Deaf Or Hard Of Hearing Unicyclists?

Hey i know it seems like a wierd forum to post.
Anyways i am Hearing but i am Training to become an ASL-English interpreter and have many deaf friends. one of which has expressed alot of interest in learning how to unicycle. She asked me if there are any other Deaf or HOH unicyclists? I know there are probaly alot out there, but i wanted to check if there was anyone on the site that is or knows someone else who is deaf and unicycles.
thanks
bry

My wife has 0% hearing in her left ear and 35% hearing in her right and wears hearing aids, she has attempted to learn but I have to say she does not have the same equalibrium as some hearing people, but then again I have met hearing people whos equalibrium is not to swift either. :thinking:
I know someone whom has a complete loss of hearing and is a Sprint car driver with probably a hundred or more wins along with some championships, I have seen him do some incredible driving, I guess he has less distractions while driving.

i am HOH in my left ear, but it is for a really weird reason that i dont feel like posting here

but as it is nothing (really) physically wrong i do not have balance differences

My brother is profoundly deaf and unicycles with me. Will show him this thread when hes next back.

Hes pretty good. Rides a Qu aX 24inch with me and my mate on KH24s all over the place!

Nugz x

there is a hearing impaired unit at my school and some of them are interesed in learning to ride

im hoh, well more like almost stone deaf

I know two profoundly deaf (0% hearing) unicyclists. One is or was a performer in the LA area, and I’m trying to remember her name. She was once pictured in the USA’s On One Wheel, many years ago. I got to meet her at the AADB (American Association of Deaf/Blind) convention a few years back. Something Aiello, I think. Dang! What’s her first name?

The other is my neice Alexa. She learned to ride in 2000 or so, but doesn’t have her own unicycle. Also she’s 16, and if her friends aren’t unicycling she probably isn’t interested. Her cousin Juan was learning to ride, but I don’t know if he ever stuck with it. He now lives down in Riverside, CA so I don’t get to see him much. He’s deaf too.

I’m not aware of balance being affected in most of the deaf people I know (I know a lot; my wife’s company has more than 50 deaf employees). I think most hearing loss is not inner-ear related. If riding the unicycle seems impossible at first, that only proves you’re human. :slight_smile:

Cool, sounds like there are alot of unicyclist that are HOH or Deaf. Addtionally i think in most part people’s balance is not normally affected (in my experience in anycase). Some are however, i know a friend of mine finds her balance is better with hearing aids in, i found that interesting. who knows why but if it works it works. John where does your wife work?
thanks for the reply i will tell my friend, i know she will be exsited.
cheers
bry

I was deaf when I was born, does that count?

I can hear but I am learning ASL. My teacher has balance problems because she lost hearing at two different points (for each ear). I guess she said there is a different amount of fluid in each of her ears.

My wife works here (the new web site will be much better, and talk about a great place to work if you’re deaf. It’s in the works). The deaf performer from the LA area is Pinky! Pinky Aiello. I knew she had a memorable name, soon as I remembered it!

Re: Deaf Or Hard Of Hearing Unicyclists?

On Mar 1, 9:52 pm, vicuniclub
<vicunic...@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
> Hey i know it seems like a wierd forum to post.
> Anyways i am Hearing but i am Training to become an ASL-English
> interpreter and have many deaf friends. one of which has expressed alot
> of interest in learning how to unicycle. She asked me if there are any
> other Deaf or HOH unicyclists? I know there are probaly alot out there,
> but i wanted to check if there was anyone on the site that is or knows
> someone else who is deaf and unicycles.
> thanks
> bry

I have taught 4 deaf people to ride the unicycle. I am currently
teaching a circus program in a deaf school, and while I am not
including unicycle in this program, I have 6 walking the tightrope, 3
walking on globes, and another 6 or so walking on stilts.

When I started this program I expected more balance issues. Most of
the students I am working with are progressing no differently that a
hearing kid would with the same skills. Just be careful, as a
significant enough portion of the deaf/hoh community have inner ear
issues that DO have major effects on balance. I have not yet found
any really good techniques for overcomming this, but I am still
working on it.