will defend them.

Even big dogs (Rotties, Alsatians, etc.) will usually back down if you speak to them either firmly and confidently, or disparagingly. A simple, “Get down you daft bugger” or “No!” will usually do the trick. Dogs hate to be patronised. It confuses them and they get embarrassed and back down.

Remember that the dog has probably met very few unicyclists in its life. All it sees is a strange fast moving thing that may either be fun to play with, or a threat, or good to hunt. Your job is to clarify in the dog’s mind that you are in fact a good-natured and unthreatening human being who is higher than it in the pack order.

If a dog comes running towards you, and the above tactics don’t work, then dismount. This does two things:

• It eliminates the risk of you falling off and becoming "vulnerable prey" on the ground.
  • It turns you into a conventional human being shape - a shape that the dog can understand. (Many dogs do not have very good vision. They hunt largely by sense of smell.)

Once you are dismounted, place the unicycle betyween you and the dog, with the wheel sideways on. It will look like a solid barrier to the dog. Continue to speak confidently and firmly. If there is an owner nearby, do not be aggressive; the dog will react to the tone, and its instinct will be to defend its own pack.

If necessary, walk rather than ride until the dog is no longer a threat.

Strangely, most dogs will “forget” about you once you are past them. Dogs are curious animals, and will be looking for the next interesting smell.

Never try to hurt the dog. If you succeed, you end up with a potential legal hassle (whether you win or lose) and anyway, it isn’t the dog’s fault. It is only doing what dogs do, and it isn’t the dog’s fault if it hasn’t been properly trained.

Dogs have been part of human society for thousands of years. Unicycling is a very new sport. Don’t be arrogant. Be prepared to give way.

Ellie and Rocco.JPG

The mace should be holstered on a belt, much like a handgun, in order for it to be easily accessible. Should an attack occur, hop off the uni and squirt the dog… it can all be done in one fluid motion.

You’re making it sound like one would transition wheelwalk while removing their Camelbak, unzipping it and digging around in the bottom for something… while the dog is running in a zig-zag pattern some distance away from you… that’s quite absurd.

In reality, the dog will be at your feet by the time you react. There’s no need to take careful aim. Mace is a spray, not a bullet.

That would require you keep a hand or two on the unicycle. How are you supposed to defend yourself without the use of both hands?

Of course, if none of that is macho enough, if a dog bites you, you could go and bomb someone else’s kennels, with no real plans for rebuilding them after you’ve claimed victory. For Christ sake, it’s that sort of macho crap that causes half the world’s problems.

Problem is, understanding and restraint are far too much like hard work, it seems.

FTFY.

There are too many idiots with dogs in the US. I don’t trust a single one, dog or owner.

FTFY, too.

Perhaps I just have a better rapport with dogs than most of you but I really never had all the problems you guys describe. I do run into dogs a fair amount but they never really bother me. Perhaps it is because I grew up with large hunting dogs. I have only been bit once, and I deserved it (accidentally stepping on the tail of a sleeping dog with work boots on).

I agree with everything that Mikefule wrote with the possible exception of whistling at dogs. Our dogs are trained to obey hand signals, spoken commands and whistles. When whistling at a dog you might not know what you are telling it to do.

Many dogs will run right up to you but this does not mean that they will attack; they might if you turn to run or start swinging at it. DON’T pepper spray a dog just because it is coming towards you, this could warp the dogs perception of humans and ruin its training. Just stay calm and confident and it will probably leave you alone.

Dealing with dogs?

THE PITBULL IS A CHEAT!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I think dogs are always interresting; how they respond (or not).
Anyway, a tip for dealing with small dogs (who for some reason by default tend to respond faster and firmer than larger dogs):
unicycle with your toes down, so that the doggy only sees the upperside of your feet
otherwise the pedaling movement may be mistaken for a kicking move.

Ooooh kay… maybe you know something I don’t, but I don’t see how confidence will help during a dog attack…

…the only thing I have confidence in is the fact that a dogs teeth can break my skin.

[quote=saskatchewanian]
I agree with everything that Mikefule wrote

[quote]

Saskatchewanian and Mikefule,
Maybe you guys are a little biased to the dog side of the world.

I have been chased or challenged by so many dogs, while out on a run, in the park, while their arrogant stupid owners where hundreds of feet from controlling their dog, that I am un able to see your point of view.

In a world as populated as the one I live in there is no reason to have an unleashed or uncontrolled dog. NONE.

I like to think about throwing stones at dog owners. Not actually hitting them just coming close. It might be a little scary, but hay I didn’t actually hurt you. That is what the barking chasing dog is like.

[quote=mikefule]
Never try to hurt the dog. If you succeed, you end up with a potential legal hassle (whether you win or lose) and anyway, it isn’t the dog’s fault. It is only doing what dogs do, and it isn’t the dog’s fault if it hasn’t been properly trained.

[quote]

Are you fucking high? Who cares the dog is a menace, it is an animal. If it can’t be controlled it should be put down and the owner sued.

I think you know where my biases lay.

a water bottle always works, just squirt them in the face and they’ll run off

There is no question that a dog can sense fear, excitement, confidence, etc. in a human. I have seen dogs become hostile simply because the person they went to investigate was scared of dogs.

I have been able to control dogs that their owners had no control of because I used an authoritative voice and showed confidence expecting to be obeyed where the owner was timidly asking the dog not to do something and to go back to the car. If a dog will listen to a stranger and not its owner because he/she shows more confidence/authority then I say yes it definitely makes a difference.

I could see how if you are scared of dogs this might be hard for you, especially when the dog knows you are scared.

homemade taser?

i have a feeling when we did it we just pulled the flash out and the wires to that did the shocking. that seems much more complicated. i mite be wrong though

Riding my 36er on a quite gravel road I approached a house some 50-75 metres away from the road. A dachshund came out from the house and out on the road. It ran against me att full speed. At first I found the little thing amusing but the dog didn’t stop. It came straight towards me and when it was only inches away from the tyre the dog quickly throwed itself to the side and jumped up in the air and bit my leg. I continued riding 50 metres but then had to stop and check my leg. It hurt and there was a semi circle pattern of holes where the dachshund had bitten me.

On previous occations I have managed to get out of tricky situations meeting dogs both when riding bicycles and wandering. I always told myself that the secret is to establish some sort of communication with the dog. One has to ‘listen’ as much to oneself as to the dog. But this dachshund just ran up and bite me for no apparent reason.

No, I just know something about the subject and have an informed opinion, and have posted constructively, hoping to help other people to deal with a situation they may be nervous about. You are the person who seems to be recommending violence as a way of resolving problems that could usually have been avoided with a little foresight, understanding and compromise, and the person using abusive language to a stranger in a public forum.