Dan Heaton's Amazing Jump Analized (pic)

Like the bright boy I am, I went hop-crazy yesterday- without a warm up. Now I get to be an arm chair cyclist with a ruined back. So…

For those of you who have not seen it, Jeff Lutkus captured an amazing rolling hop on to a car performed by Dan Heaton at last years NUC. You can see it here:

Look or go Blinde

Watching this the first time was a real WTF moment for me- so was the 31st time! I wanted to understand what was happening, so that (in all humility) I might try to employ his technique. To do that I needed to see every frame. Included here is an image with what I think are key frames from the vid.

In frame 13, we see Dan puting on the speed he’ll need to carry him through the jump- this is important, as he manages to perserve alot of the momentum developed at this step.

In frame 17, Dan begins to fold his body and bring the wheel forward. This looks like no big deal, at first- but I think it illustrates a critical point in his technique. A fraction of a second from here he will explode out of this posture and uncoil his body in conjunction with the spring. While this is readily evident, take special note of the advancing wheel. Often when I attempt a really aggressive rolling hop, I get up to speed then loose power (not momentum) when pushing off. This is because in my rush I’m too far forward- I end up pushing the wheel away from me as much as myself from it (which is counterproductive, if you plan to take it with you). This posture also puts me in a poor position to spring from, being partly extended. When Dan advances his wheel, he regains proper posture and creates a firm foundation with the wheel under him- not behinde.

Frame 19 showes the wheel well advance and Dan’s center of gravity behind the axel. This will allow Dan to continue moving forward with the wheel under him when he begins to launch.

1. Here Dan starts to unfold as he begins the hop. Check out the pedal position! The back pedal is almost straight down! This is the pedal that gives up the wheel’s energy in opposition to his hop. By starting the hop here, he is able to bear down with his chocolate foot before it springs- sending more energy into the opposing pedal… or something like that…ya. Ehem. Note the tire compression- evidance that the hop has begun.

2. Boom! Dan unfolds and launches ‘off’ the pedals.

3. Fully extended, off the ground, Dan is air-born. Check out that posture! That spine is straight off the axel! Strong link with seat hand.

4. Dan continues to ride his own local anti-gravity well. Same posture. Very tight!

31-36. The wheel is lifted up and forward as Dan folds himself in half. If there was any doubt about weather or not you can get an ab workout on a uni, it’s been settled here. For most of the fold Dan draws the cycle up as he bends at the waist, doubling the height of the wheel. Only at the last does he milk a few more inches out of the fold by bringing his pecs and knees together. Take a look at the position of his hips before and after the fold, compared to the horizon.

In frame 41 Dan sticks the landing with the majority of his weight behind the axel, and recovers into a more upright postion in frame 44, where he begins to transition for the next portion of his ascent.

Uhh… Sophie says I have to go play with her now, so I’ll stop pontificating. I probably missed or missrepresented a good deal of what actual is going on- Dan, or whoever, please chime in- maybe we can all get a little higher.

Christopher

Dan must be younger than me. I don’t think I can do that. Don’t hurt yourself too badly or you won’t be able to dance with Sophie anymore.

Thats really crazy. I was checking out all of Jeff’s videos and pics last night, and watched the same video like 20 times. Great minds think alike.
-David Kaplan

Re: Dan Heaton’s Amazing Jump Analized (pic)

Is it just me, or does this typo make it sound like
Dan ended up with the seat jammed far up his
rectum? :slight_smile:

I suspect you meant “analysed”.

Arnold the Aardvark

Is it just me, or does this typo make it sound like
Dan ended up with the seat jammed far up his
rectum? :slight_smile:

I suspect you meant “analysed”.

Arnold the Aardvark

Out of interest, does Dan ride trials with shorter than usual (125mm) cranks
or am I thinking of someone else who said they did? That’d help for those
real bursts of speed to get them amazing jumps?

Joe

Arnold the Aardvark wrote:
> I suspect you meant “analysed”.

Er, unless Americans have recently learned how to spell proper English
(like what we does), I suspect he meant “analyzed”. :slight_smile:

> Arnold the Aardvark

Regards,
Mark.

Fujitsu Telecom Europe Ltd,| o
Solihull Parkway, | In the land of the pedestrian, /|
Birmingham Business Park, | the one-wheeled man is king. <<
Birmingham, ENGLAND. | O

9th British Unicycle Convention - April 19th-21st 2002
7th Birmingham Circus Convention - May 4th 2002

That almost happened to him in Universe…

John

“Arnold the Aardvark” <aardvark@NOTTHIStubulidentata.demon.co.uk> wrote in
news:1015495859.19542.0.nnrp-07.c246aeef@news.demon.co.uk:

> Is it just me, or does this typo make it sound like
> Dan ended up with the seat jammed far up his
> rectum? :slight_smile:
>
> I suspect you meant “analysed”.
>
>
> Arnold the Aardvark
>
>

Re: Re: Dan Heaton’s Amazing Jump Analized (pic)

Christopher LeFay in the middle of a spelling controversy…with the Brits, no less. Life just keeps getting better.

that almost happened to everyone in Universe… Multiple times, and if you wait till the very end (after the credits) you will see it happen even more times. Yes, there is hidden video at the end, like in Austin Powers 2.
-David Kaplan

Re: Re: Re: Dan Heaton’s Amazing Jump Analized (pic)

And after all the effort I make, spell’n things like ‘colour’- this is the
thanks I get from the mother country? It’s spelled correct- I was just
giving you fair warning that you were about to embark on a short trip down
an odiously long path, alla a Froidian Odysseus. Ya.

Christopher

Yeah but there was one really obvious one where he was practicing in a
room and tried to spin the uni under him and didn’t land back on the seat
right. He landed right on the front edge of the seat and kind of tiptoed
away from the falling uni, holding his ass.

John

UniDak <UniDak.15ynm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
news:UniDak.15ynm@timelimit.unicyclist.com:

>
> Johnny B wrote:
>> *That almost happened to him in Universe… *
> that almost happened to everyone in Universe… Multiple times, and if
> you wait till the very end (after the credits) you will see it happen
> even more times. Yes, there is hidden video at the end, like in Austin
> Powers 2.
> -David Kaplan
>
>
> –
> UniDak - David Kaplan
>
> I’m a b3/4/v5 c+ r d m+ w++! q k e++ t s g- f juggler. To make sense of
> these letters, look at www.lpbk.net/jc/
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> UniDak’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/311
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/16771
>

I’m feeling nostalgic so: “ressurect”

The like doesn’t work for me and I really want to see it.

Daniel

From one of his posts, John Childs to the rescue again:

>The links in the thread are no longer valid so I have copied the video
>and graphic to my ‘Miscellaneous Stuff gallery’
>(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs_misc).
> I edited the video to clean up
>the interlacing and shorten the length.

That link’s dead, where can we download the car jump?

cheers

See prior post: :slight_smile:

Here is the direct link to the Frame by Frame.

speechless

How high of a jump is that?
I did a 26" jump…lol I cannot tell how high that is…but I naturally Rolling hop. it’s kinda weird. Like I saw Dan do a rolling hop and I wnated to do it like him but I was already doing it…

What I want to know is how can you always have your cranks in the right position to do a rolling hop? I obviously don’t want to set it up just right, that’s like cheating, or something. But it seems like my crank arms are always in just the wrong position to hop.