Dangers of using regular bicycle helmets ?

I was told by one of the skate park operators that two inline skaters became paraplegics because they were involved in accidents @ the skate park when their bicycle helmets split open and failed to protect their brains…

I don’t know if this is true or not, but it seems crazy…

I was looking at some of the pics in the gallery and I found one of a rider with a bike helmet and it reminded me of what the guy told me so I posted this.

two nights ago I went to the store and bought a regular skate/inline helmet… its a BELL … hard plastic shell with thick material inside and it fits me just right… cost $ 30 new.

It has the tony hawk eagle on each side but I don’t mind it… its grey colored…

Does anyone think its safer to wear the skate helmets vs the regular bicycle helmets while riding uni ?

yeah i think its safer
if you have a look at defect when kris holms sectio0n is on you see a stack and his head was about an inch or two away from a fence point type thing

Yes a thicker helmet with more padding is almost certainly going to be safer, skate helmets are also better because they cover more of your head, particularly the back and sides.

Howver, you have to draw the line somewhere, why not wear a motorbike helmet, or even a car racing helmet? Some people decide that a skate helmet is just too heavy and cumbersome to wear, while others go further and get full face helmets.

Of course every helmet has a limit, a few years ago a guy at my local skatepark ended up in a coma for quite some time even though he was wearing a good helmet (although he did go on to make a full recovery) but he fell from over 20ft on to the floor, no matter how good your helmet is it can’t protect you from everything.

There is also suggestion that helmets increase injury during accidents (search for threads in which ian smith posted for explanations) so all this could be wrong, it just depends which side of the argument you believe

As far as I have heard bicycle helmets are constructed for one hard knock, then they need to be thrown away.
Skate helmets are designed to take many smaller impacts, although if they become visibly damaged or you get knocked unconscious in one I’d probably bin it anyway.

I think the skate helmets are far better for coverage and protection. However, there is a heat dissipation problem. There’s a vast difference in cooling power between the two styles. Anyone know of a helmet that does both well?

i wear a skate helmet for trials and bike helmet for muni. it’s a heat thing.

I think skate helmets do protect better than most bike helmets…but for what most people do on unicycles, bike helmets would probably work okay.

A bike helmet’s better than nothing. I’d expect that the better coverage of a skate helmet would be helpful riding on stairs/walls/rails, which do have lots of corners that could get at the bits a bike helmet doesn’t cover.

BTW: Unconcious means concussion. Go to the hospital if it happens. You can seriously black out for a few seconds, and be just fine until your brain swells the next day.

Cycling helmets are a compromise between protection and ventilation, and as somebody mentioned earlier, they’re only designed to take one hard crash. I wear a bike helmet for muni because I’m a cyclist and that’s the type of helmet I’ve got - but a skate-type helmet certainly covers more of the head. I’ve never tried a skate helmet, but they look like they would get pretty warm on a hard ride. I’ve only ever hit my head really hard and that was while biking on the road (hit some ice). That was hard enough to crack the helmet but I got away with a stiff neck for a couple of days. I used to be very against wearing a helmet for biking (because of the heat), but in the last few years I’ve got used to it and now I always wear one even on the road - I suppose the same might be true of a skate helmet given time to adjust.

Rob

It is quite possible that those two people were riding with already damaged helmets (due to previous hits) and that’s why the helmets failed to protect them adequately. A bicycle style helmet is good for one hit. After that one hit the helmet needs to be replaced because it is now damaged and may not protect you on the next hit. Even if you cannot see a visible dent or crack in the helmet it should be replaced after getting your head conked on the ground.

A bicycle helmet is not a good choice for an inline skater or skateboarder in a skate park. Falls are common. Hitting your head on the ground or some other object is also common for that style of skating. Even if the hit is not hard enough to have injured you without the helmet it is possible that the hit did damage the bike helmet. Enough of those little hits and the helmet is damaged enough that it will no longer protect you from the big hit that the wearer expects the helmet to protect them from.

That’s why it would be better for a skater to use a BMX/skate helmet that is designed for multiple impacts. It’s a different design than the bike style helmets.

I feel that a bicycle style helmet would be fine for unicycle street style riding and unicycle trials style riding. Unicyclists in that style of riding don’t take multiple little hits to the head like aggressive skaters can. The unicyclist just needs to be aware that if the helmet does take a good hit that it needs to be replaced.

Re: Dangers of using regular bicycle helmets ?

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, wobblyjohn <> wrote:
>
> A bike helmet’s better than nothing.

That’s far from proved. I expect you can find teh arguments if you
care to search for them.

> BTW: Unconcious means concussion. Go to the hospital if it happens. You
> can seriously black out for a few seconds, and be just fine until your
> brain swells the next day.

Brain swelling the next day is compression, not concussion.
Concussion always gets better with time (it happens immediately and
you gradually recover). Compression gets worse with time. You can,
however, have concussion and compression from the same blow to teh
head.

In general, it is a good idea to be checked over if you suffer any
significant brain injury. Unconsciousness following a blow to teh
head is a significant brain injury.

regards, Ian SMith

|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ |

I have three helmets that I use, depending on the riding.

I use a Giro “Xen” for most trials and street riding. I remember that this was significantly expensive – even on sale. It has the low protection in the back (like a skate helmet) and offers significant ventilation at about 1/2 the weight of a traditional skate helmet. When riding slowly (trials/street) here in Memphis you need all the vents you can get without too much compromising the protection.

I have a Giro “Eclipse” that I use for Cokering and bike riding. This is one of those $100+, yet disposable, bike helmets but it has tons of vents, very light.

When I travel by plane I always take along a skate-style helmet. I have found that most of the time my helmets get damaged not by crashing but in transit or otherwise when not on my head. The skate helmets are not easily damaged and I trust them with my cerebral mainframe.

Tommy

unless you’re a trials rider or are really klutzy, i’d say a bike helmet would do fine. i wear a bmx helmet myself and it has nize ventilation holes in the top. it’s pretty comfy and didn’t cost TOO much. i think it’s pretty safe because it covers the back and sides of my head. still, if you’re doing like insane things like backflips or whatever, perhaps a high-impact motorcycle helmet would work. actually, if i was doing that i’d just get the body cast pre-ordered. :smiley:

unless you’re a trials rider or are really klutzy, i’d say a bike helmet would do fine. i wear a bmx helmet myself and it has nize ventilation holes in the top. it’s pretty comfy and didn’t cost TOO much. i think it’s pretty safe because it covers the back and sides of my head. still, if you’re doing like insane things like backflips or whatever, perhaps a high-impact motorcycle helmet would work. actually, if i was doing that i’d just get the body cast pre-ordered. :smiley:

I bought an Azonic Skid Lid and have been quite happy with its “cooling power”…

I fell last weekend and sorta rolled back onto my head. Im fairly sure that I would have hit my neck on the pavement without a skate helmet. Just my two cents, a skate helmet is better, I dont think the ventlation is a problem with mine.

The skate helmets might have better coverage, but if I was going to put my head in something and bash it against something else at 35km/h, I would go for the bike helmet. It’s designed to minimise one major impact, not multiple small dings. So I would say that a bike helmet gives you better protection when it matters; but skate helmets might last longer from more trivial bumps.

When im doing Street or minimal Trials, then a skateing helmet is just fine for handeling falls from a few feet, but if im doing extreme stuff, like, higher then 6-7 feet, then the bicycle helmet would be better, one bad fall from that height would need all the protection you can get =p